What's the Best Travel Speaker?

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Looking to purchase a pair of small powered speakers for travel.The source will be a laptop running iTunes with lossless files and an external DAC. Suggestions?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The Jawbone Jambox is pretty neat !

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
Looking to purchase a pair of small powered speakers for travel.The source will be a laptop running iTunes with lossless files and an external DAC. Suggestions?

How 'small' is small? As will all things audio, you can go a lot of ways here. There are a lot of active speaker options. In how big of a room do expect to use them? How loud do they need to play?

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Would be used for use in a timeshare condo or cruise ship cabin. Perhaps something like this:
Audio Engine A2+ or A5+
A2plusB-thumb.jpg

Doesn't need to fill large room or play extremely loud.

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
The Audioengine stuff is pretty good. Hard to go wrong at that price if it fits your needs.

Peachtree DeepBlue 2 also might be worth a look. Not sure when that will be available retail.

AudGuy

Oct 3, 2012
I was exposed to one of these Bluetooth Speakers
soundlink_mini_si_lg.jpg
and I liked it enough that I would recommend one.

Is it Hi-Fidelity, not really, does it play loud, no ... but it does make nice sound and it's super convenient.
It talks to Bluetooth devices, lasts about 15 hours and is small and very portable.
Also modest at $219 US.

See it here: Bose soundlink_mini/

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
I was exposed to one of these Bluetooth Speakers
View attachment 17635
and I liked it enough that I would recommend one.

Is it Hi-Fidelity, not really, does it play loud, no ... but it does make nice sound and it's super convenient.
It talks to Bluetooth devices, lasts about 15 hours and is small and very portable.
Also modest at $219 US.

See it here: Bose soundlink_mini/

I took one of these with me on my last trip to Hawaii. Definitely not hi-fi but amazing sound given the size. I was streaming hi-res files from my Macbook Air via Bluetooth. I was asked to turn the music down a few times so it's loud enough for holiday tunes.

Guillaume

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing