Vangelis - passing of a legend

29 March 1943 Agria, Greece
17 May 2022 (aged 79) Paris, France

1654158594862.png

I realised today Vangelis passed 17th May 2022. I spent a lot of time listening his albums, and everyone pretty much heard his film themes. For example Bladerunner, Chariots of Fire, Mutiny on the Bounty, Alexander, Conquest of Paradise, 2000 commercials, it goes on. The music was a huge part of any film he worked on.

Ironically Vangelis pushes back at his success, saying it had the opposite effect of his creativity. He has an interesting view on the importance of music above all other aspects of live.

And the classic Heaven & Hell album

I had so much passion for Yes in my teens, which has continued even today 40 years later. I have seen them live 5 times with various lineups, and every show was superb. The musical partnerships with Jon & Vangelis IMO were magical, timeless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of his other somewhat underrated albums are the city, oceanic, see you later and soil festivities with some amazing imaging, Melodie’s and emotions conveyed. A true legend, coupled with the recent passing of Klaus Schulze representing the original synth pioneers.

Yes Klaus Schulze also a legend. Quite different styles, of course Klaus was in Tangerine Dream in the early years, then did many solo projects and participations. The 11 CD set with Pete Namlook is super, I recommend anyone looking that up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing