TT upgrade, about time...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Wait til you guys hear a decent vintage Japanese DD table.
Your Rega and Linns will sit unplayed and unloved.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Great video, very insightful info, didn't know so much dedication goes into a Linn TT, considering it looks very plain and simple!

I am currently seeking some advice once again from the analog gurus...

One of my trusted mates, who actually used to work for the dealership I bought the RP8 from, was in recent contact. He asked me several questions about the set up of the RP8, and who had done the job, plus the fitting of the BM glider onto the RP8. I told him the necessary info, and this was his reply:

1. A 2mm "spacer" is required for the BM glider to perform at its optimum on the RP8, this allows the arm to be slightly lifted.

2. This spacer is a must and the person who didn't include one whiles setting up the BM glider is clueless about proper TT setup!

3. The whole arm needs to be dismantled, and the spacer fitted, then final tuning and finer adjustments are done by ear, not really according to the specs of the book, which is what the previous chap followed.

4. On final note, he claims once this is installed properly, and finer adjustments are made, there will be a dramatic improvement in the sound quality, such that the overall performance of the RP8 will increase by 50%!

Currently what I'm hearing is only half the potential...

Is this true?

I'm also starting to worry that if this chap dismantles the arm, I'm affraid my warranty will be void, simply because it's being done by a 3rd party...

What should I do?
RJ

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I used to work for a Rega dealer. The arm comes off with a few screws. I doubt it would ever be known "who" or "when" the arm was removed to add spacer(s).

The spacer is needed to adjust vta/sra as the Rega arm doesnt include any adjustment mechanism. This is an important setup parameter, so you really need to do it (at home or at your dealer wherever you're comfortable.). Question is one spacer the right amount?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ah I see...
I had a feeling that this was necessary and also seems like this chap really knows his stuff, unlike the Rega dealer chap who told me that the spacer is totally unnecessary.

OK, in that case will it also bring about a vast improvement in sound quality?

Another small question, my good mate won't be able to attend to this job until mid March. In the mean time is it safe to use the TT as it is or refrain from using it until the spacer is installed?

RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing