van den Hul Colibri Grand Cru

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
It is going to be Karmeli approved, if David has listened to it and checked the specs, it is of higher value to me than someone writing 5R's on the box.

Fwiw. those two things tend to be comensurate. It's not the writing on the box that marks a 5R, it's the relative perfection of the build.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Most of the VDH cartridges i see for sale have the 5R markings these days ! :rolleyes:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Last edited:

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Svartskog, Greater Oslo, Norway
I recently got the opportunity to upgrade my G.C. to the Elite and have decided to go for it. Not yet sent to Van den Hul, but hopefully it will be done in the near future.

Must say I am looking forward to it.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Received notification today that my GC is finished and is now upgraded to the Elite. The 300 hour service plus some cleaning has also been done. Cant wait to have Fedex at my front door.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Someone very knowledgeable who will remain nameless here, told me the difference in sample to sample variation, is bigger than the upgrade from Grand Cru to Elite. :eek:

Reactions: tima

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I totally agree. I lost complete confidence in this company. In the space of few years, this cartridge has been upgraded faster than any F1 upgrades. Master -> 5R -> GC-> Elite. I predict in the next few months, there will be an Ultimate version.

Reactions: cuntigh

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I totally agree. I lost complete confidence in this company. In the space of few years, this cartridge has been upgraded faster than any F1 upgrades. Master -> 5R -> GC-> Elite. I predict in the next few months, there will be an Ultimate version.

Which model(s) do you own?

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Nice. Are the differences substantial? Which do you prefer?
To be honest, I don’t think there are substantial differences. I slightly prefer GC. That’s why I feel they just rename basically the same cartridge to squeeze more money from the buyers.

Reactions: bazelio

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To be honest, I don’t think there are substantial differences. I slightly prefer GC. That’s why I feel they just rename basically the same cartridge to squeeze more money from the buyers.

Audioquattr systematically measured his carts at vdh (since he is a local and has visited a few times) and his impedance varies a lot from 13 ohm on GC to 39 for the higher output MS. With GC, he is able to get a lower impedance at a higher output, this could be due to the magnet used. For the same cart, as output lowers, the impedance drops, but for the MS to get close to the GC impedance takes quite a drop in output.

That said, both were set up on the SME 3012r on the AF3p, and we preferred the MS to the GC, slightly due to better highs - the GC seemed a tad too polite while the MS was more realistic.

Last edited:

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Audioquattr systematically measured his carts at vdh (since he is a local and has visited a few times) and his impedance varies a lot from 0.13 on GC to 0.39 for the higher output MS. With GC, he is able to get a lower impedance at a higher output, this could be due to the magnet used. For the same cart, as output lowers, the impedance drops, but for the MS to get close to the GC impedance takes quite a drop in output.

That said, both were set up on the SME 3012r on the AF3p, and we preferred the MS to the GC, slightly due to better highs - the GC seemed a tad too polite while the MS was more realistic.
impedance 0.13 ohm? That is impossibly low. Do you mean 13 ohm?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
impedance 0.13 ohm? That is impossibly low. Do you mean 13 ohm?

Sorry yes - the output of the GC was 0.7mv and for the 13 ohm and that of the MS for a similar output was 39. The MS had to drop substantially to get to an impedance close to GC.

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Received my Grand Cru Elite a few weeks ago. Upgraded from standard G.C to Elite as it was sent to VdH for the 300 hour service. Today I got it mounted in my Bergmann Odin arm. Excited to hear how it performs in the linear tracking Odin.

IMG_2135.jpeg IMG_2134.jpeg

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: infinitely baffled

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing