Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Oh boy, this is turning into another video thread :mad:

• Sad
Reactions: Chop and adyc

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Oh boy, this is turning into another video thread :mad:
No it is not. I’m not here to debate the merits of system videos. I made a request of Todd and I’m waiting to see if he will step up and deliver the video that I’m interested in hearing. Please don’t derail the request.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
No it is not. I’m not here to debate the merits of system videos. I made a request of Todd and I’m waiting to see if he will step up and deliver the video that I’m interested in hearing. Please don’t derail the request.

"Step up"? The typical adolescent bullying by system video fanatics. Todd will probably not reply to your request, given that he has stated elsewhere the reasons why a system video can never be representative of the sound in the room.

So, just give it up already.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Todd, can you post a video of your system playing this song, which a fellow WBF member with a great SET/horns based system posted:

Please share a full length video of your system that showcases the level of refinement that you have been able to achieve with your components and meticulous set up procedure.

I listened to the brief clips in Ron’s interview video but I wasn’t able to appreciate the achievement that you and others speak of. I’m looking for an inspiration for future developments and judging from reports by others and the tone of your responses on your last few postings, it appears that you have achieved something special and I would like to hear it, even if it is just over videos. Videos do convey the quality of the system as demonstrated by the video posted above.

My version of the music.

My system is tri amped wtih active crossovers.

Main tower of Scaena is being dirven by Line Magnetic 508 SET fitted with vintage tubes.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012

My version of the music.

My system is tri amped wtih active crossovers.

Main tower of Scaena is being dirven by Line Magnetic 508 SET fitted with vintage tubes.

Very nice Thomas. Great PRAT on your system. Thanks for sharing.

It only takes a few minutes, the length of the song/track, to produce these videos. I do it without hesitation and don’t quite understand the trepidation others feel with sharing videos of their systems. Some write about the sound very eloquently, but a video will convey all that really needs to be said. Lately when I post my system videos I include no text/commentary as the videos speak for themselves and everyone is free to judge and come to their own conclusions.

Reactions: thomask

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I don’t know. How does one need to listen to these videos to “really” hear what they’re doing? Don’t mean to take one side or the other, but I listened to both of these videos on both my iPad and from my PC (with external but still cheapie Logitech speakers) and my system sounds way better than what I’m hearing from the videos. I’m sure it’s not because my system is better - it’s downright pedestrian compared to these two. But I’m not hearing enough of what I guess I’m supposed to from the videos. Maybe I’m just thrown by trying to discern as I normally don’t listen to music this way.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Very nice Thomas. Great PRAT on your system. Thanks for sharing.

It only takes a few minutes, the length of the song/track, to produce these videos. I do it without hesitation and don’t quite understand the trepidation others feel with sharing videos of their systems. Some write about the sound very eloquently, but a video will convey all that really needs to be said. Lately when I post my system videos I include no text/commentary as the videos speak for themselves and everyone is free to judge and come to their own conclusions.

Asking as you have for a video as a reference for you , is very ok and all , but to use them to draw a conclusion or believe you are truly able to decide good or a bad systems from them is really a non starter , in this situation I'm with Al M ..!

Just saying .....!

Reactions: adyc

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
I don’t know. How does one need to listen to these videos to “really” hear what they’re doing? Don’t mean to take one side or the other, but I listened to both of these videos on both my iPad and from my PC (with external but still cheapie Logitech speakers) and my system sounds way better than what I’m hearing from the videos. I’m sure it’s not because my system is better - it’s downright pedestrian compared to these two. But I’m not hearing enough of what I guess I’m supposed to from the videos. Maybe I’m just thrown by trying to discern as I normally don’t listen to music this way.

Best to use headphones and same type of phone doing the recording..!

Reactions: tony22

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
We have indeed a special thread for videos already on this forum .
I m also 100 % sure videos do no justice to the capabilities of the Trio G3

Ps audio enjoyment doesnt lie in a videobattle :cool:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Asking as you have for a video as a reference for you , is very ok and all , but to use them to draw a conclusion or believe you are truly able to decide good or a bad systems from them is really a non starter , in this situation I'm with Al M ..!

Just saying .....!

Just as it is with any “tool”, it is not about possessing it but rather about knowing how to use it. It appears that some know how to make use of videos, while others obviously don’t. No worries, we are not all walking around with the same egg on our shoulders. As with anything, if I and others say that we can infer and discern from system videos people should respect that, just as I respect those who claim that they cannot connect the dots.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I personally think there should be a limit of 2 videos per month for every member, give it a rest with the silly videos ! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Bergm@nn

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Just as it is with any “tool”, it is not about possessing it but rather about knowing how to use it. It appears that some know how to make use of videos, while others obviously don’t. No worries, we are not all walking around with the same egg on our shoulders. As with anything, if I and others say that we can infer and discern from system videos people should respect that, just as I respect those who claim that they cannot connect the dots.

Ohhh no difficulty here connecting such easy dots, especially knowing a youtube video cant captured , percussive energy , stage width or image placement or let you know if the speakers can get out of its way or just pure hifi ..

Not to mention the pipe and slippers music selection easy peasey to 98% of all systems on planet earth ..

So yes as i had acknowledge before it is your reference tool, not necessarily an accurate one ..

Regards

Reactions: Young Skywalker

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think with the Beethoven 5th, Metallica (in or out of phase) and Ron’s clips, Todd is posting sufficient videos on an ongoing basis so don’t see the need to ask him nor to debate this here

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You need good imagination and a big ego to hear the quality of your own videos, and some people here sure have it !:oops:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
It seems to me there are 2 different paths in audio .

Those who are in a constant battle to achieve " high fidelity " what ever that may be .
And people who just buy the stuff they like to listen to and simply enjoy it :cool:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Ohhh no difficulty here connecting such easy dots, especially knowing a youtube video cant captured , percussive energy , stage width or image placement or let you know if the speakers can get out of its way or just pure hifi ..

Not to mention the pipe and slippers music selection easy peasey to 98% of all systems on planet earth ..

So yes as i had acknowledge before it is your reference tool, not necessarily an accurate one ..

Regards

In your consideration, what is a better tool for comparative analysis?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing