Where have all the LPs gone?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
everyone has a right to collect things for their own reasons. there is no 'right way' to do it. but to me this is sad.

I think it unlikely that this particular collection of records will attain it's best use in the long run. this guy will not live forever......and whoever ends up as responsible for these records after this guy is gone is unlikely to feel the same.

how many of these records will ever be played again?

I hope that something positive happens.

in 20 years maybe we will find out.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Well, he won't get mine! (Unless he makes an offer my daughter can't refuse after I'm no longer here! )

Larry

Analog Kid

Sep 17, 2014
Something's driving him. But I don't think it is sitting down and relaxing, and getting lost in the music.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

That's a ridiculous price for LPs, but someone might pay it.

Ki, have I ever played this for you? It's a box set of stereo albums that were pressed by Decca and designed for the modern radio station in 1957. It was a limited edition, and only given to the heads of radio stations to illustrate the quality of sound and recording that Decca made. Not sure how many copies were pressed, but it's extremely rare.

Designed for 57.jpg

in Designed for 57.jpg

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
If you really want to know the sound Decca was capable of in its heyday, try this superb collection. 50 CDs for about 100 bucks for about the best that Classical music has to offer in performances and sound. A must have for any audiophile who loves classical music.

decca .jpg

Last edited:

Portugal

Jan 13, 2013
(...)

I think it unlikely that this particular collection of records will attain it's best use in the long run. this guy will not live forever......and whoever ends up as responsible for these records after this guy is gone is unlikely to feel the same.
(...)

He is creating a foundation / institution called Emporium Musical that will own, manage and give public access to the collection.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing