What is your take on AC outlets

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Am using the Fututech GTX Rhodium plated outlets, has any compared them the Gold and Copper versions ?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
For those of you living outside the US - Furutech is one of the few companies that make UK versions of the wall outlet. I know that many audiophiles use US cords in other countries, but this may be dangerous. With the US plugs, the ground pin is normally down, and the live pin is on the right in this orientation. Using UK outlets, the ground pin is on top, and the live pin is also on the right. If you use an adapter and a US cord, the live and neutral pins are reversed. With some products, this could mean that the power switch is on the neutral leg, and the fuse is also on the neutral leg. Turning the switch off and poking a finger in could result in a dangerous shock.

http://www.furutech.com/products/power-inlets-receptacles/uk-wall-outlets/

Enoch Root

Oct 8, 2014
Tiverton, RI
Up late last night contemplating the inevitable Old Spice and ugly neckties coming my way this holiday season, I came upon this thread and many like it, strewn hither and yon through cyberspace like wanton temptresses beckoning for my attention.

I'm easy; my expensive ac cords and dedicated line have long since convinced me of the benefits of quality power. I'm not sure at what point I became suspicious that my lowly Hubble may be inadequate but I slowly came to see that, in the grand scheme of things, the cost of a Furutech GTX-D (g) was modest compared to the potentially beneficial effects it held for my entire system.

So, after a large swig of Koolaid, I placed the order. Wish me luck.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Up late last night contemplating the inevitable Old Spice and ugly neckties coming my way this holiday season, I came upon this thread and many like it, strewn hither and yon through cyberspace like wanton temptresses beckoning for my attention.

I'm easy; my expensive ac cords and dedicated line have long since convinced me of the benefits of quality power. I'm not sure at what point I became suspicious that my lowly Hubble may be inadequate but I slowly came to see that, in the grand scheme of things, the cost of a Furutech GTX-D (g) was modest compared to the potentially beneficial effects it held for my entire system.

So, after a large swig of Koolaid, I placed the order. Wish me luck.

For you sir, when only the best will do.:)

FurutechGTXDuo345.00.jpg

Furutech_GTX_Harmony_.jpg

Furutech_Trio.jpg

Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Hospital grade or heavy duty receptacles are better than $.99 std units, but the Furutech GTX are far better and make an easily audible difference imo. For AC power the connectors are critically important.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It's all cumulative. Just sticking some AC outlet in the wall with no forthought, the only advantage you'll have is maybe those audiophile powercables won't fall out. If you did what I did:

1. Have a custom made cable run from the street to an Equi=tech wall cabinet with separate runs for L/R channels and keeping analog and digital equipment off the same line.
2. Separate grounding rods into the earth and all cables behind the wall no closer than 1' running parallel
3. 10/3 audiophile UL approved in-wall cable
4. Connecting the in-wall cable to the outlet by crimping/soldering with gold spades
5. Making sure you pay attention to details

And if you need to improve all the way to the street to get a noticeable improvement from an upgraded outlet, wouldn't it logically follow that you need to keep going? At what point do audiophile-quality components in your power source get better performance? The outlet? The circuit? The house? The hydroelectric damn 100 miles away?

Tim

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
And if you need to improve all the way to the street to get a noticeable improvement from an upgraded outlet, wouldn't it logically follow that you need to keep going? At what point do audiophile-quality components in your power source get better performance? The outlet? The circuit? The house? The hydroelectric damn 100 miles away?

Tim
You will never get your utility company to make changes to their infrastructure for the benefit of the audiophile. Thus, the best you can do is make everything 1st class from your meter panel on. Odd coincidence: my power is out today due to a storm, but I am enjoying great sound from my system because I have a 9Kw standby diesel generator, and optimized power delivery to my system, from my meter panel. I installed the generator years ago because I live in the boonies where we have frequent outages, and are the last to be restored.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You will never get your utility company to make changes to their infrastructure for the benefit of the audiophile. Thus, the best you can do is make everything 1st class from your meter panel on. Odd coincidence: my power is out today due to a storm, but I am enjoying great sound from my system because I have a 9Kw standby diesel generator, and optimized power delivery to my system, from my meter panel. I installed the generator years ago because I live in the boonies where we have frequent outages, and are the last to be restored.

Of course not. That's the point.

Tim

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Of course not. That's the point. At what point do audiophile-quality components in your power source get better performance? The outlet? The circuit? The house? The hydroelectric damn 100 miles away?Tim

And my point is, maximize the quality of everything you can, back to the panel. It matters.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Mains power systems are still in a "magic zone". First there is no established scientific correlation between mains products and stereo sound quality. We just know of a few things that should be avoided because they can cause introduce noise and interference, unfortunately our equipment also generates electrical noise - the job of the mains cabling is not just supplying energy. Second, systems and even preferences are too variable to are allow some systematization of power systems. The only think I am sure is that most power systems and cables have a characteristic sound signature and it seems that the AC outlets are part of it. And third, some systems seem much more sensitive to mains power accessories than others.

So it is natural to have very different opinions - each of us tells about his own experience. All IMHO and YMMV.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
And my point is, maximize the quality of everything you can, back to the panel. It matters.

It only matters to the extent that it prevents additional noise from getting into the circuit once it enters your house, which is pretty simple and inexpensive to achieve. It does nothing to change the quality of power coming into the house...unless we're talking about filtering...it only moves that power, whatever quality it might be, to your components with greater efficiency. Enjoy.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Mains power systems are still in a "magic zone". First there is no established scientific correlation between mains products and stereo sound quality. We just know of a few things that should be avoided because they can cause introduce noise and interference, unfortunately our equipment also generates electrical noise - the job of the mains cabling is not just supplying energy. Second, systems and even preferences are too variable to are allow some systematization of power systems. The only think I am sure is that most power systems and cables have a characteristic sound signature and it seems that the AC outlets are part of it. And third, some systems seem much more sensitive to mains power accessories than others.

So it is natural to have very different opinions - each of us tells about his own experience. All IMHO and YMMV.

Yes. They are.

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It only matters to the extent that it prevents additional noise from getting into the circuit once it enters your house, which is pretty simple and inexpensive to achieve. It does nothing to change the quality of power coming into the house...unless we're talking about filtering...it only moves that power, whatever quality it might be, to your components with greater efficiency. Enjoy.

Tim

Unfortunately it is not pretty simple, as you pretend. Besides noise is also an electromagnetic wave and will not ask your permission to enter your house - the wiring system acts like a giant antenna. And I would love if people could define the "quality" of the power in technical terms.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Furutech on sale at the Cable Company....

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Unfortunately it is not pretty simple, as you pretend. Besides noise is also an electromagnetic wave and will not ask your permission to enter your house - the wiring system acts like a giant antenna. And I would love if people could define the "quality" of the power in technical terms.

Yeah people would be surprised how much house mains circuits act as antenna's, especially with greater wireless transmissions in this day and age.
The BBC did a research study into this and did find the house mains act as both an antenna and surprisingly a transmitter (bit more complex than this but the crux).

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing