Turntable Dilemma.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
I have owned the Technics SL-1000R for 3 years now and I do not like stock arm being locked into the primary position and if I changed it out I would have to unsolder the arm leads and the table would lose its stock value and to some that would be a deal breaker if I wanted to sell the table in the future. The Kuzma 9 and 11 inch arm will not fit in that position only the 14 inch will this is from Franc Kuzma himself spindle to pivot too short. All of this and the fact that I would have to hang a base on the left side or rear to mount another arm thats looks gaudy at best makes me want to shed this table for something else. Now to some this may sound crazy but I was looking at the Stabi R and 4 point 11 inch arm on a isolation base, Franc is a great guy and takes pride in his company and products so is this a sideways move? I am willing to listen to all of your opinions especially the Kuzma owners that have listened to this table and let me know what you think.
Thanks for your opinions.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
The stock arm sounds ok but the fact I have to hang a platform on the side or back of the table to improve the sound its like after I find a better arm and cant remove the stock arm and knowing it will just sit there most likely to never be used in the primary position makes the table less attractive.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
So ( per Kuzma ) you can place a 4pt14 in place of the stock arm? Is desoldering the arm the only 'damage'? Seems like a reversible mod if so...

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
I was looking at the 11 inch 4 point arm not the 14 and I am not sure I want to change the stock configuration sure it can be done but it sure is a hassle plus the 11 inch arm cannot be used in the primary position on that table.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i would sell the SL-1000R 'system', then choose a plinth that fits your taste in arms and buy the SP-10R.

my understanding is that the tt far outclasses the arm. it's an end game tt. and will benefit from a great plinth.

you will get frustrated otherwise. it might cost some in the short term to do that switch but in the long run you will happy.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
Mike thanks for the reply, the other thing I do like about Kuzma tables is you can put a outer ring on warped records but on technics tables you can't. I do like vacuum hold down but the ring is second best so I have heard.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
The other thing is Technics are now made in Malaysia and not in Japan so how good will quality be? the other thing is they fired alot of USA dealers so what is going on there?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
i would sell the SL-1000R 'system', then choose a plinth that fits your taste in arms and buy the SP-10R.

my understanding is that the tt far outclasses the arm. it's an end game tt. and will benefit from a great plinth.

you will get frustrated otherwise. it might cost some in the short term to do that switch but in the long run you will happy.

If I ever go DIY in turntables this would be my choice - building a plinth for the SP-10R, keeping the Graham. The assurance of having the best motor pushing an audio adventure! :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The other thing is Technics are now made in Malaysia and not in Japan so how good will quality be? the other thing is they fired alot of USA dealers so what is going on there?

build location could be an issue; it's a reasonable question. if that is what it takes for Technics to continue to offer these great products then i vote yes. we audiophiles and music lovers need these tt's more than Technics needs us. they made a huge commitment to our hobby and so i want them to profit from it.

my guess on the 'dealer' issue is that plenty of 'on-line' dealers signed up just to get these turntables when they were scarce, but were not selling the complete Technics line-up. Technics is likely 'cleaning-up' the less serious ones and sticking with the real ones actually selling stuff. it's what i would do.

MikeHorns

Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles
I do like about Kuzma tables is you can put a outer ring on warped records but on technics tables you can't. I do like vacuum hold down but the ring is second best so I have heard.
You can definitely use a ring clamp on SP-10 or SP-10R. I use one on mine, and it fits perfectly. Ring Clamp for SP-10

The other thing is Technics are now made in Malaysia and not in Japan so how good will quality be?
Since it's the higher-end Technics, I believe you can still find Japanese-made SP-10R in the US. But one needs to act quickly before they are all sold off.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Can you move the arm board with the Technics arm to the back position, then buy a new arm board for the Kuma, or Graham or Thales arm, whatever you want to buy.

Personally, I used to have an outer ring on my VPI table. It is a total pita to use.

Buying an Orb record flattener was the best money I have ever spent on hifi. No such thing as warped or dished record now.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
So many SP-10 owners here, I have not heard from one Kuzma owner on this thread in regards to sound quality vs the Technics. Are Kuzma owners starting to disappear from this forum?

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012

Sure Mike , I would second that thought …the TT is fuzz free direct drive and cuts well above its class
this is what I did!….changed the technics tonearm as the primary one to the Durand tosca using it with an ortofon Anna diamond with Joel’s phono cable ……
Fair amount of redundancy and wastage !!…was planning to use the technics tone arm as the second tone arm with cheaper cartridge but was advised not too….said to be ?…may cause issues with the plinth resonance
Hey , don’t regret the adventure !….coming back to vinyl after 40years
sounds like listening to good music for me without distractions!!….enjoying every bit of it
only wish the vinyl reissues and heavy weights live up to the originals!
if I was to start again…SP 10r would be an ideal platform

Attachments

• 59190533-FA6C-4212-82AF-F600D7115A81.jpeg
    59190533-FA6C-4212-82AF-F600D7115A81.jpeg
    391.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 43A92A3B-8C4A-44B2-8EC0-88B4D849207C.jpeg
    43A92A3B-8C4A-44B2-8EC0-88B4D849207C.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 49
  • A7C8F4A7-AE76-490E-9579-41AEFE8DEFF5.jpeg
    A7C8F4A7-AE76-490E-9579-41AEFE8DEFF5.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 9B024FDA-D308-40B2-B30F-FE89041DBF03.jpeg
    9B024FDA-D308-40B2-B30F-FE89041DBF03.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 48

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Sure Mike , I would second that thought …the TT is fuzz free direct drive and cuts well above its class
this is what I did!….changed the technics tonearm as the primary one to the Durand tosca using it with an ortofon Anna diamond with Joel’s phono cable ……
Fair amount of redundancy and wastage !!…was planning to use the technics tone arm as the second tone arm with cheaper cartridge but was advised not too….said to be ?…may cause issues with the plinth resonance
Hey , don’t regret the adventure !….coming back to vinyl after 40years
sounds like listening to good music for me without distractions!!….enjoying every bit of it
only wish the vinyl reissues and heavy weights live up to the originals!
if I was to start again…SP 10r would be an ideal platform
Great turntable.

Reactions: Violetmachan

martin778

Oct 2, 2014
Yep, looks absolutely amazing. By the way, Technics has had a plant in Malaysia for about 20+ years already.

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
Yep, looks absolutely amazing. By the way, Technics has had a plant in Malaysia for about 20+ years already.
Apart from looking good it’s a excellent and robust TT
I presume whether it’s made in Japan or Malaysia the model must have a stringent protocol for production
I don’t think in this current era of manufacturing…you’ll get a truly one company device ….definitely there are exceptions with very esoteric products
Heard that the SP 10r are selling well ….but with a long wait time
Strange but true what the spinner can do!
add a customised tonearm ?
Add a esoteric cartridge ?
Add a new arm cable ?
Add new phono cables ?
Does definitively makes that small foot print spinner ,play even better music ….
Or Was it better to invest in a better quality package ?
Unfortunately every move comes with a risk warning!!…..

Attachments

• A691AB3E-475F-42CC-8F45-F9EA6A447A10.jpeg
    A691AB3E-475F-42CC-8F45-F9EA6A447A10.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: XV-1

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
That's turntable is better than my VPI Classic 3. I have compared them with the same cartridges : audio-technica Art-9.
The preamplifier are Esoteric E-03 and Accuphase C47.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing