What ethernet cables are members using?

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
FTA are on my list now. Thanks !

I wish Sablon extend their demo return policy to Europe.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
FTA are on my list now. Thanks !

I wish Sablon extend their demo return policy to Europe.
When you come to place in April you can get one ;-)

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
Thank you Golum. Nice that you remember :)

Strange; for me it is not easy to replace the Transparent Ethernet. It gives really involving presentation.
Is this my personal preference ? Must be.
Is it system dependent ? For sure.
In my system all parts have adjusted resonance/vibration, as well as I have DIY grounding connected to all chasis and inner parts of digital devices. The presentation is smooth and clean. That might be the reason I like Transparent with its rich, deep signature.

Mayby FTA ?
or ...
today I got WW Platinum. We'll see.

Last edited:

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
May I ask compared to what ?

Did anyone the comparison between Sablon Panatela and TWL Freedom ?

They are similarly built.

Hi Trab,
I have used the Transparent ethernet cable for a few years and have read many times about dark sound. Too many variables to source dark sound to an ethernet cable IMO. That said, I just replaced the Transparent with the Sablon Panatela and prefer its more musical presentation. Working with Mark at Sablon was very easy, great customer service.

Dave

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'm getting a long run of Starlight ethernet cable from WireWorld tomorrow. I will break it in this weekend and share my initial thoughts as well. I am using similar run of BlueJeans Cat 6 now.

Reactions: KeithR

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Does anyone know if the Blue Jeans ethernet cable is UTP (unshielded twisted pair). If not, are there well-recognized brands of UTP ethernet cables out there?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Does anyone know if the Blue Jeans ethernet cable is UTP (unshielded twisted pair). If not, are there well-recognized brands of UTP ethernet cables out there?

Is unlikely to be unshielded given their cat 5/6 spec rating as the noise attenuation wouldn't be good enough without shielding. For the majority of cable applications, I am pretty unenthusiastic about shielding however ethernet benefits and I use quadruple shielding in my lan cable.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The WireWorld Starlight cable is in now and it sounds fantastic. A surprisingly large improvement over the BlueJeans cable.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'm hearing more detail, tighter, deeper bass, and substantial improvement in imaging. Totally smokes the BlueJeans Cat 6.

Not sure why so many are saying ethernet doesn't matter....this was a huge upgrade.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Not sure why so many are saying ethernet doesn't matter....this was a huge upgrade.

Because they don’t understand that an Ethernet cable carries an analog signal that represents the digital input to it. As with any cable, the analog signal is degraded, and when it is then reconstructed into a digital signal timing errors can be introduced as the bits are created. This isn’t any big deal with text, but can be a big deal with music.

Reactions: Lee and CKKeung

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Yesterday I tried a new Jcat top of the line - Signature.I used until now Jcat ref .
The cable does not transmit any data because W 20 is a server with 2 HDD as a storage and SSD for the playback and still ethernet cable makes a difference.
I guess for system with NAS the difference will be even more pronounced.
Together with the LAN cable I installed the conditioner for usb and LAN , only the usb part is connected to one of usb inputs.
All together the improvement is significant, the changes as discribed on jcat page ie better precision, resolution and soundstage but with natural and rich texture.

https://jcat.eu/product/signature-lan-cable/

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thanks for the feedback, Lee. This apparently seems to be somewhat system dependent. I also wonder what the effect of Cat 6 vs Cat 8 is?

I have always used Wireworld digital cables (toslink and coax) as the former could be obtained with glass, not plastic. They seemed well built and certainly weren't a big $ stretch. I wonder on the ethernet side how they would perform as I already have isolated ethernet courtesy of my Innuos server.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Thanks for the feedback, Lee. This apparently seems to be somewhat system dependent. I also wonder what the effect of Cat 6 vs Cat 8 is?

I have always used Wireworld digital cables (toslink and coax) as the former could be obtained with glass, not plastic. They seemed well built and certainly weren't a big $ stretch. I wonder on the ethernet side how they would perform as I already have isolated ethernet courtesy of my Innuos server.

You might speak with Larry Smith at their home office. He has been a trustworthy person on cable theory and performance so far with me.

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
... The cable does not transmit any data ... and still ethernet cable makes a difference.
https://jcat.eu/product/signature-lan-cable/

This is crazy, absolutely.
But, I have no reason not to believe you Mariusz.

Trying to get rid of my Transparent Ethernet ;) I am testing different LAN cables at the moment. Luckily I need standard lenght - 1m. Since one week JCat Signature LAN is in my system, along with Wireworld Platinum.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
This is crazy, absolutely.
But, I have no reason not to believe you Mariusz.

Trying to get rid of my Transparent Ethernet ;) I am testing different LAN cables at the moment. Luckily I need standard lenght - 1m. Since one week JCat Signature LAN is in my system, along with Wireworld Platinum.
And the winner is ....?;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing