Well, DUH...yes, amps make a difference!

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
I'm not a youngster. My first serious hifi gear, back in the early 1980s, included a pair of Martin Logan CLS speakers, an Aragon 4004 amp, a Sonographe pre, and an Ariston turntable with a cartridge I don't remember (I think it was a Shure).
I fell in love with the speakers first, then bought the Aragon because the conventional wisdom was that the Martin Logans needed a Krell's power and control and I couldn't afford one (or two). But I never really paid much attention to the amp...it was just "there," something behind the scenes that enabled my gorgeous electrostatics to sing.
Since then I've owned just three or four different amps, some integrated, some separates. But I've always regarded them as junior members of my hifi chain with not much to add to the conversation.
Man, what an idiot!
I've owned a Modwright KWH 225i for exactly three days and it's changed everything. It replaced a Stereophile "highly recommended" digital integrated, and I'm frankly gobsmacked (I don't think I've ever used that word before, but it's perfect).
I have a massively larger soundstage, a bottom end that simply didn't exist before, and a hard-to-describe sense of everything-in-the-playback-chain-being-perfectly-in-balance-and-under-control. If you've ever driven a really well-engineered GT car that feels absolutely planted yet has endless grunt, you know what I mean.
I'm smiling a lot more now, and I while I'm late to the party, I think I'll stay awhile.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations on that wonderful sonic upgrade!

Yes, indeed, it is important to stay humble in this hobby. Because this hobby comes in "kit form"* it is very easy not to understand or to appreciate that "we don't know what we don't know."

I am glad you found an amp you love!

* Karen Sumner

Republicoftexas69

You made a fine choice and congratulations.

Reactions: modwright

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I went on a mission in the early 90's and found all amps sounded the same, I was shopping within the affordable brands and wanted to be a believer. As the economy improved so did my budget and when I was able to compare brands with less budget constraints I really noticed a difference. Now when shopping speakers I listen to as many different amps as possible to get a true understanding of a speakers tendencies.

Reactions: Atmasphere

modwright

Industry Expert
Nov 2, 2017
WA ST
www.modwright.com
I'm not a youngster. My first serious hifi gear, back in the early 1980s, included a pair of Martin Logan CLS speakers, an Aragon 4004 amp, a Sonographe pre, and an Ariston turntable with a cartridge I don't remember (I think it was a Shure).
I fell in love with the speakers first, then bought the Aragon because the conventional wisdom was that the Martin Logans needed a Krell's power and control and I couldn't afford one (or two). But I never really paid much attention to the amp...it was just "there," something behind the scenes that enabled my gorgeous electrostatics to sing.
Since then I've owned just three or four different amps, some integrated, some separates. But I've always regarded them as junior members of my hifi chain with not much to add to the conversation.
Man, what an idiot!
I've owned a Modwright KWH 225i for exactly three days and it's changed everything. It replaced a Stereophile "highly recommended" digital integrated, and I'm frankly gobsmacked (I don't think I've ever used that word before, but it's perfect).
I have a massively larger soundstage, a bottom end that simply didn't exist before, and a hard-to-describe sense of everything-in-the-playback-chain-being-perfectly-in-balance-and-under-control. If you've ever driven a really well-engineered GT car that feels absolutely planted yet has endless grunt, you know what I mean.
I'm smiling a lot more now, and I while I'm late to the party, I think I'll stay awhile.
I am so pleased to hear that you are enjoying the KWH 225i!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing