Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

Dear Marc,

I never heard what its like in your room but I really wonder Why you are so crazy with this bass thing :oops:. Most of the times we cant win it all. I wish I could have such excellent bass so low down the ground not coming up above my waist but that's not going to happen given what I am not willing to compromise. It would be very interesting to me to see you try shooting for the unbeatable on some sound aspects in your system rather than seeing you try to win it all with what available in your hands.

Regarding small horns. I have heard the Cessaro Wagner small two way horns that sound two thumbs up in a room even bigger than mine. It was playing with Thoress amps, pre, phono and a Brinkmann. Just didnt have the scale and the level of energy as my big ones. But frankly that is generally a difference between a big speaker system and a small one. My point is don't "over think." It will lead you all over the places.

Do the WooZaaaa thing while exhaling. Be Zen, stop making out with Bonzo and you will find your own nirvana.

Best regards,
Tang :)

The Cessaro Wagner is an interesting speaker. My Odeon La Boheme are a similar design (i.e. 2-way horn loaded with front horn tweeter and back horn loaded mid/bass), in terms of size and output. There is also three designs from Bastanis that are similar and in the right setting deliver great sound. I have found that this kind of horn bass is very agreeable sounding with huge punch in the midbass, although it doesn't go super low...in my room it is good to 35 Hz or so. The Wagner will likely make a quite large scale in a room that is simply too small for your huge Cessaros. If you have the space though, a well integrated big speaker is definitely the way to go...

Brad, I've heard both the Liszts and Chopins (predecessors to Wagners) at the UK dealer, albeit in different rooms and gear.

Much as I really rated the Liszt that day, the Chopin actually sounded more coherent and holistic. Unfortunately no home demo was forthcoming, and so any possibility of purchase passed.

1.2-1.5m high is the maximum I can accommodate w my sloping eaves, and I now have my eye on an interesting contender, that ticks so many boxes.

But I'm pretty good as is, Barry's recent advice and my changes are proving v fruitful, and I may finally be at a point where my sub bass settings purgatory is coming to an end.

Interestingly as that end approaches, and I've reached maximum eeking out phase on my Zus, I'm about to hear something potentially a lot more impressive.

This is where he plays Bach's bouree in the lead

It was while listening to page do heartbreaker that van Halen for the idea to tapping. Of course page moved on while van Halen got stuck.

Brad, I've heard both the Liszts and Chopins (predecessors to Wagners) at the UK dealer, albeit in different rooms and gear.

Much as I really rated the Liszt that day, the Chopin actually sounded more coherent and holistic. Unfortunately no home demo was forthcoming, and so any possibility of purchase passed.

1.2-1.5m high is the maximum I can accommodate w my sloping eaves, and I now have my eye on an interesting contender, that ticks so many boxes.

But I'm pretty good as is, Barry's recent advice and my changes are proving v fruitful, and I may finally be at a point where my sub bass settings purgatory is coming to an end.

Interestingly as that end approaches, and I've reached maximum eeking out phase on my Zus, I'm about to hear something potentially a lot more impressive.

Maybe have a look for some corner horn subs...there are some kits out there and some other fairly compact horn subs that could do just the trick...then you could shut off the down firing woofers in your Zus... Horn bass rocks!

Maybe have a look for some corner horn subs...there are some kits out there and some other fairly compact horn subs that could do just the trick...then you could shut off the down firing woofers in your Zus... Horn bass rocks!

Hi Brad,

Please would you send me some links to said subs as they sound very interesting.

Best.

Van Halen didn't invent tapping, Steve Hackett did. VH is on record saying he and his brother bought early Genesis records and were floored by the guitarist.

Hackett > VH, of course.

Would anyone like to throw the late, greatly missed Allan Holdsworth into the mix? Ok, I will.

He took both these icons talents and techniques to even greater heights.

Eddie bows at the altar of the new boss in the liner notes to Metal Fatigue.

VH also played all of Clapton leads by the time he was 14. I pinky brought him up due to the heartbreaker mention, because he watched page do heartbreaker and got the idea to tap

Brad,

I hope you are taking care of your back. The AC electronics are super heavy. LoL
I see numbers that would be heavy in pounds that are actually Kgs!

Wisnon, if we were all sane, we'd be dealing w light gear like OTL amps, headphone rigs, OB spkrs etc

You cannot even start to imagine the sheer Hell of humping 115Kg pallets of Stacore 20' up a tight spiral staircase. My 85Kg Westwick bpt wasn't much easier.

Reactions: bonzo75
Wisnon, if we were all sane, we'd be dealing w light gear like OTL amps, headphone rigs, OB spkrs etc

You cannot even start to imagine the sheer Hell of humping 115Kg pallets of Stacore 20' up a tight spiral staircase. My 85Kg Westwick bpt wasn't much easier.

Marc, there is a place in Essex where you can audition the audio machina with Berning quadrature. I think it is a great small system very transparent, linear, fast and musical. And you can carry it upstairs easily

Yes Bonzo, the chap w Bergmann, Berning and Bastani, yes?

I'm wary of just dropping in on people if I'm not a serious potential customer. I didn't like OTLs on the Zus, and they're not best suited to the horns I'm going to audition. And I really don't get on w Bastani.

There's an interesting lower cost parallel to the Bernings as well re LTA out of Washington.

I'm wary of just dropping in on people if I'm not a serious potential customer. I didn't like OTLs on the Zus, and they're not best suited to the horns I'm going to audition. And I really don't get on w Bastani.

There's an interesting lower cost parallel to the Bernings as well re LTA out of Washington.

All OTLs are different. The Berning quads to me are really good, best after tenor OTL, very reliable, don't get hot. Very different sounding to other OTLs. The small ones are just not in the same league. In fact I doubt like them. I don't like his Bastanis either. if I decided to buy a simple system and focus on records, his is one of two I would buy, the other being devore orangutan. It is also very room acoustic friendly.

Brad,

I hope you are taking care of your back. The AC electronics are super heavy. LoL
I see numbers that would be heavy in pounds that are actually Kgs!
Yes, but not to worry, I tuck the Genus under one arm and the Kassandra under the other .

Funny because Bastsnis are probably in many ways closest to you Zus. Augmented widebanders being the main theme. I am actually interested in hearing their horn series (rothorn, wild horn and Matterhorn) rather than the open baffle models.

All OTLs are different. The Berning quads to me are really good, best after tenor OTL, very reliable, don't get hot. Very different sounding to other OTLs. The small ones are just not in the same league. In fact I doubt like them. I don't like his Bastanis either. if I decided to buy a simple system and focus on records, his is one of two I would buy, the other being devore orangutan. It is also very room acoustic friendly.
Not actually OTLs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing