What are the best speakers you've ever heard ?

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
I have two most favorite speakers and both were at the 2018 CAF.

1. The first set was in the Deja Vu Audio room—-GIP 18” field coil (replica of the Jensen M18) in open baffle, WE 713B in a 32A horn, and GIP 597a field coil tweeter (replica of WE 597a).

2. The second was in Dave Slagle’s EMIA room. He had a pair of stacked Quad 57s on each channel biamped with his PP 300B amps.

Reactions: rob

Brent71

Dec 14, 2016
I have 5 sets of SCV's along with all the others except the VI's. Love them all inc the HRCC-1 centers
5 pairs!? I have 2 pairs of SC-V, a pair of SC-IV, a pair of SC-III and a SC-II.C.C. center. The only ones being used are 1 pair of SC-Vs.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Von Schweikert VR-111 XS

This is the one off commission mentioned by RH in TAS some years ago. The XS is a 4 tower system with outboard crossovers. This was the speaker that birthed the Ultra line. The main and sub towers are 8 feet tall and they are set up in a 100+ sqm room with 4m ceilings with silenced positive pressure HVAC and electricals used for industries such as Security Printing. They are driven by 4 VAC Statement Monoblocks so that is four more "little" towers. LOL Statement Pre, Statement Phono and EMT JP-66 phono. Sources are TechDAS AF1 and AF1P with arms from Durand, Da Vinci and many more on custom arm boards. Tape by Studer and ATR through Doshi and Stellavox tape pres accordingly. Digital by Lampi.

Closest to a live concert ever in my experience. Killer is, the LP and Tape collection are just as eye watering.

Reactions: Lagonda

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
Not sure how to separate the speakers from the electronics but the Gryphon Trident II Loudspeakers + Commander Pre + Apex Stereo amp sounded effortlessly great at the 2023 PAF.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing