Visit to Rhapsody Audio Brooklyn

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
All that wonderful gear and Bob cannot afford to illuminate the place ;) I look forward to your considerations of the day Ron.
This is the normal "listening lighting" ,which can be dimmed, in one of the several rooms downstairs. 20210923_101638-head-10.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Rhapsody is not set up for the last word in playback.

Speakers, electronics, cables etc are changing constantly (almost daily)

So just like any other audiophile then

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Carlos, Rhapsody is not set up for the last word in playback. It's an audio store.

Speakers, electronics, cables etc are constantly (almost daily) being moved from room to room depending on the visitors that are coming in. There are three or four more set ups that we did not get to listen to during Ron's visit. What was set up when Ron called and was able to come in on very short notice, just happened to be in place at that time. Nothing was optimized or ready for a serious listen.

If I was going to set up a particular system, which I do by appointment, for the best listening experience I would have to do that depending on a visitors before hand consultation and what they were interested in. Then I would take a few hours to get a particular system or systems set up for their visit.

Ron's visit was not this type of visit. It was more just stop by and see the Brooklyn location than a serious listening session.

Perhaps the short, unoptimized, listening still served Ron for some comparison analysis, with his system at home.

The video shorts are very nice as it allows those of us that weren’t there to get a small glimpse of the sound of each system. These combined with videos you posted yourself allow others to get a better idea of the sound of each of these set ups.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Perhaps the short, unoptimized, listening still served Ron for some comparison analysis, with his system at home.

The video shorts are very nice as it allows those of us that weren’t there to get a small glimpse of the sound of each system. These combined with videos you posted yourself allow others to get a better idea of the sound of each of these set ups.
What I usually find as I move speakers from room to room at times, is that you hear the difference in the rooms vs the difference in the speakers/systems.

As you know, even changing what wall the speakers/system is on can make a significant difference. Unfortunately I never get a system totally settled in. When I do get close, then for various reasons I have to move stuff or change rooms.

Reactions: Gardener

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
One does wonder. Seems very odd that there is no mention of the sound. Oh well.

I'm terribly sorry I did not want to be late to dinner with my parents whom I have not seen in three years so I could give you a satisfying report.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In each of the systems I heard, even briefly, I thought the sound sounded great.

Each of these systems offered the kind of sound I personally like, and the kind of sound I do not hear at most audio salons. None of the systems I heard sound like what I hear from ubiquitous dCS fronting Boulder/CH/Solution playing Magico/Wilson/YG.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Ron, thanks for taking the time to share your visit with us! It was like seeing a WBF Greatest Hits. Although I must say I was more than a little chuffed to Canada’s very own Triode Labs in the stable.

Reactions: chet atkins

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I spotted a very old Kondo Ongaku in addition to the latest version.
Yep, the Ongaku upstairs in the Odeon room is an '89, built by the venerable Kondo-San. That same '89 Ongaku is in the pic I attached with the normal lighting (post #21), downstairs in the Diesis room. I move things around A LOT.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur and bonzo75

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I for one really like the 'dark room' of stone and beams. However, that is why females think I have icky 'man tastes'.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I for one really like the 'dark room' of stone and beams. However, that is why females think I have icky 'man tastes'.
Those stones/bricks/beams have been sitting there since 1866:) The workers that did the work on the basement I'm sure never imagined they were building an audio "man cave". The alcove behind the Diesis speakers downstairs, which there are four of in the basement, were "coal chutes".

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
How do the stone walls voice compare to drywall?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Bob! Hi Ron!

How does being back in New York feel Ron? :)
Hi Jack!

It feels okay to be back in Manhattan. I don't have the animosity towards Manhattan I have had for the last 15 years or so, although Manhattan still is miserable in the same ways it has always been miserable. Conversely, it is still great in the ways it has always been great.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
my thought is stone is a more natural reflection like brick , there Sheetrock Rings
Now there are varying sheet rock types

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I suspect that it is the trap door leading down to the ‘Curious’ smelling subterranean room !

Reactions: cjfrbw

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
It was only a short, two hour visit. After a quick, initial walk-through of each of the rooms, it took me about 15 minutes to stop hyperventilating from seeing all of these goodies in this audio candy store.

The Alsyvox, being dipole planars, was the most familiar sound to me.
A shame Ron that you didn’t have enough time , this visit , to listen a little more to the VYGER Atlantis/ Red Sparrow combination.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing