What music for what room?

I noticed that MF is reviewing the new Wilson XLF's. Look for a pair of slightly used Maxx 3's to be showing up on A'gon very soon:rolleyes:. I guess if Maxx 3's can fit in his room, then XLF's can fit just as well;).

I dunno....the XLF is 2.5 x the cost of the Maxx 3. But let's see!

He did not buy the DartZeel mono blocks which called the best amps
He has ever heard..

I certainly would like to hear the system.

I am more curious as to how Harley will juggle the XLF and Q7.

I dunno....the XLF is 2.5 x the cost of the Maxx 3. But let's see!

He did not buy the DartZeel mono blocks which called the best amps
He has ever heard..

I certainly would like to hear the system.

I am more curious as to how Harley will juggle the XLF and Q7.

The price never seemed to be a true detriment to MF before, LOL:D. His Continuum TT attests to that....although I heard he did get a 'killer' accommodation price for it. I'm pretty sure that the same will
apply to the XLF.
I guess HD at DartZeel didn't fall in line with this philosophy:confused:

It will be interesting to see how Harley juggles the XLF and the Q7...BUT I have a feeling he won't go with either, instead I have a "feeling" he will become a Lansche man;)

Hi

In my experience. Listening position is as important as speaker position. I prefer to be at the same distance from the back wall as the speakers. The room dimensions must be such that the drivers integrate at the listening position. if the dimensions are such that this is realized. the speaker however big and however extended in the bass can be made to work in the room. Paradoxically that often involves subwoofers, emphasis on the plural. Multi-subs. IME the best way to deal with the irregularities in response in all rooms and especially the smaller ones.

Rooms acoustic already a complicated issue can be quite a challenge in smaller rooms. it is, for example, very important to control the RT60 for clarity and reduced listening fatigue and since the "big" speakers are able to produce higher SPL, it is important that absorption (mainly) and diffusion be used to control reflections in the smaller rooms and of course RT60... Putting big speakers in a small room is feasible but attention (more?) should be paid to these details..

One more thing that I want to stress and so far most audiophiles do not seem to care for it is the need to find a good acoustician or acoustics firm. If one is going to invest several tens of thousands of dollars in a music system, it is wise and rewarding to allocate a good portion say at least 15% of your component budget (Speaker, cables, electronics, accessories) to room treatment and acoustic optimization and consultation.. The difference brought in by the better of these services can be staggering.

I noticed that MF is reviewing the new Wilson XLF's. Look for a pair of slightly used Maxx 3's to be showing up on A'gon very soon:rolleyes:. I guess if Maxx 3's can fit in his room, then XLF's can fit just as well;).

HiFiNews just published the review of the XLF by Ken Kessler and Paul Miller. Both are enthusiastic - something normal in KK, less usual in PM, who used a Devialet to carry the review and is a technically oriented person. I can guess the limited technical data available in the review - FR between 200 and 40 KHz and a comment on bass performance will probably fuel debates in WBF!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing