Visit to Chris to See Magico M9 and VYGER and Pilium in Southlake, Texas

>>>Really I don't think that audio shows suck for consumers. Again, agree to disagree. I think shows are great for both vendors and attendees.

Sorry, Bob, the music played often sucks. "Safe" crap that no one really likes. Exhibitors try to "please" everyone and end up pleasing nobody.

Sorry, Bob, the music played often sucks. "Safe" crap that no one really likes. Exhibitors try to "please" everyone and end up pleasing nobody.
Last year, at Axpona, I was working in the Bayz room with Zoltan. I’d play Copeland’s “Fanfare” followed by Yello’s “Oh Yeah”. The room was packed - lots of smiles, and one guy commented “best demo tracks I’ve heard all day!”

(of course, somebody else likely felt “yuk”)

Working with Bob @ PNW Audiofest, I can say his demo music is a very eclectic mix and between the two of us very little “girl with guitar”. Its a balancing act trying to DJ and read the room with lots of visitors streaming in/out. Classical is tough for me I have very little knowledge I don’t play it much at home.

>>>> We are talking about M9 and WAMM not XVX. The flagship products of both Wilson and Magico. No one said that this video submarined sales. I am saying that Magico and myself have made a conscious decision several years ago not to market the Magico flagship product via YT videos. Nothing to do with sales. Wanting to keep the M9 special, nothing more than that.

BTW , Not special Bob , you mean Exclusive, so just those worthy can hear it ...!

:)

Last year, at Axpona, I was working in the Bayz room with Zoltan. I’d play Copeland’s “Fanfare” followed by Yello’s “Oh Yeah”. The room was packed - lots of smiles, and one guy commented “best demo tracks I’ve heard all day!”

(of course, somebody else likely felt “yuk”)

Working with Bob @ PNW Audiofest, I can say his demo music is a very eclectic mix and between the two of us very little “girl with guitar”. Its a balancing act trying to DJ and read the room with lots of visitors streaming in/out. Classical is tough for me I have very little knowledge I don’t play it much at home.
In all fairness classical is only the preference as demo music in a old guys forum like this, in real life other music is widely preferred and classical will empty the room pretty fast. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: morricab and cjfrbw
In all fairness classical is only the preference as demo music in a old guys forum like this
Because the old guys were born same time as Beethoven and the other composers and developed these music tastes then, growing up? What exactly is the reason only old guys prefer classical.

i can understand why only old guys turn up at concerts of both Eric Clapton and AC/DC, because these were the guys playing in their teens

Last edited:
So far the big magico s havent impressed me, ( same for the latest big wilsons )
In the past I heard M5 Q7 at dealershows Q5 private setting M6 at shows
I hope the M7 will change this , if work allows i ll be attendending a M7 show next weekend .

Magico V3 is still my favourite together with S5 and the latest S3 which i heard last year .

The bigger the speaker the more integration becomes complex and difficult .

I never heard the M9 .

(Wilson Sasha DAW is also a nice speaker imo)

Last edited:
Because the old guys were born same time as Beethoven and the other composers and developed these music tastes then, growing up? What exactly is the reason only old guys prefer classical.

i can understand why only old guys turn up at concerts of both Eric Clapton and AC/DC, because these were the guys playing in their teens
I don't know why Ked, but you are a old guy in a young mans body ! ;)

LOL! The curvy daggers are out in this thread. I think Ked needs a gray wig and a fake pot belly when he does his audio room reviews. Slim and fit doesn't cut it. It's insulting to the base.

Sure the music often sucks but I've heard a LOT of great sound at shows and the music doesn't suck. Not sure how you can make a blanket statement about "exhibitors" play safe music. There are many exhibitors that play first gen R2R that is mesmerizing or great vinyl as well as digital.

I prefer to judge on a room by room, exhibitor by exhibitor whether the music they are playing sucks vs. exhibitors in general play music that sucks.

We just have different opinions on the subject, nothing wrong with that.

Edit: I heard the Living Voice Olympian/Elysians around 3 or 4 years ago at Munich. The sound is still with me. It mesmerized me and actually gave me a hint on where I wanted to go sonically with my selection of speakers and electronics. That was high efficiency speaker and low power tubes.

Last edited:
The bigger the speaker the more integration becomes complex and difficult .

I never heard the M9 .

I heard no integration issue on the M9 whatsoever. It sounds very much "of a piece." I cannot imagine a dynamic driver speaker aficionado not being completely amazed by M9s.

My favorite Magico now is the M9, and my favorite Wilson is the XVX -- so we have come to different sonic conclusions derived from different sonic preferences.

BTW , Not special Bob , you mean Exclusive, so just those worthy can hear it ...!

:)
Not really. Anyone can schedule a visit to either the Magico factory or the Dallas showroom to hear the M9s.

Ask Joey V, who posted above. We hosted three nights for a total of around 50 visitors last year to hear the M9s. Not to sell M9s, just to give those the chance if they wanted that experience,

The marketing of the product via the YT videos is a different conversation. I stick with the word special vs the other models in the Magico line where we have no issue with YT videos.

Reactions: bonzo75 and joey_v
Not withstanding Bob's comments which relate to Magico, here is the issue as I see it: There is more to it than entertainment. There is a bigger industry picture here regarding dealer behavior and relations. Ron is a dealer in competition with other dealers. Ron posted a mediocre video of another dealer's speaker. The issue is about one dealer going to another dealer's showroom and making videos and public comments about that dealer's products.
And here is the issue as I see it. Audio quality, dealer behavior protocol and Magicos policies notwithstanding, was the reason for posting for general educational purposes and well intentioned without any hidden nefarious agenda or the opposite?.

There's common sense and "other"personal perspectives for this "in the weeds" discussion. Both have validity to a degree but I tend to gravitate to the former viewpoint absent compelling proof to the contrary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.
Sure the music often sucks but I've heard a LOT of great sound at shows and the music doesn't suck. Not sure how you can make a blanket statement about "exhibitors" play safe music. There are many exhibitors that play first gen R2R that is mesmerizing or great vinyl as well as digital.

I prefer to judge on a room by room, exhibitor by exhibitor whether the music they are playing sucks vs. exhibitors in general play music that sucks.

We just have different opinions on the subject, nothing wrong with that.

Edit: I heard the Living Voice Olympian/Elysians around 3 or 4 years ago at Munich. The sound is still with me. It mesmerized me and actually gave me a hint on where I wanted to go sonically with my selection of speakers and electronics. That was high efficiency speaker and low power tubes.
When well recorded reggae & hip hop was played on those very speakers in Munich they just fell apart.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: caesar and XV-1
When well recorded reggae & hip hop was played on those very speakers in Munich they just fell apart.
Yes, I did not hear any of that only one or two selections that were magical when I was in the room.

Your big Lorenzos are as good, if not better....Again imho
Yes, the Lorenzo’s are amazing and efficient too.

I have the LM 3s arriving early this week as well.

And here is the issue as I see it. Audio quality, dealer behavior protocol and Magicos policies notwithstanding, was the reason for posting for general educational purposes and well intentioned without any hidden nefarious agenda or the opposite?.

There's common sense and "other"personal perspectives for this "in the weeds" discussion. Both have validity to a degree but I tend to gravitate to the former viewpoint absent compelling proof to the contrary.

Okay, you have your point of view. I don't consider intention.or motive -- that is something I cannot know and choose not to speculate. Proof enough is in behavior.

So you are a guilty until proven innocent kind of guy. I am the opposite. Oh well. Your prejudicial bias is quite obvious.

At shows, I tended to like the smaller Magico's more. With Wilson, it was the opposite, I liked the larger ones from Maxx on up more.

I guess that's good news in some ways for those in realistic average audio spaces for Magico speakers, but of course, I haven't heard all of either brand in optimal conditions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing