What Tube Preamps Synergize Well with CH Precision?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Oh, and I had many of the Analogue Production tapes as I started a tape collection.... but then I sold everything tape related. I did not like the medium. My LPs sounded better and I would have had to put a lot more money into hardware to make it compete. Given how crappy some of the tapes were and how much trouble it is to play tapes, I decided I would be happier without the format.
Some would say that selling your tape stuff was an act of bravery. Not sure about that, but telling everyone that story surely is!! You've now got a world of tape heads scrambling for valium! o_O

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi Ian, would really appreciate if you could share your thoughts on the various cables and racks you try out. Many thanks
I will absolutely do that on my system thread.... within the next week. I've made good progress!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have read the review and as far as i understand this was a one of model / limited edition .
(I must say J valin has come a long way with measurements included in the review / technical details etc , 10 - 15 years ago it read more like an ad story then a actual review . :) )
It looks like to have been a transition model to the current M series .
A closed design especially requires a lot of membrane surface for bass impact and it seems like a good bang for buck bandwidth wise with the 3 10 inch nanotec woofers .
It looks like the wilson maxx / alexx of the speaker line up meaning a lot of membrane surface for not to much money
Whether nanotec / graphene coated midranges sound as natural in the long run then a good old fashioned well executed paper membrane can be discussed .
It all comes down to what you think of a speaker after 2-3 months at home and all the marketing talk is forgotten
After you have spend your hard ( or not so hard ) earned cash .
Freq response wise it looks like a good balanced speaker , with a flat gradual downslope, not causing much high freq fatigue.

But as M lavigne has also stated .
In todays world you have quite a few speaker designs where they are not the system limiting factor , this seems to be such a speaker .
Well executed design for not a too big a room .

By the way his so called reference ( Raidho , Magico Q5 ) i dont care for very much .
Also i havent heard this speaker myself so i cant say much about it

The limiting factor these days are the recordings imo
Meaning recording engineers who leave a too big a mark on the recording somehow .

Last edited:
Reactions: MadFloyd

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Gian, that's quite a collection. You must have the most understanding audiophile wife on the planet!!! :)

So Gian met his wife in school. He then stopped focusing on women and turned his attention to audio. I also started traveling for audio and got intense after I settled down in a relationship. Till then my focus was doing things that made me attractive on dates. Christoph, iirc had one system when he got married and it grew to 5 or 6 later. Ron upgraded from his 20 year Logans after he settled with rinks Tinka.

So, do men after they settle in a relationship and lose interest in playing the field, start flexing their equipment on other men? Do we have any single guy here who is actively dating who is active in audio?

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I travel too much .
But this forum functions sometimes as a therapy for all the shit i get at a construction site in egypt/ algeria or peru :)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Not to worry, Caesar. Everybody will be on to something else than CH in a year or two or three. Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.57.58 AM.png

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
So, do men after they settle in a relationship and lose interest in playing the field...
Audiophiles never lose interest in playing the field. It's just another kind of field. And from speaking to my audio buddies who have been divorced, the equipment kind of field is generally cheaper than the other kind of field (which generally has limited options to accept global feedback!) :rolleyes:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I switch gear out every 7 years based on past behavior. Coincidence? Good thing that is audio and not romantic life LOL

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Audiophiles never lose interest in playing the field. It's just another kind of field. And from speaking to my audio buddies who have been divorced, the equipment kind of field is generally cheaper than the other kind of field (which generally has limited options to accept global feedback!) :rolleyes:

Women are zero feedback. You just can't give them feedback, like if they put on weight

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Oh, and I had many of the Analogue Production tapes as I started a tape collection.... but then I sold everything tape related. I did not like the medium. My LPs sounded better and I would have had to put a lot more money into hardware to make it compete. Given how crappy some of the tapes were and how much trouble it is to play tapes, I decided I would be happier without the format.
Me a mechanical guy ( in my profession) like the predictability tape brings .
Besides demagnitizing / cleaning the heads once in a while , the only trouble is rewinding before you start which is not to bad in my view.
Adjusting the cart properly can be quit tricky.
The time i dropped my precious koetsu needle besides the record onto the SME platter was the final cure.

But i have some tapes ( lets say 10 -15 %) in which you can immediately hear the enourmous potential the medium has .
Its the recording engineers that screw it up imo due to either wrong mike placement or mixing the recording in such a way that most gets lost.

Btw i have also heard extremely convincing LP playback , but my view so far ( i have probably not heard the ultra top of the line LP play back) is that tape blows a slightly bigger bubble with more dynamic contrast but only so with 10-15 % of the best tapes .
Digital recordings done right can be also very good( 10 -15 % ) , im quit happy with the old ML 360 S playback.

Ps Regarding rock for example , i have 3 versions of Deep purple/ Child in time on tape ( about 1K euros total ) and from only one version i can say yes thats a real improvement .
Cost / versus diminishing returns

Last edited:
Reactions: MadFloyd

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I travel too much .
But this forum functions sometimes as a therapy for all the shit i get at a construction site in egypt/ algeria or peru :)
Egypt? Wow. Brave!

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
So Gian met his wife in school. He then stopped focusing on women and turned his attention to audio. I also started traveling for audio and got intense after I settled down in a relationship. Till then my focus was doing things that made me attractive on dates. Christoph, iirc had one system when he got married and it grew to 5 or 6 later. Ron upgraded from his 20 year Logans after he settled with rinks Tinka.

So, do men after they settle in a relationship and lose interest in playing the field, start flexing their equipment on other men? Do we have any single guy here who is actively dating who is active in audio?
Interesting... audio had always been huge for me even when I was single... big chuck of disposable income went to music software/hardware beside dating. Speakers were Martin Logan CLS I's, and I set a spot light behind one of the speakers at an angle, so when I brought dates home I put on some music on LP12, and the only light in the room would be the spot light behind the CLS...

Reactions: bonzo75

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've got to say, bringing home dates is a situation wherein Digital has analog beat. An LP is not what you want to be turning over LOL

Uh-oh I hope I haven't triggered green font LOL

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've got to say, bringing home dates is a situation wherein Digital has analog beat. An LP is not what you want to be turning over LOL

Uh-oh I hope I haven't triggered green font LOL
Double entendre by "Master Jack" ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing