Wadax Reference Dac and Server arrive

nickif

May 17, 2013
Congrats Mike on the Wadax project which seems to be a lot of fun!!

Looks like “vinyl like” is a the best praise can be given to a digital front-end, which leads me to wonder, why not just listen to vinyl if “vinyl like” sound is what one is looking for?

I have heard the Wadax reference Dac/combo a few times, as good as they are, they sound nothing like vinyl. They might be at the peak of digital playback but definitely not “indistinguishable“ from the best vinyl playback. To me, vinyl and digital are completely different animals and almost can not be compared, they are both enjoyable though.

Last edited:

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Ultimately this is what were trying to recreate. However we make that happen and have it speak to us.
I have always wondered if this is what we are trying to create, how come musicians go into a studio and due multiple takes? Seems like we would do more listening to recordings of live events.

Reactions: lordcloud

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wadax already explored the custom server software path more than 7 years ago. In the meantime, a server software company called Roon appeared on the market with a distinctive approach. Instead of the ‘flat’ playback scheme of a file browser, Roon proposed a pivotal design around music and the associated ecosystem with a focus on the artistic side. Their periodic updates to add new features that enhance the musical experience together with a bit-perfect internal construction seduced Wadax to adopt Roon as the core for their servers.

Besides that, Roon will be enhanced with Wadax's custom extensions. Roon customization allowed to integrate further into Wadax server technology. The adaption of Roon as server software allows Wadax to focus on their core technologies.

Javier replied to me like that.

If you don't own Wadax, please do not judge them by Roon.
Hi Steve, may I know what is the rest of your system apart from the wadax? Your profile does not show

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
If you had the opportunity to sit for 5 hours in Mikes room and transition through the offerings as I had, you would understand exactly what I stated above.

If you did not have the Wadax, you would say, wow your digital sounds great. Especially if time were spent playing rock or other more processed music. We heard what the Wadax excelled at.

Insert the Wadax and play jazz you may hear in a small local night club and you will immediately get the leap in performance it brings to digital playback. It is a no doubt about it, immediate, apparent shift to a more alive, tangible and real to life experience.
Thanks for the impressions Rex, sounds like it's horses for races kind of situation. I myself listen quite a bit of processed music including rock, R&B and electronica, along with orchestral classical and jazz. Heft, gravitas and dynamic impact is a must in my system. That being said I have listened to some top flight analog rigs and completely understand the allure of that flavor. I wonder what conclusions one with somewhat different taste and objective in musical enjoyment might have come to.

both days we played vinyl that was 'next level' to my own ears. and i have a number of tapes that are untouchable. but the Wadax brings these type thoughts into the realm of reality for the first time. it's not crazy talk.

if i get my own files loaded at some point, i may be able to speak more to this.

Mike, for years you were very open and enthusiastic about your praise for the MSB and its vinyl like virtues. Clearly it's no easy feat to best it. Can you share a bit in your own words what the Wadax did more to your taste to make you decide on the change?

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
Hi Steve, may I know what is the rest of your system apart from the wadax? Your profile does not show
Hi Bonzo,

My system are: Power Conditioner: Echole Infinity Power Center - Grounding box: Telos 5.1 - Power cables: Echole infinity, Echole Limited Edition - Router/Switch: Waversa Wrouter - Ethernet cable: Sablon 2020 - Music Server/Dac: Wadax Reference - Pre/power: Absolare Infinity Altius - Interconnect + Speaker cables: Echole Infinity - Speakers: Micro Precision Z Studio Monitor - Rack: HRS + Townshend.

Last edited:

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
and in my Wadax combo listening today, things are sounding better, maybe quite a bit better. i'm trying to be a bit low key.....the music is not cooperating.

---Tripoint Elite now connected to the Wadax dac power supply and dart pre. it had been disconnected for the compares.
---Wadax server is now on top of a Dazia on a stable shelf.
---no switching stuff and everything is another day removed from shipping.
---just me in my 'very' sweet spot.

mostly redbook but no matter.
Mike, has the Wadax combo connected to the Akasa or USB?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Mike.

how analog do they really sound? after all you have 3 superb turntables to compare against.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Here is Akasa up close.

B584F7FE-AF09-42CB-A20D-FBD8C7748914.jpeg

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Wadax already explored the custom server software path more than 7 years ago. In the meantime, a server software company called Roon appeared on the market with a distinctive approach. Instead of the ‘flat’ playback scheme of a file browser, Roon proposed a pivotal design around music and the associated ecosystem with a focus on the artistic side. Their periodic updates to add new features that enhance the musical experience together with a bit-perfect internal construction seduced Wadax to adopt Roon as the core for their servers.

Besides that, Roon will be enhanced with Wadax's custom extensions. Roon customization allowed to integrate further into Wadax server technology. The adaption of Roon as server software allows Wadax to focus on their core technologies.

Javier replied to me like that.

If you don't own Wadax, please do not judge them by Roon.

If one is comparing music servers I think it is fair to assess the software path as well as the hardware path. Part of the software path is understanding who owns and controls the software.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Congrats Mike on the Wadax project which seems to be a lot of fun!!

Looks like “vinyl like” is a the best praise can be given to a digital front-end, which leads me to wonder, why not just listen to vinyl if “vinyl like” sound is what one is looking for?

I have heard the Wadax reference Dac/combo a few times, as good as they are, they sound nothing like vinyl. They might be at the peak of digital playback but definitely not “indistinguishable“ from the best vinyl playback. To me, vinyl and digital are completely different animals and almost can not be compared, they are both enjoyable though.
very fair question.

no; it's not indistinguishable from the best vinyl head to head. but casually listening to better files or streaming there is zero, and i mean zero, sense that it's not vinyl. and the implications of that are huge. this is the 'Holy Grail' for digital listening, when combined with the amazing ease of use and access of the file/streaming environment. i can just choose from millions of tracks and i'm immersed in a terrific musical experience no matter what my prior expectations might have been. Billie Eilish, Ben Webster, or Beethoven.

i have not personally spend an hour or two comparing my best vinyl with the files directly to get more granular with this direction. i have no thought to move away from my vinyl; the opposite. i have plans to consolidate and go further too with it. there are exciting happenings on the vinyl front that is pushing the performance too.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) i respectfully differ that the Wadax version was equivalent to the Lp.

We can't expect it. IMHO according to listener preference or even the system we will select a format as the preferred one. But I am curious to have your opinion on a hi-rez rip of a good mater tape.

here are the other references; all Quboz native digital recordings (you love this stuff i know);

Denver Jazz Quintet to Octet "Cyril Davies", "Coward of the County"
Damien Rice, 'O', "The Blower's Daughter"
Bozzio, Levin, Stevens, Black Light Syndrome, "Duende"
"Springsteen on Broadway", "Brilliant Disguise"

Thanks for the suggestions - but please do not forget to listen, at this moment just to the two last tracks, of Savall "Routes de l'Esclavage" and " Venezia Millenaria 700-1797 ".

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
If one is comparing music servers I think it is fair to assess the software path as well as the hardware path. Part of the software path is understanding who owns and controls the software.
If you want to compare music servers, let's listen and feel. It is so simple.

And if you try to take Roon to find fault with Wadax, have you listened to music from Wadax via Roon yet?

Reactions: bryans

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If you want to compare music servers, let's listen and feel. It is so simple.

And if you try to take Roon to find fault with Wadax, have you listened to music from Wadax via Roon yet?

You seem to be taking my comments personally. I never said or even insinuated that the Wadax server wasn't an amazing product, maybe even the best available, even though I have never heard it. However, I have been building, assessing and listening to music servers long enough to know what is important here and what should be taken into consideration.

Unlike analog (vinyl and reel), computer-based music is not static in nature and the hardware and software paths must also be considered. That's my only point.

This has gotten off topic so I won't comment further on it.

Reactions: lordcloud

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, for years you were very open and enthusiastic about your praise for the MSB and its vinyl like virtues. Clearly it's no easy feat to best it. Can you share a bit in your own words what the Wadax did more to your taste to make you decide on the change?
my view of the MSB has not changed. it's still the choice i would make of real world dacs. 5 years ago it was the clear choice, now others have come up as choices too. i wrote before that it took me 10 days after i left hearing the Wadax in Florida in early December before i was 'free' of the effects, and since then my MSB listening was fantastic. really great. at this point that is the way i would put it. if you own the MSB it's still fantastic.

and if i were to not have the Wadax Reference Dac i would have the MSB Select 2. the Wadax is just a step up in reality. forget audiophile check list stuff. it's simply more real sounding. this is a relative concept of degrees of things. it crosses a threshold. into clearer air.

at some point i will try my best to articulate a more complete (audiophile) answer.....if i'm able. give me some time.

as far as my decision; obviously i made the first decision to sell the MSB after Florida. i made the second decision to buy the Wadax after hearing it in my room on Friday. my initial interest has built up by reading all the information around and the timing of my retirement; i wanted to equip myself with the best tool for my long term listening now.

it's a huge commitment for me and lifestyle affecting. but this is important enough to me to do it.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
my view of the MSB has not changed. it's still the choice i would make of real world dacs. (...)

Why do you think that your MSB is a real world DAC and the Wadax is not? :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Why do you think that your MSB is a real world DAC and the Wadax is not? :)

the Wadax is not the first $150k dac. the 7 box CH Precision Mono Dac i think listed for $160k. and not better than the around $90k MSB.

but when you add the Wadax Server now you are over $200k retail. that is new ground. and not real world.

just my 2 cents. my point really is that other dacs don't have to equal the Wadax. but the bleeding edge is like that. someone will always shoot for the moon. and occasionally hit it.

but yes, many here can and have added the MSB Select 2 and are, and should be, thrilled and happy. it's real world.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
would every system have the same results that i am getting? i can see that both ways.....but hard for me to say. my sense is any mature system would get a similar result. but i could understand how in an unfamiliar show system the essence of the magic of the Wadax could be missed. if your head is into a checklist sort of way of hearing, you are navigating a strange system too, then maybe the reality enhancing implications of the Wadax could be missed.

the Wadax does all the checklist things better too, but it's the 'whole' of everything together that takes it further, not the parts.

at shows it's hard to get your head space into sitting back and just listening to music. and not sounds. sometimes something has to catch your attention to get your head into the right place. we all deal with this challenge differently.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing