Venit, vidit, Lampucera

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
For whatever reason, I woke up far too early and having nothing better to do I turned to YouTube, as one does, and on my home page the video I'm posting below at the top of the suggested video list. It was informational, to say the least:

DIY: Lampucera

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
So does his DAC have Engine 11?

I like this guy a lot. (this is the first time I've ever seen him. I don't spend much time on youtube because I have to listen to it. I prefer to read while listening to music).

When I was young and poor I would have been all over this. He shares a lot of design priorities and component preference with my own strategies. I wish he was in the US, I would invite him to bring it over and compare to my new GG3. I did notice his comment on the output cap sizes and I think I'll look inside and see what the GG3 has. The GG3 has tremendous "kick" (the term he used) so I'm just curious, not likely to start modifying it yet but I'm never above modiifying anything I own.

Notice at the end he lists some of the things he didn't include that are standard on modern DACs. For high end DACs like Lampi, this is not a problem. I'm sure they are all implemented in a way that does not degrade sound. But when you are a budget DAC maker ($3K or less) trying to mass produce dACs, then the mass produced DACs may have to do things that degrade sound. This could explain some of why he is so happy with the performace of this DAC. I am a minimalist at heart but can aford the luxury of a Lampizator.

Reactions: matsurus

matsurus

Aug 24, 2023
That was interesting..
I think i might build one, i just built TDA1541A tube dac, so it would be interesting to see how it could compare..

Reactions: Carlsbad

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
That was interesting..
I think i might build one, i just built TDA1541A tube dac, so it would be interesting to see how it could compare..
In the last segment, he talked about different brands of capacitors and sizes, and one of his crew swapped out capacitors for larger ones in his Lampizator Baltic 3.

Granted, I have to/want to believe that the internal construction has evolved exponentially since this EARLIER design, but by how much ??? hmmm...

matsurus

Aug 24, 2023
In the last segment, he talked about different brands of capacitors and sizes, and one of his crew swapped out capacitors for larger ones in his Lampizator Baltic 3.

Granted, I have to/want to believe that the internal construction has evolved exponentially since this EARLIER design, but by how much ??? hmmm...
No idea. never heard Lampizator before so interested to see how this one sounds..

I have heard gustard R26 (that iiwi compared) and i think it is a very fine dac, my friend who owns it does not like that it makes instruments larger than they are sometimes but i don't care, i like it big.
Only thing that was quite missing was organic flow, and more alive quality of vocals from my earlier tube tda1543dac i compared r26 with.
So, if this lampucera has tonality that betters r26 and even better holographic soundstage, i definitely will be interested since i don't have money right now for 10.000e dacs..

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA

Looking at the build sheet for my Lampizator Golden Gate 3, I see that the output caps are 1.0uF....wouldn't be hard to change them out, even if just for an experiment.

Jerry

matsurus

Aug 24, 2023
You should if you want, i have changed many capacitors in gear, but not to same brand and just bigger value.

If you do it, report away what you hear..
Also parts quality matter, audio note dac 1.1x and 5.5x has same circuit, more expensive has better parts.

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
You should if you want, i have changed many capacitors in gear, but not to same brand and just bigger value.

If you do it, report away what you hear..
Also parts quality matter, audio note dac 1.1x and 5.5x has same circuit, more expensive has better parts.
I may have in stalled a capacitor or two in my 40+ years of tweeking.

Reactions: matsurus

matsurus

Aug 24, 2023
Well , i actually ordered the kit from china, same as in video.
It should come in a month or two, and as it happens i already have in stock 2.2uf audyn true copper in hand + case..
I have to design and build my speaker on the side though, so no idea of any timelines but lampucera is happening..

Reactions: Superchunk

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
I switched off he said the output stage uses 9 pin tubes.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing