Visit to Audiophile Bill to hear his horns project

Alexander (famous Russian audiophile based out of Moscow) has the BD4 drivers but he is now using them with custom field coil motors with Armco solid billet body with full permendur pole. He has a custom designed Tungar power supply for them.

Long story short, I managed to lay my hands on these crazy motors for myself. Was speaking to the Russian engineer today and they are being sent this week - takes a while to arrive.

562D04C1-AA93-42D0-9F15-BD7D0188E159.jpeg

Here are the power supplies :D

4978079F-75FB-473F-8E51-5A268F21056A.jpeg

One of the good ones. I truly believe the man's primary motivation is just to help people enjoy music. It's crazy how much time and effort he spends on non-commercial projects for the masses...
I think the masses are still happy w their Boses, soundbars and ear buds. But for those after a certain sweet spot of deeply emotional playback, he's making these for them. And he made them just for the sheer bloody minded ambition to just make them, and make them as well as he could. I've been privy to him relaying his extremely personal narrative on getting to this point, and it's a compelling story.
Now I sound like the Oprah or Piers Morgan of WBF lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Audiophile Bill
Thanks Jeffrey. I am going to move it all into my big room soon so will be nice for good photos of whole thing then.
If you need a pretty setting for some nice pics with great view, I would offer you my living room :D

Um Justin, they ARE crazy. But in a very good way indeed. For me it's the series of contradictions that really tickles me.
5.5'x2'x2.5' monoliths that just don't seem to be there, 300lb in weight producing the most effortless music, super fast full range drivers seamless into multiple 15" woofers. I'm just not seeing this synergy of attributes in anything else real world, certainly not in the horns universe.
No disrespect to Bill, he has no right hitting the ground running this way to produce what I believe is a landmark design. To get this so right is special beyond measure. And to achieve the suspension of disbelief in detached, archetype free soundfield is a "beyond" experience.
Listening to my Zus subsequently remains no less enjoyable, but every shortcoming in them is now ruthlessly revealed.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph
What is the size of your big room? Do you expect any change in presentation of your speaker in a big room compared to small room?

That is 24’9 x 14’3. So not big by US standards lol but fine for U.K.

I expect that the soundstage will explode enormously and fill the big room to the brim. I also suspect that the bass will breathe big.
Anyway - will keep you posted when it happens. Won’t be long now.

Bill's horns are the first spkrs I've heard which project music to completely detach from them, but also to backward layer so dramatically.
It's so outside my scope of home playback to effectively not know music is coming from the spkrs but also not have the music pushed out, or "delivered" to me.
So Bill's presentation is to effectively have a loudspeaker-free sound, and you the listener both look onto the stage, but are also invited into it
This is not a function of lack of focus, or smoothing of leading edge, or hazing of black backgrounds, or blunting of dynamics, or any other such hifi checklist BS.
It's effectively a presentation that is so beguiling to start (no sound detected from the horns, how cool is that?!) and effectively carries on the trick of unrushed unforced presentation that is a hallmark of the best live acoustic.
That sound presentation is quite something right? It is like a sound scene starting half a meter behind the speakers. Completely detached from speakers but yet the music reach to you with substance. Sound of each instrument just radiates in the air with tangibility...resembling live behind the speakers. The recording, the musical performance tells its own story. You move to another record another story is presented. With enough transparency the air clarity of music scene fuses together with the air of the listening room. if the electronics don't paint the background to make a stark artificial contrast, you won't feel any black background that separates you and the music scene. Your room become part of the audience.

Sometime we think we have heard so many and our reference is high, only one day you get wacked with the sound of a system that is beyond our believed to be extensive experience. Often we debate so much but that is only because our hearing reference is not at the same level. I am glad you get to hear "that" sound at Bill's. Your reference is now raised. :p

. . . It is like a sound scene starting half a meter behind the speakers. Completely detached from speakers but yet the music reach to you with substance. Sound of each instrument just radiates in the air with tangibility...resembling live behind the speakers. The recording, the musical performance tells its own story. You move to another record another story is presented. With enough transparency the air clarity of music scene fuses together with the air of the listening room. if the electronics don't paint the background to make a stark artificial contrast, you won't feel any black background that separates you and the music scene. Your room become part of the audience.

. . .
This is beautifully written!

I can really vouch for Bill's efforts. Herculean is a good summary, but the inert mass of these has led to the most delicate of outcomes.
My biggest takeaway from these spkrs, and I'm still trying to weigh up what it all means, is the "backward layering" soundstage.
My Zus don't image particularly strongly, so I was particularly taken aback by this aspect. I have heard horns be quite assertive in forward staging, Barry's Duos and Animas eg, and horns that are crazy depth holographic
like the Denman Exponential.
And I have heard weird "bubble-like" soundfields from setups like ML Prodigies on Musical Fidelity KW solid state beasties.
I have been procuring a way more naturally deep stage w my Zus, but even now it is quite locked into the plane of the spkrs so that I'm never not aware I'm hearing the Zus in the final event.
Bill's horns are the first spkrs I've heard which project music to completely detach from them, but also to backward layer so dramatically.
It's so outside my scope of home playback to effectively not know music is coming from the spkrs but also not have the music pushed out, or "delivered" to me.
So Bill's presentation is to effectively have a loudspeaker-free sound, and you the listener both look onto the stage, but are also invited into it
This is not a function of lack of focus, or smoothing of leading edge, or hazing of black backgrounds, or blunting of dynamics, or any other such hifi checklist BS.
It's effectively a presentation that is so beguiling to start (no sound detected from the horns, how cool is that?!) and effectively carries on the trick of unrushed unforced presentation that is a hallmark of the best live acoustic.
I will admit, I struggled with it on first visit...not that I didn't like it, more I was unprepared for it and it's far from my more usual presentation, and far from what many horns do.
Now, third time of asking, I'm aware of it, and finding I'm liking it.
I'm not sure if Barry agrees w me, but this level of backward layering does alter dependent on the LP played, so I felt it wasn't imposed as a coloration or affectation. So while my Allan Holdsworth sublime jazz guitar from 1975 was revealed in all it's ambient glory with plenty of tonal depth and air/studio cues, Yes full tilt prog from the same year was flatter and more direct. And both were hugely engrossing.
Despite my initial hesitation, I do feel this move to backward layering would give a whole new perspective on much jazz and classical, allowing me to properly discern the musical essence on so many performances that my Zus only get so far with.

(Emphasis added.)

Welcome to the Soundstage, Marc.

Alexander (famous Russian audiophile based out of Moscow) has the BD4 drivers but he is now using them with custom field coil motors with Armco solid billet body with full permendur pole. He has a custom designed Tungar power supply for them.

Long story short, I managed to lay my hands on these crazy motors for myself. Was speaking to the Russian engineer today and they are being sent this week - takes a while to arrive.

View attachment 79363
Big sigh. I had gone relatively silent on a more recent field coil notion because I like to sit with ideas just for a little before committing… but yesterday’s big reveal of your horns really has lit a bit of a fire in me. However seeing these pics has put the fear of DIY back in me :eek: … that is amazing (almost scarily so) Bill. I thought I might get lost down that tungar psu rabbit’s hole and there you go joyously sailing and freefalling through it. Wow. I take my hat off. Fantastic.

Last edited:
That sound presentation is quite something right? It is like a sound scene starting half a meter behind the speakers. Completely detached from speakers but yet the music reach to you with substance. Sound of each instrument just radiates in the air with tangibility...resembling live behind the speakers. The recording, the musical performance tells its own story. You move to another record another story is presented. With enough transparency the air clarity of music scene fuses together with the air of the listening room. if the electronics don't paint the background to make a stark artificial contrast, you won't feel any black background that separates you and the music scene. Your room become part of the audience.

Sometime we think we have heard so many and our reference is high, only one day you get wacked with the sound of a system that is beyond our believed to be extensive experience. Often we debate so much but that is only because our hearing reference is not at the same level. I am glad you get to hear "that" sound at Bill's. Your reference is now raised. :p
Well, so much stuff out there is *different*, often better in some ways, but also worse in others. The only two demos I've been to in the last decade that left a lasting impression on me (Cessaro Liszts, Apogee Divas Graz restores) were both hugely impressive, but still left me w more Qs than answers. And the other two systems I've heard that are very consistent in their goodness (optimised AG Duos on bespoke 45 tubes and heavily modded ML Spires stats on Concert Fidelity hybrids) still have aspects I'd be a little bit unsure about long term. Kinda like life, no choice or decision is without compromise.
But other than my observations on backward layering that is more a matter of taste than a criticism or doubt, Bill's horns are both totally consistent on all the things you'd want from a loudspeaker, accentuate the positives of horns w none of the negatives I can discern, and sprinkle some real stardust on the sound.
And do the fully detached sound that I can honestly say I've never heard elsewhere, other than the Denman Exponential Horn. And this was in a cluttered room w less than ideal listening distance to the horns.
In a space where they can breathe a bit, they'll stretch their wings I'm sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob181
Big sigh. I had gone relatively silent on a more recent field coil notion because I like to sit with ideas just for a little before committing… but yesterday’s big reveal of your horns really has lit a bit of a fire in me. However seeing these pics has put the fear of DIY back in me :eek: … that is amazing (almost scarily so) Bill. I thought I might get lost down that tungar psu rabbit’s hole and there you go joyously sailing and freefalling through it. Wow. I take my hat off. Fantastic.
Obviously the madness crosses continents.

As long as Bill brings his craft beer machine along for the ride.

Bill & Tao's excellent adventure? Not the second part in the series
Think that Bills travelling on a whole nuther level to my way more modest efforts. Though pubs, night clubs and micro breweries have been family business so can do craft beer at least :)

Reactions: Rob181
Graham, you're too modest. You and Bill are fellow travellers. It's a small group full of the most interesting people...if all these blogs on gargantuan horns projects are to be taken at face value.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill
Graham, you're too modest. You and Bill are fellow travellers. It's a small group full of the most interesting people...if all these blogs on gargantuan horns projects are to be taken at face value.
Marc now I am blushing… gargantuan horn… I’m a simple fella :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing