What is 5G?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Bob.

In the amateur radio world we are told that those are pretty dangerous frequencies (both the 4G and the 5G frequencies) from a cancer-causing radiation point of view. Of course in that world we are allowed by the Federal Communications Commission to transmit 1.5 kW at those frequencies! (Cell phones transmit, I think, with 600 mW.)

Anyway I almost never hold the cell phone up to my ear. I find that both transmit and receive audio quality is better when I use the speaker.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I started this thread to learn more on this life-changing technology.
I've read many articles and went all directions; pros and cons.
The health issue is one of them, privacy/security, ultra fast speed another, enormous financial economic rewards, environment, atmosphere, medical, knowledge, social, cultural, entertainment, geographical, etc., etc., etc. ... it's another much higher dimension, truly a life-changing world.
And we are right in the middle of it.

China wants to be the leader in 5G, and they are on track to be; some already say they are.
? http://fortune.com/2018/10/19/data-sheet-china-5g/

And it's no accident.
? https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallm...most-stem-graduates-infographic/#760f99fa268a

5G is to advanced telecommunication what oil is to the transportation industry.
And in 2019 we are starting to realize the price of the later. I think the former will eventually come up too.

So yes I'm very interested in all future 5G side-effects for the humanity and all living things on the planet. But it's not only holding a cell phone close to the human body; head, heart, it's also all other devices using 5G, all the radio transmission posts required every second house/building, the radio waves, the super high frequencies, ... I have posted some links mentioning those.
And the more we explore (google) the more we find out something for everyone...good and/or bad. The race for global telecommunication with 5G technology is on; or should I say the fight for control in the global telecom sector is on. I think it's big, very.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello Bob,

How is a slightly faster cell phone download speed a “life-changing technology”?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ron, I avoid using the phone on my head with wired earbuds. I also don’t carry my phone in pants pocket because it increases e.coli by proximity, and reduces quality in sperm. I would gladly trade off my smart phone if 4G and 5G would go away.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Yikes. Technological side effects.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hello Bob,

How is a slightly faster cell phone download speed a “life-changing technology”?

Good morning Ron,

Here's only one scenario example (from a quote - Fortune mag):

"Imagine you’re sitting at a red traffic light. The light turns green, allowing you to proceed. As you take your foot off the brake, however, your car senses that a vehicle approaching the intersection is moving too fast and will likely run the red light. In response, your car applies the brakes to keep you safe as the scofflaw blasts through the intersection.

Your car didn’t see the other vehicle using motion sensors or cameras, which is how today’s crash-avoidance systems work. Instead, your car was talking to the other car wirelessly via 5G. It knew the direction of travel, the speed, and whether or not the driver was braking. Your car saved your life thanks to the power of 5G.

But 5G isn’t all about speed.

... Today, latency is about 9 milliseconds (ms). With 5G, that will drop to 1ms. Latency is particularly critical in automotive applications. Think about the distance a car travels at 60mph in 9 ms compared to in 1 ms. That distance can be the difference between life and death. Latency is also key to providing good experiences when exploring new worlds in virtual reality, or stomping through the latest online multiplayer video game."

_____

"Globally, most people see maximum 4G speeds of about 16.9 megabits per second (Mbps), according to Open Signal. 5G promises to deliver Gigabit speeds (>1Gbps). Where 4G allows you to stream your favorite YouTube videos in full HD, 5G will make it possible to stream 4K HDR content—and more."
_____

To me it is not "slightly faster" speed for "download" and other applications, it is life-changing faster, life-saving.

"And that’s important because there will be many more devices demanding data. Think sensors and cars, not just phones."

...In hospitals, police cars, emergency vehicles, oil pipelines, oil transportation by sea (preventing spills, ruptures, collisions, ...), in homes of people requiring monitoring of their heart, in prisons, in cities where crimes and drugs are polluting our youths, in schools protecting our children, in cinemas, ... imagine.

? http://fortune.com/2018/10/08/what-is-5g/

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
So your life changing scenerio is based on intrusive surveillance? And one that could go wrong because you have no control over your car?

5G is so short range that you’ll need a pole in the middle of the intersection.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I cannot help but wonder when people will say no to some type of new tech.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

What's Coming Up (And Not) in 2019

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I just used the "Search" function (What is 5G?) and it found no results...that's the message it said.
Bizarre, ...anyway. I checked manually where it makes sense to look, and it was right here;
Science And Technology Forum.
_____

Reactions: Folsom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing