What ethernet cables are members using?

Bogan88

Aug 11, 2020
I have both Sablon and Pachanko Ethernet. Both excellent value for what you get. In my system, Pachanko is a tad smoother and I have it connecting to my CH C1.

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
Greetings @Geert1962,

When available, would you be able to clarify and provide a little more information on the following two facets:

1. I believe you are suggesting you are employing the Shunyata Omega Ethernet cable, correct?

2. If #1 above is “yes”, can you provide a little more detail about the sonic uplift your received versus the your previous ethernet cable?

I have an Omega Ethernet cable on order, and I am interested to learn about others’ experiences.

Thank you kindly,
Re-tread

Geert1962

Apr 18, 2014
The Netherlands
Greetings @Geert1962,

When available, would you be able to clarify and provide a little more information on the following two facets:

1. I believe you are suggesting you are employing the Shunyata Omega Ethernet cable, correct?

2. If #1 above is “yes”, can you provide a little more detail about the sonic uplift your received versus the your previous ethernet cable?

I have an Omega Ethernet cable on order, and I am interested to learn about others’ experiences.

Thank you kindly,
Re-tread
Greetings Re-tread,

Thanks for your nice post. Yes I have a Shunyata Omega Ethernet cable. I use this cable between my Naim streamer and the Melco S100 switch. Before that I had a Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cable and a Audioquest Vodka. For me the Omega is the most realistic cable without coloring. The music I listen to sounds as I know from live concerts. You can listen for a long time and don't get tired.
It's expensive but worth every $.
Enjoy your music.
Best regards from Holland,
Geert

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
I use a daisy chain of switches.
sotm switch 1 -> sotm switch 2 -> phoenixnet->K50
I had previously used SOTM DCBL7 cable throughout but found that phoenixnet didn’t like the sotm cables connected to/from it. It robbed the sound of life. so used normal plain cat7 cables from sotm switch 2 to phoenixnet and then to k50. They sounded good.
I still used DCBL7 from router to sotm1 and between the two sotm switches .

I recently purchased the Furutech Lan-8 NCF Ethernet cables to connect from my sotm switch 2 to phoenixnet and then to K50
They rock. I highly recommend them.
And I am glad to see phoenixnet doesn’t dislike them like dcbl7

Reactions: audiobomber

TST

Jan 1, 2020
Hello,

I would like to share my (limited) experience with upgrading my ethernet cable.

For the last 2 1/2 years I used Audioquest Vodka and before that Cinnamon.
Two weeks ago I bought Audioquest Diamond.

I have two audio systems.

In the main system the difference in sound quality is not small. More of everything!
The most striking aspects are, 3d sounstage which is bigger and especially far more nuanced. More finesse. In complex music different instruments or voices are better and easier to follow separately while at the same time making the music as a whole more natural and realistic!
I was really holding back the potential of this system, I discovered.
The above is true for my main system.

I also tried it with my more modest system in which I use Qobuz on my laptop feeding Antelope Zodiac Platinum which converts the signal from digital USB to digital coax. followed by NAD M2 amplifier / dac. Here I can also here an improvement, but it's rather small and it's difficult to describe.

Yesterday, at the request of my father, we tried the Diamond in his system (which consists of Purepower 1050 power regenerator, NAD M50 streamer, NAD M51 dac, Onda Ligera IPA 006 integrated amp and Dali Grand speakers. The conclusion being that he needs one also.

Horns4life

Mar 27, 2022
Hello,

I would like to share my (limited) experience with upgrading my ethernet cable.

For the last 2 1/2 years I used Audioquest Vodka and before that Cinnamon.
Two weeks ago I bought Audioquest Diamond.

I have two audio systems.

In the main system the difference in sound quality is not small. More of everything!
The most striking aspects are, 3d sounstage which is bigger and especially far more nuanced. More finesse. In complex music different instruments or voices are better and easier to follow separately while at the same time making the music as a whole more natural and realistic!
I was really holding back the potential of this system, I discovered.
The above is true for my main system.

I also tried it with my more modest system in which I use Qobuz on my laptop feeding Antelope Zodiac Platinum which converts the signal from digital USB to digital coax. followed by NAD M2 amplifier / dac. Here I can also here an improvement, but it's rather small and it's difficult to describe.

Yesterday, at the request of my father, we tried the Diamond in his system (which consists of Purepower 1050 power regenerator, NAD M50 streamer, NAD M51 dac, Onda Ligera IPA 006 integrated amp and Dali Grand speakers. The conclusion being that he needs one also.
This is my first post on WBF. I’ve been a member for a little under a year and always just surfed the forums. I find myself in between gigs and have a bit more time right now so I figured I’d try to step up, participate and pay it forward wherever I can.

Ok, that out of the way, I use 4 Ethernet cables in my system. Wall outlet to Gigafilter. Gigafilter to Innuos Zenith MkIII. Zenith to Metrum Ambre. And finally Ambre to Metrum Pavane dac, I2S obviously. I was told by a dealer that the most important thing is to use a ferrite at the destination end of each connection, as it would remove high frequency noise. So I’m using basic cat 7 generic cables with a ferrite at the destination end, with the cable tightly wrapped through the ferrite. The only location where I have something different is from the Ambre to my dac, the Pavane - where I have an Audioquest Diamond 1m cable.

I can say that the generic cable with ferrite has outperformed multiple cables including Supra cat 8 as well as a variety of sotm iso-cat cables. The AQ Diamond seems better but that may be location specific, I haven’t tried it in other locations due to needing longer than the 1M length.

Overall, I have to admit I was very surprised at how easily audible the differences across cables are to hear. I guess it’s true…everything matters.

Reactions: Pokey77

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

These guys have some interesting comments on ethernet cables.

Reactions: Horns4life

Horns4life

Mar 27, 2022

These guys have some interesting comments on ethernet cables.
Thank you for sharing. I’ve been curious to try the Furutech LAN 8 NCF, so the ferrite risks you brought up give me that last little push I needed. The Furutech cables aren’t that expensive so if they’re not better, not a big loss.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I always advocate trying a tweak such as a magnet. Why not. Its all of $10. A lot less than a $700 cable than an objectivist would note measure no better than a Blue Jeans.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I use Cardas network from the spool with Telegarner plugs. Nothing fancy, but definitely an upgrade from standard cat6 cables. I've heard a lot of good about Wireworlds ethernet cables but haven't tried them yet.

Juju84

Jul 30, 2022
I made the investment of an ethernet cable made by hand by the company Pachanko Labs, this cable is really fabulous, it is silky soft, it reveals all the quality of the machines connected to it. Congratulations to CHAN for the quality of its products, we are close to perfection for my taste. the sound is analog. long live Pachanko Labs

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020

I use the SOtM dCBL-CAT7u with dCBL-CAT7 LAN cable special edition on my Innuos server, it is pretty impressive. I have several of the dCBL-CAT7 between my 3 switches and have one of the CAT6 cables.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Did anyone try both the FTA Metis and the Pink Faun interlink ?
l’m interested in either one to replace 2 Mad Scientist Black Magic.

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
I got a Pink Faun and also ordered both FTA metis and crystal connect Monet, let you know the comparison once i can test them, Pink Faun is a very good one which fall into the analog side and doesn't sound too analytical, i sold my Dalby meda and keep the pink Faun, acoustic revive quadrant and TWL freedom now, its quite interesting to mix and match the cables between modem router switches and streamer to give you different taste

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I got a Pink Faun and also ordered both FTA metis and crystal connect Monet, let you know the comparison once i can test them, Pink Faun is a very good one which fall into the analog side and doesn't sound too analytical, i sold my Dalby meda and keep the pink Faun, acoustic revive quadrant and TWL freedom now, its quite interesting to mix and match the cables between modem router switches and streamer to give you different taste
Wow, that is quite a variety of cables :eek:
Looking forward to your findings :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Bobofei86

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Thanks, keep me posted.
I would like to upgrade my Lan cable between my Roon Rock NUC and my Modem and also the one between my modem and my Switch.
From what i've read the Pink Faun Lan cable seems to be the most musical and engaging of the bunch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobofei86

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
I use the Pink Faun cables too - preferred them over Shunyata Omega

Reactions: Thieliste

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing