What is this Wacky-Looking Room Tuning Device?

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
It's pretty poor on the sides but it is excellent in the centre part of the stalls. Also it has steps, so the seats go slightly above level of the stage which I prefer, compared to being below the stage like in the lower section of Birmingham or concertgebouw.

Non box is fine, Sheldonian is the by far the best for acoustics. I haven't been to Berlin or Vienna though I have been to the Unter den Linden opera house in Berlin
I always thought it would be neat to do a theater tour in Europe.. always get to a few when we travel but having that as a focus would be fun .. might be a while though...
Phil

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I saw this photo of a Japanese audiophile's system on Mono and Stereo.

Look on the sides at this collection of broomsticks of varying lengths mounted vertically on a wood base.

Does anyone know what this product is? How does it supposedly work?

View attachment 68079

View attachment 68081

Its a diffusor , used to break up reflections and redirect high frequency energy for clearer highs with better details ...

Really good if early reflections are a problem due to seating position ...!

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Its a diffusor , used to break up reflections and redirect high frequency energy for clearer highs with better details ...

Really good if early reflections are a problem due to seating position ...!
It would only deal with high frequency given the small diameter ... a mix of diameters would work better ... I like the varied height .. theoretically it would scatter some reflections upwards and out of the listening plane
Phil

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Probably it is from Acoustic Grove System, "AGS"

Those are what @ddk posted, I find the principle very, very interesting. Glad to know from him that it works :)
It certainly makes lots of sense, nothing sounds more natural than being in a forest.
Also, check out the graphs on their website, they also work for the low frequencies.

The question is how many of them do you need to get optimum results, I entertain the idea of having a "zen-like" living room, to integrate some of those products naturally, without the room looking like a torture chamber. A combination of those in the first reflection points + 2x PSI AAVA C20 could be quite something. The idea of achieving a flat bass response without compromising the liveliness of the room is quite attractive IMO.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Probably it is from Acoustic Grove System, "AGS"

Those are what @ddk posted, I find the principle very, very interesting. Glad to know from him that it works :)
It certainly makes lots of sense, nothing sounds more natural than being in a forest.
Also, check out the graphs on their website, they also work for the low frequencies.

The question is how many of them do you need to get optimum results, I entertain the idea of having a "zen-like" living room, to integrate some of those products naturally, without the room looking like a torture chamber. A combination of those in the first reflection points + 2x PSI AAVA C20 could be quite something. The idea of achieving a flat bass response without compromising the liveliness of the room is quite attractive IMO.
I guess the simple answer to your question is, depends on the room and budget.

As you can see in the pictures the listening room I was in was heavily treated on all surfaces and quite large. What you don’t see are the absorption panels on all surfaces behind the grove. You can’t get away from the torture chamber aesthetic if that’s your goal they’re just as industrial in look and feel as any of their counterparts. Sonically they have a lot of potential but really need them to handle the installation.

david

Reactions: marmota

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
In Rons picture you can see the sticks are right in line with possible deep bass absorbing panels behind them.

Also, others seem to have touched on this. A xylophone is tuned pieces of wood. Those dowl length could very well correspond to keys. They may boost or draw down certain notes. They may also act more like Synergistic bells and vibrate making a behind you reverb affect.

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
I guess the simple answer to your question is, depends on the room and budget.

As you can see in the pictures the listening room I was in was heavily treated on all surfaces and quite large. What you don’t see are the absorption panels on all surfaces behind the grove. You can’t get away from the torture chamber aesthetic if that’s your goal they’re just as industrial in look and feel as any of their counterparts. Sonically they have a lot of potential but really need them to handle the installation.

david

Makes lots of sense. I'm sure that an equilibrium between good sound and cozy living room can be found without going full vietnam jail, of course not as good as the "life sentence treatment" but better than nothing. Certainly this is something that I'll be investigating for my home in the next months, quite interesting stuff.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Ah, the Shakti Hallographs. Had some at RMAF shows in our rooms back in the day to help the acoustics. Yes, you could hear them in the room, they changed the presentation depending on where they sat. Was it better? To my ears it was just different. A really nice potted plant does the same thing and is nicer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing