What is the best 5U4G ?

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
My KR RK now has around 30 hours on it. I powered the unit down at 25 hours, for a few hours. Then powered it back up for 25-30 and listened. All the nastiness that I previously reported is gone. I feel that the tube still needs more time but now the phonostage sounds as you would expect, very good. The KR RK is still very different than the Tung Sol. I can tell now that the Tung-Sol's bass is exaggerated and sloppy compared the the RK. The RK has the upper hand in every department. I still have the RCA coming but in no rush to compare. I have a feeling at hour 50 the KR RK will reign supreme. I happened to come across dcc's system thread on audio nirvana and he mentioned he prefers the Tele e810f. Ill have to source a set of those as I'm interested in how good this phono can be. Right now, I am extremely happy with it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think his e810f was before his discovery of the KR, and then he moved to the RK

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
My KR RK now has around 30 hours on it. I powered the unit down at 25 hours, for a few hours. Then powered it back up for 25-30 and listened. All the nastiness that I previously reported is gone. I feel that the tube still needs more time but now the phonostage sounds as you would expect, very good. The KR RK is still very different than the Tung Sol. I can tell now that the Tung-Sol's bass is exaggerated and sloppy compared the the RK. The RK has the upper hand in every department. I still have the RCA coming but in no rush to compare. I have a feeling at hour 50 the KR RK will reign supreme. I happened to come across dcc's system thread on audio nirvana and he mentioned he prefers the Tele e810f. Ill have to source a set of those as I'm interested in how good this phono can be. Right now, I am extremely happy with it.

And If you want to further improve the Allnic H3000, I suggest to bypass the internal SUT with an external one from Consolidated Audio. I am getting one custom made after I had the chance to test several units that Ana Mighty Sound brought me for a home audition.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
And If you want to further improve the Allnic H3000, I suggest to bypass the internal SUT with an external one from Consolidated Audio. I am getting one custom made after I had the chance to test several units that Ana Mighty Sound brought me for a home audition.
Thanks for the input!

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I have only used it in the separate (PS 9.0) power supply for my Modwright -Sony 5400es SCD player, but the new Sophia Electric blue 274B, which is a drop-in replacement for a 5U4G (and subsitutes) is the best rectifier I have ever heard in the PS 9.0 - better than EML, Phillips 5R4GYS, 1940's RCA and Tung Sol, CEC, Mullard GZ32 5V4, etc. (you name it).
Since this post I acquired a1950's NOS GEC U52 5U4G and found it to be slightly superior to the Sophia blue 274B. It is the best rectifier tube I have ever heard.

Cristian

Dec 26, 2019
Has someone the tried the Elrog ER5U4G rectifier? The most expensive of them all but since the KR RK is almost impossible to find…

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I like the Brimar brown base

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
I've settled on Svetlana Winged C 5?3C from the St Petersburg era, identified by the black plates. One issue with them is that they tend to spark on switching on after around six months, and while they still work OK after that little light show, I replace them out of caution. There is a month and year of manufacture on the tube; my last set were from 1961 and have just been replaced with 1963 versions. The grey plate modern copies made by New Sensor or JSC just don't sound as good, no better than EH 5U4Gs. There is an eBay seller in Ukraine (g_titov), but having bought another couple from him for when the 1963 tubes go, he only has three left. There are other sellers on eBay, but they charge more.

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
My current black plate 5?3Cs both started sparking, so I decided to try the Sophia Electric 5U4G as I have been so pleased with the KT88s I got from them. I've had them in for four days now and I think they sound at least as good as the Winged Cs did. Maybe a bit more lively bass. Who knows, they may save me money if they last as long as the other Sophia tubes have!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I use either Marconi (Italy) from 1950s or Sylvania 5u4gb from 1960s. I also have Winged Cs but they aren’t as good.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Wash, rinse repeat...FWIW

Post #53

post #879

YMMV and all that stuff, of course.

Solotov

Jan 17, 2024
-
Is RK 5u4g still being produced? I'm late to the party and can't find any source to buy.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
https://verdantaudio.com/collections/kr-audio-vacuum-tubes. It doesn't look like they are producing 5U4G's anymore, let alone the RK (Richard Kron) models, but you can ask. Speaking from experience, one thing to know about the 5U4G RK is that it's very good in a lot of ways but tonally it's very "neutral," no sense of warmth at all, in case you prefer the latter.

Last edited:

Solotov

Jan 17, 2024
-
https://verdantaudio.com/collections/kr-audio-vacuum-tubes. It doesn't look like they are producing 5U4G's anymore, let alone the RK (Richard Kron) models, but you can ask. Speaking from experience, one thing to know about the 5U4G RK is that it's very good in a lot of ways but tonally it's very "neutral," no sense of warmth at all, in case you prefer the latter.
Thank you for the information. I actually prefer warm to neutral. Should I get Takatsuki 274B instead? I’m using KR PX25.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thank you for the information. I actually prefer warm to neutral. Should I get Takatsuki 274B instead? I’m using KR PX25.

I have a Lampi Golden Gate 2/3 and didn't find that the Tak solved it for me with current WE 300B tubes. I got a Sophia Electric 274B instead and that is a very decent recti to get going. Since then I've been playing with much older and way more $$ tubes. You might take a look at the Lampi Horizon, Lampi Valve Rolling and Lampi TRP threads for ideas. There has been lots of discussion there about tubes, including rectis.

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
I have a Lampi Golden Gate 2/3 and didn't find that the Tak solved it for me with current WE 300B tubes. I got a Sophia Electric 274B instead and that is a very decent recti to get going. Since then I've been playing with much older and way more $$ tubes. You might take a look at the Lampi Horizon, Lampi Valve Rolling and Lampi TRP threads for ideas. There has been lots of discussion there about tubes, including rectis.
Just another vote of confidence for the Sophia Electric 274B. I use one in the power supply for my Modwright PH 9.0XT phono stage, and I was shocked at how much of a positive difference it made, particularly in un-muddying the upper-mids (compared to the stock Russian 5AR4). Very nice indeed.

Solotov

Jan 17, 2024
-
Thanks for the recommendations. You guys mean Sophia Electric 274B Aqua II version or normal version?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks for the recommendations. You guys mean Sophia Electric 274B Aqua II version or normal version?

I mainly used the the first version. In the process of looking at other rectis, I did get offered an audition of the II, and it was an improvement over the I, but I decided to stick with something else at the time.

Reactions: Solotov

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing