UHQR 45rpm Steely Dan---7 early titles---announced last week--ordered them all.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
thanks for the detour into day-dreams guys......i have my share from the 70's too. went to college, got married, and both my kids were born.....in the 70's. it was the time of my life.

i got my apparently original pressing of 'Can't Buy A Thrill' yesterday. and this morning did a quick A/B/A/B with my UHQR 45 and reissue.

the original has more presence, air and top end delicacy. the original flows a bit better. you see into the original a bit more. dynamics are slightly different related to the flow. the UHQR and reissue might have slightly more weight, but the original is more agile. the UHQR 45 separates things better, backgrounds are quieter, than the original.

the UHQR is very good and enjoyable. but i would grab the original if choosing between the 2.
Mike, I wonder if the changes you observed (...the original has more presence, air and top end delicacy) could be due to need to adjust the VTA for 200gm LPs vs the original pressing (probably140gm?) By my take, the difference in vinyl thickness is about 500 microns. (It's certainly not fun to make this change for thicker records, but the Herbie's 500uM audio mat is a nice way to demonstrate the difference without the set-up hassle that a real VTA adjustment might bring.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I wonder if the changes you observed (...the original has more presence, air and top end delicacy) could be due to need to adjust the VTA for 200gm LPs vs the original pressing (probably140gm?) By my take, the difference in vinyl thickness is about 500 microns. (It's certainly not fun to make this change for thicker records, but the Herbie's 500uM audio mat is a nice was to demonstrate the difference without the set-up hassle that a real VTA adjustment might bring.
Marty,

i played it on all three turntables. had the same result. but you could be 100% correct.

i'm not one to mess with VTA pressing to pressing. my personal opinion is that over time more bad than good would come from it. and it would detract from the flow of my listening. not in any way questioning the possibility that it could matter. i don't use any mats at this point. ignorance might be bliss.

but a week from now (after thinking about it) you never know. :rolleyes:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing