What would one need to spend to buy a system like yours?

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I am curious, but understand that many would not want to put the figure down in print (wife might be monitoring the website!). But, in order to get an idea of where we are in the spectrum, how much would someone have to spend to duplicate your (best if you have more than one) audio system?

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Might be best to set this up as an anonymous poll.

Reactions: HughP3 and dbeau

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Used or new?

Does it include vinyl and tape.

I buy tapes in small spurts. The other day I realized I had $14k in tapes. Kind of set me back for a moment.

I could have bought a basic Tesla with my hardware investment. But then again, my stuff should last at least 2 to 3 automobiles lifetimes. And I use it more than a car.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
"Street" value of my system is south of $20K. With all due respect, I find the current pricing structure of hi end audio absurb and I have no desire to spend any more dollars on this hobby except for music. I've stopped the never ending pursuit several years ago and just enjoy the music.

Last edited:

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I have about £70,000 invested just in the hardware, vinyl playback only. I am an unhealthy fat old bloke and can't justify that expenditure even to myself other than to say I have finally got the sound I have been trying to recreate for the past 50 years, but for how long? Many members of this forum have put together very good systems for far less, and more than a few members have systems costing considerably more. I just wanted to get some idea of where my dream system puts me. If an anonymous survey would work better, would someone set it up for me as I haven't a clue as to how this is done?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I believe you would get many more responses with an anonymous survey. I wonder why?

Last edited:

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I agree that this should be an anonymous survey, I would consider inputing to one.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Might be best to set this up as an anonymous poll.
Would you set up an anonymous poll for me? I’m clueless to be certain.

rando

Sep 22, 2019

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Based on the system signatures, I am going to speculate that the majority of folks that frequently post, excluding manufacture reps and retailers, have systems north of $500K and some clearly more than $1M.

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
WAF (wife approval factor) - $32,000
Retail - $85,000
MAF (my attitude factor) - PRICELESS

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
To me, this is not how I think about my audio system.
With most of my friends who want to get into audio, I usually ask them how much they want to spend and how do they want to play their music (vinyl/CD/streaming) and then I try to optimize their system within their budget for them.
And then if they enjoy what they have already but now have the audiophile bug, and they decide they want to spend more money on their hobby, we chat about what is their best bang for their buck in terms of upgrades.
Fortunately, I have never had friends who want to spend 5 figures right off the bat because I have to admit, I would not recommend anyone getting into audio systems new to spend that much money. What if they decided they didn't really want that nice a system to begin with. I learnt this the hard way myself - blew a very low 4-figure amount on a luxury watch and then realized I don't like luxury watches. And no, I wouldn't suddenly like luxury watches if I started with a 6-figure one.
I think a hobby is a hobby. We can spend as much as we can afford in it. But the spending should not define us or the hobby.
I hope that makes sense.
Besides, I think source material aside, the primary determinant of sound is actually room acoustics/seat/speaker positioning (and if needs be DSP) followed by the gear. So great audio can be had for reasonable prices. And if that's too expensive, there are always headphone options that are even cheaper.

Reactions: facten

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
I have a $125K or so tied up in 2 systems and state that only for context. One thing that I have taken pleasure in has been instead of selling some equipment that I was moving on from providing it to 3 younger folks that I know in order to get them started . They enjoy music but don't have the resources at this juncture to make the investment. The smiles on their faces and their resulting enjoyment made not selling more than worthwhile.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
facten, welcome to the Forum!

Your post was heartening and something we often forget. A little bit of charity goes a long way and what better gift is there than the good sound of music!!!

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Thank you gleeds for the welcome and your comment

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing