What does Nominal Impedance mean?

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019

What does Nominal Impedance mean?​

I’m trying to decide on some new speakers (Clarisys Minute). They are rated at 86-88 sensitivity and a nominal impedance of 3.5 flat. Although graphs show it about 6 ohms from 20hz-500hz and at 2Khz and above about 3 ohms.
My present speakers, Focal Sopra 2 are rated as 91 sensitivity and 8-ohm nominal impedance, but minimum is 3 ohms.
So, I am presently using Bob Carver 350 amps (rated as 350 Amps/channel 8 ohm and 400 watts /channel 4 ohm) which are tube mono blocks. and I like to crank it up at times!
Can someone explain about Nominal Impedance and if my amp(s) will have a problem driving the Clarisys Minute speakers?

ozzy

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Average impedance over the frequency spectrum.

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois

What does Nominal Impedance mean?​

I’m trying to decide on some new speakers (Clarisys Minute). They are rated at 86-88 sensitivity and a nominal impedance of 3.5 flat. Although graphs show it about 6 ohms from 20hz-500hz and at 2Khz and above about 3 ohms.
My present speakers, Focal Sopra 2 are rated as 91 sensitivity and 8-ohm nominal impedance, but minimum is 3 ohms.
So, I am presently using Bob Carver 350 amps (rated as 350 Amps/channel 8 ohm and 400 watts /channel 4 ohm) which are tube mono blocks. and I like to crank it up at times!
Can someone explain about Nominal Impedance and if my amp(s) will have a problem driving the Clarisys Minute speakers?

ozzy
FYI, The Clarisys web site says nominal impedance of the Minuets are 4.25 ohms.

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Average impedance over the frequency spectrum.
I've always wondered whether manufacturers actually calculate the average (eg best fit analysis) or they are just eyeballing and perhaps even tipping the spec towards their marketing aspiration. It's also important to understand where in the frequency range the amp is seeing the most challenging load, and not just reflect on the "nominal" number.

Last edited:

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Suncost Audio says they are 3.5 ohm flat, and they did a measurement on them.

ozzy

Reactions: Alrainbow

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Jim Clark from Carver just replied to my email saying that the Carver amps would have no problem driving the speaker based on the specs in this posting. But I wish he had provided more detail.

Here is his reply,
"The nominal impedance is an average of the impedance curve. Many speakers vary between 2 and 20 ohms at various frequencies. Your 350's should have no problem driving them. Enjoy! Thanks, Jim"

ozzy

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I've always wondered whether manufacturers actually calculate the average (eg best fit analysis) or they are just eyeballing and perhaps even tipping the spec towards their marketing aspiration. It's also important to understand where in the frequency range the amp is seeing the most challenging load, and not just reflect on the "nominal" number.
It could be that they throw out the two extremes.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Imp curves matter more but a relatively flat imp as sun coast says is very good for amp picking. Senn rating of 86 to 88 is a good number , is there any rating for efficiency given.
the panels for most users are not setup to be direct at us so efficiency rating is a better indicator of amp size.
3.5 imp is good things get tougher below 2ohms. what suncoast says I trust he sells entire packages so must know.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny

You should look at phase as well. The combination of phase angle and impedance is what determines the actual load the amp see's

Rob :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing