What music do you use to evaluate DACs?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have a thought Bruce. To make the job easier when doing AB test, I like to hear the same thing over and over again. After all, you don't want to hear a note in equipment A and note two in equipment B. So how about we take the right few seconds and loop it for 3-5 minutes. It would be nasty to listen to but we are not trying to enjoy the music, but figure out what's wrong with our gear.

What say you?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I like this one:

In particular, track 4 - Canon in D.

Amir, since you asked for our DAC evaluation music, what music do you use to evaluate CODECs? I think that they would be just as relevant because many DACs have built-in SRCs.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I have a thought Bruce. To make the job easier when doing AB test, I like to hear the same thing over and over again. After all, you don't want to hear a note in equipment A and note two in equipment B. So how about we take the right few seconds and loop it for 3-5 minutes. It would be nasty to listen to but we are not trying to enjoy the music, but figure out what's wrong with our gear.

What say you?
This sounds like a job for Audacity. Copy a key piece of the waveform, and paste it over and over again, you get the idea. Should do the trick ...

Frank

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We used a number of them Gary.

Castanet was one of the most challenging. No codec at almost any bitrate is transparent to it. Unfortunately I can't find the MPEG version online anywhere. This one is close to give you an idea: http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=57299

You can actually hear the pre-echo in the streaming version.

Next was Harpsichord. Another MPEG clip, it has rich harmonics that would magically change.

Then we had simple things like people applauding. This was an MPEG test but there wasn't anything special about it.

Male and Female solo voices are also commonly used. Suzanne Vega's song "Tom's Diner" is the track where she just sings with no music.

All in all, the theme was to have a a focused test clip that would severely push the codec. No audiophile tracks. No classical music since it is harmonic and pretty easy to compress.

In the old days, I used to have my own collection of popular music I used. Unfortunately I lost one of my servers and all the files are gone.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The best way I evaluate something is to listen to a small sample, around 20-30 seconds of music. I listen to this in a loop about 12-15 times, THEN quickly change to your other DAC. You will need a pre that can quickly switch between sources and be able to match signal gain within 0.1dB
I can detect differences of 0.25dB, so it will have to be below this threshold.

The Crane Song Avocet is great for this because it has 3 digital inputs, 3 analog inputs, 3 analog outputs and you can match signals between any I/O within 0.1dB

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Gary, Is that a redbook cd or is it the actual 24/352.8k native resolution DXD disc (i.e playable only on DXD players like early PS3, Sony 5400 etc)?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Personally, i tend to use the same albums i have used since the '90s plus a couple later ones...because i have heard them on so many systems over the years. Clapton Unplugged, Jurassic Park Soundtrack, Dennis Ferrer (deep house), Snoop/Dre (rap), Celtic Harp, Amos Lee (Debut Album on Blue Note), Beethoven's 9th Harnancount or Karajan, Angela Hewitt Beethoven Piano Concertos, David Brubeck Time Out. I bring these and usually by roughly 5 CDs i have a rough idea of what the unit is doing in terms of: clarity, midrange/voice, deep bass, speed of bass/rhythm and decay. I also have listened to these so many times, i know when something "special" is going on where i feel the music comes alive again even more than what my system at home does. Fortunately, it happens less often away from home these days! ;)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I have the same Disc. It is downsampled to Redbook

A great album BTW

I also own both the DXD and redbook versions. The DXD version is cleaner. At first listen, you might feel it's a little "bright", but I believe that this version is only letting more of the HF energy in the recording through. I love listening to the players running around to their instruments during the Pachelbel.

Lee

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
Tim-I need to clairify my remark. When I said you need to know what the cymbal sounds like when it is softly struck and decays into blackness, I was referring to knowing what it sounds like on a recording that you are very familiar with so you can use that recording as a reference.

How does this work if you have never heard the recording on a Jitter free system?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I also own both the DXD and redbook versions. The DXD version is cleaner. At first listen, you might feel it's a little "bright", but I believe that this version is only letting more of the HF energy in the recording through. I love listening to the players running around to their instruments during the Pachelbel.

Lee

Yes, the DXD version is definitely better. Bruce mastered this one for Winston.

Trust me on this one - if there are any FIM CDs that you like, and you can find it in stock, buy it NOW.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Originally Posted by RBFC
I also own both the DXD and redbook versions. The DXD version is cleaner.

Now I'm confused I was under the impression that DXD was a redbook compatible format

I agree Gary. Between Winston's wonderful release of older albums and having Bruce remaster them, I have all of the FIM albums and they all occupy top row of my music collection.

I have the K2HD version of the Peterson disc, sounds very good to me...while I don't have all, about 8 disc. Without ? worth getting FIM releases. Big
from me!!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Now I'm confused I was under the impression that DXD was a redbook compatible format

I have the K2HD version of the Peterson disc, sounds very good to me...while I don't have all, about 8 disc. Without ? worth getting FIM releases. Big
from me!!

I'd love to know how you got a DXD file. As far as I know, Winston and I are the only ones with that.

Yes, it's just been mastered in DXD and produced in Redbook.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I'd love to know how you got a DXD file. As far as I know, Winston and I are the only ones with that.

Yes, it's just been mastered in DXD and produced in Redbook.

Were did I say I had a DXD, I clearly stated that my disc is K2HD
My mention of DXD was only whether it was compatible with redbook.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Were did I say I had a DXD, I clearly stated that my disc is K2HD
My mention of DXD was only whether it was compatible with redbook.

My question was directed at Lee. He said he had the DXD files and I was wondering where he got them. Sorry...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing