Wayne Shorter died, age 89

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
We just lost one of the truly great ones.

Donald Fagen said that for his solos on 'Aja', he didn't want to hear the material beforehand, "I'll know when I'm supposed to play." One take....

Last edited:

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012

I always enjoyed his playing. Will be sadly missed.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

Donald Fagen said that for his solos on 'Aja', he didn't want to hear the material beforehand, "I'll know when I'm supposed to play." One take....

Rip, will be missed.
Steve Gadd and Wayne legendary performances on the mostly one take Aja!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
One of the jazz greats… he gave so much in his music, hope he is at rest in peace.

Reactions: hairyderriere

aLLeARS

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2020
It’s always sad to hear when someone of his stature passes. The cool thing about well-known artists, musicians and actors is that they leave behind a legacy of recordings. So in essence they never “really” die. Their body of work lives on forever. I’m listening to Odyssey of Iska right now.

Thank you Wayne!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
My favorite Blue Note Record

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Had a great session last night with Wayne (Miles, Weather Report, and his albums as a leader.) He was really a top notch player and changed jazz forever. In his own words, he'll be back soon with a new body....

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
My favorite Blue Note Record

very much on the list for some soulful Wayne Shorter listening tonight… and also…
3C230E94-6CBA-43E1-92B2-45CDE5148936.jpeg

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
This is terrible news. I will always remember Wayne's distinct saxophone, especially on the Night Dreamer. He cemented his legacy as one of the greatest to ever do it. What are your favorites in his catalog?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Weather Report is one of my favorite bands, I like Heavy Weather, Black Market, and Mysterious Traveler the best. For his albums as a leader, I recommend Adam's Apple, Super Nova, and Schizophrenia.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
If you don’t have this album, I highly recommend it. Recorded in 1965 but unreleased until 1980, Et Cetera is one of my favorites.

Absolutely fantastic album, agreed.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Weather Report is one of my favorite bands, I like Heavy Weather, Black Market, and Mysterious Traveler the best. For his albums as a leader, I recommend Adam's Apple, Super Nova, and Schizophrenia.
I haven't heard the Mysterious Traveler yet. I guess it's settled on what's up next on the headphones... :)

Reactions: jeff1225

dleed

Dec 12, 2021
I have been a Weather Report and Wayne Shorter fan since college. I saw them live at their peak in 1976. They encorporated world music and synthesizers into music. All top musicians. Jaco Pastorius, Joseph Zawinul, Wayne Shorter, Aerto Murieta. Very new at the time. Wayne Shorter was one of the most tuneful and emotive musicians. Mysterious Traveler, Black Market and Heavy Weather are must listens.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
The early Weather Report albums are like a musical journey. Listen to it twice!
Once, twice, three times... This piece of music can go on and on, like a soundtrack to life! Great work by Wayne, makes his passing all the more tragic. Thank you so much for your recommendation, I'd love to broaden my tastes, so any suggestions are more than welcome.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Wayne Shorter of the Miles Day progeny went on to demonstrate fusion did not have yo be bad during his tenure with Eeater Report..
Happy trails

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing