where to next from AMG Viella V12

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
I'm also considering to upgrade my AMG Viella V12. Mainly because I want to use multiple tonearms and I'm not happy with the adjustability/reproducibility of the 12J2 tonearm. I listened to a GPA Parabolica with Triplanar tonearm a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. I'm going back on Friday to compare the Parabolica to the Monaco, both with the Kuzma 4Point. We'll see where this goes! I might just buy the new AMG tonearm pod and upgrade the 12J2 tonearm to the 12J2 Turbo.

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I'm also considering to upgrade my AMG Viella V12. Mainly because I want to use multiple tonearms and I'm not happy with the adjustability/reproducibility of the 12J2 tonearm. I listened to a GPA Parabolica with Triplanar tonearm a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. I'm going back on Friday to compare the Parabolica to the Monaco, both with the Kuzma 4Point. We'll see where this goes! I might just buy the new AMG tonearm pod and upgrade the 12J2 tonearm to the 12J2 Turbo.

I'd like to hear your report on what you heard with the Monaco and Parabolica. Who is the dealer?

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden

The Turbo tonearm is a much valuable upgrade to the original arm in terms of both performance and adjustability.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
The Turbo tonearm is a much valuable upgrade to the original arm in terms of both performance and adjustability.

I think upgrading to the Turbo could be an option for me. One reason I’m unhappy with the non-Turbo 12J2 tonearm is not only the lack of repeatability of the settings, but also not being able to know how much anti-skate is being used. My Ortofon Anna got ruined by having the anti-skate set too high, and I don’t want to go down that path again.

While the Anna was being repaired I started switching different cartridges in and out of the 12J2, which helped me better understand the importance of being able to adjust the tonearm in a reproducible manner.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I think upgrading to the Turbo could be an option for me. One reason I’m unhappy with the non-Turbo 12J2 tonearm is not only the lack of repeatability of the settings, but also not being able to know how much anti-skate is being used. My Ortofon Anna got ruined by having the anti-skate set too high, and I don’t want to go down that path again.

While the Anna was being repaired I started switching different cartridges in and out of the 12J2, which helped me better understand the importance of being able to adjust the tonearm in a reproducible manner.

Got it. I'm sorry to hear about the injured Anna.

I believe you will be very happy with the Turbo arm though. Personally, I find it hard to go back to the former/older version. The Turbo is a breeze to setup where you can also adjust all of the settings easily on the fly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing