We Did It

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve,

Congratulations, I like the new looks, but I am disappointed that google advance search does not work anymore in WBF, and that my collection of bookmarks does not work any more - they return " Database error The database has encountered a problem!".

IMHO WBF is the one of the best repository of high-end information and debates in the net - if its past is not searchable and accessible it looses most of its value!

My Advance search worked yesterday without a problem'

FWIW we are presently using the Search feature included with Xenforo. We also purchased an add on supercharged search feature that we have installed but apparently it is so powerful that our server host has to first install some software at his end.

Give us a chance. We know about all of these things

Permissions for uaergroups were updated last night and we continue to iron out these little bugs that you are allreporting

I ask everyone to please be patient with us as we work through all of the things you have been mentioning here.

This was truly a most exhausting task as it literally took up 8 weeks of our lives

Ron is being modest as he was also involved for every step along the way and provided valuable input to us

There are still many things to do including a minor upgrade from Xenforo 2.0.9 to 2.0.10 and to finish maximizing our SEO now that we have a the tools to make for improved rankings

All in all the rewards at the end of the tunnel will all be worth it

Some have suggested that when the site is clicked on , the user lands on the forum rather than the home page. For now and quite likely forever we are going to land on the home page as we see that as as an opportunity to bring forward from the depths of the forum to the home page many threads, systems and general points of interest to the membership and guests who otherwise might never find or know bout these threads and systems.

It is our intent to change the home page every month to bring new information. We are encouraging members to do a system review with photos and post tin the member's gallery and good chance your system will be highlighted on the home page.

Also we will continue to provide monthly newsletters with information on the status of the upgrade as well ass to disseminate any further site information

So once again we appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions

Our biggest desire right now is to bring to reality a suggestion offered to us by PeterA which we think is terrific. Specifically we are going to create a major repository of a gallery of all of the photos of a member's system. It will be similar to threads started by Northstar where a picture is posted with no words or comments from the poster or the reader. Peter suggested this as some of the members' system blogs are huge (i'm the main culprit) and it can take many pages of reading to find pictures and updates of pictures. So to have a major area of the forum devoted only to member's pictures is being worked on now, hence another reason for members to create a thread with photos on their systems for reading as well as to later deposit their systems photos in this idea on which we are working

We welcome any and all suggestions

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks Steve. IMHO google is the de facto search engine. If all the links returned by searches in google return "database error" WBF will suffer. I am sure that your technical people will the problem, just wanted to point it.

BTW, just found a new bookmark to replace my old one for a quick entry in WBF:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/XENMASTER/whats-new/latest-activity

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
After 8 weeks of intense planning and unforeseen and unpredicted obstacles I am proud to say we got this done.

I am sure there will be questions but I suggest playing with the forum and get to know it

We now have a dedicated home page which will change every month

Report any questions or concerns to your admin team
..I can’t help but think back to what...2010, when you and I as former members of the Ultra High End forum?...and your asking my thoughts about the possibility of a new and improved audio forum. Frank, your partner on that defunct forum was contacting me as well. Now look at WBF...you’ve come a long way baby as they say ...congrats Steve you’ve done good

Reactions: Steve Williams

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Congratulations, Steve! I have to get used to the site, but it has a fresh feel to it.

One suggestion: On the phone (mobile) all the icons on top (home -- forums -- what's new...etc.) are missing. That makes mobile use a pain. The "latest posts" feature at the bottom is inconvenient, and the list too short. Desk computer use is much easier.

I agree with Folsom that the icons under "New Posts" are distracting.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
O.k., just discovered that on the phone all the the icons on top (home -- forums -- what's new...etc.) come up when you click the left menu button (three vertical stripes next to the WBF logo). Great!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks Al. This is a bona dude mobile app specific for Xenforo so it has all the features of the live site

Yes, that's great Steve. The old site was much less convenient. For best readability and writing of posts you had to use the mobile layout, but "new posts" were accessible only under "full site". Had me switching back and forth. This is so much better!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I see you refined it a little so it's easier to look at. I like it!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Thanks, Steve, for your terrific effort! :)

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Just tuned in to the "new" site--looks fine--will take little while maybe to acclimatise but congrats on a smooth transition and
kudos for the effort to keep this Forum one of the "Best"":D!

BruceD

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Steve, congratulations on a beautiful result to all your hard work. I really like the look so far. Love being able to 'like' a post - nice way of acknowledging somebody's comment without having to actually add a comment saying as much (which in some ways is just clutter).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing