Troublesome 50Hz, 100Hz

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Iscangus has his corner traps and possibly do not have much of a probelm at 50hz as he used to. If he has he can add 2 of these where 50hz build up occurs at. For the rest of the people who can not cover corners, you can build these for specific problems at 30hz to 50hz and place accordingly. They look big but what they achieve in their size is incomparable;

Attachments

• basyutucuexploded.jpg
    basyutucuexploded.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 41
  • basstrap.jpeg
    basstrap.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 40

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
Iscangus has his corner traps and possibly do not have much of a probelm at 50hz as he used to. If he has he can add 2 of these where 50hz build up occurs at. For the rest of the people who can not cover corners, you can build these for specific problems at 30hz to 50hz and place accordingly. They look big but what they achieve in their size is incomparable;
That looks good! Can I have more info on the dimensions and materials of such device?

BBJ

May 9, 2020
Any information on these would be great. I have an ongoing issues under 50hz. I have treatment in my room, mostly treating 50-150Hz though. Was looking to build something that I could move to suit. It’s how I ended up here, looking for ideas. Thanks.

Reactions: kodomo

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
Any information on these would be great. I have an ongoing issues under 50hz. I have treatment in my room, mostly treating 50-150Hz though. Was looking to build something that I could move to suit. It’s how I ended up here, looking for ideas. Thanks.
Hi! The bass strap which I have built in this thread really does soak up the decay of the ultra low frequency a lot. I think you need to give it a go! I can give you more info if you need help!

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017

Yes, this is most efficient at 50hz which is something hardly find. However, I recommend this to be put at exactly at the relevant pressure points to benefit and accompany some corner traps which are more effective above this frequency unless they are very deep. You can calculate how deep they are depending on the material chosen, depth etc. Still, I suggest to the room and find inherent problems according to its physical dimensions. If you have the equipment, it would be very good to have some measurements as well.

This combo of corner traps and diaphragmatic absorbers is what Iscangus did in his room. If you send me your rooms plan with dimensions I can model it and let you know where you need to put these traps. I can also provide you with the plans to build the traps.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

IMHO in order to get any valid suggestion you should supply the dimensions and type of building of your room. Depending on materials and building techniques a wall can be either a bass absorber or a bass reflector!

BBJ

May 9, 2020
Hi! The bass strap which I have built in this thread really does soak up the decay of the ultra low frequency a lot. I think you need to give it a go! I can give you more info if you need help!
I would be grateful for more information Iscangus. Thank you. I currently have 6 Vicoustic superbass traps on the front wall, which I would be happy to move elsewhere. They have been OK. They claim 75Hz to 100Hz. Because I have a fair bit of treatment already in the room, I would need to make the face of new corner traps similar to Vicoustic, to achieve diffusion/absorption. I found Knauf Earthwool R-2.5 HD 90 x 430mm Soundshield batts locally. Is this the same as you ended up using?

Reactions: lscangus

BBJ

May 9, 2020
Yes, this is most efficient at 50hz which is something hardly find. However, I recommend this to be put at exactly at the relevant pressure points to benefit and accompany some corner traps which are more effective above this frequency unless they are very deep. You can calculate how deep they are depending on the material chosen, depth etc. Still, I suggest to the room and find inherent problems according to its physical dimensions. If you have the equipment, it would be very good to have some measurements as well.

This combo of corner traps and diaphragmatic absorbers is what Iscangus did in his room. If you send me your rooms plan with dimensions I can model it and let you know where you need to put these traps. I can also provide you with the plans to build the traps.
Thank you for responding Kodomo. Unfortunately I don't have any gear to measure the room. The room is a 5.62M (W) x 4.29M(D). The ceiling is pitched. It is 2.2M(H) where the front and back walls meets the ceiling and at the pitch of the roof it is 3.13M(H). The front wall is 5.62m. I converted a garage. Made of colorbond exterior, interior is timber and gyprock, with tiled floor on concrete slab. I have rugs on the floor. I have drawings and modelling Vicoustic did a few years ago that I can send you. It shows how the room was treated with their products. I recently bought more traps. I removed a sofa the other day, added 4 traps against the front wall. Not bad. I bought 8, but really didn't solve my problem, and started taking out the highs, so went to 4. Probably send them back though. Attaching a current pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2351.jpg
    IMG_2351.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2352.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 26

BBJ

May 9, 2020
Thank you for responding Kodomo. Unfortunately I don't have any gear to measure the room. The room is a 5.62M (W) x 4.29M(D). The ceiling is pitched. It is 2.2M(H) where the front and back walls meets the ceiling and at the pitch of the roof it is 3.13M(H). The front wall is 5.62m. I converted a garage. Made of colorbond exterior, interior is timber and gyprock, with tiled floor on concrete slab. I have rugs on the floor. I have drawings and modelling Vicoustic did a few years ago that I can send you. It shows how the room was treated with their products. I recently bought more traps. I removed a sofa the other day, added 4 traps against the front wall. Not bad. I bought 8, but really didn't solve my problem, and started taking out the highs, so went to 4. Probably send them back though. Attaching a current pics.

Attached are the drawings of current room treatment.

Attachments

• Room.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 12

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
According to this you can add 4 of the bass traps that is in discussion here and place them right at the middle of each wall.

However, for the first one, you have your rack there and I do not know if there is enough clearance to take it away from the front wall without hurting central image. I would suggest keeping your amps there, place this bass trap in between, and move the rack maybe to your left in between your listening seat and the cd racks.

It would be great if the second trap is behind you opposing the one we put where your rack is (if they are facing each other, they work better)

The same goes for third and fourth at the middle right and left wall. Place in the middle opposing each other.

This would certainly help with problems centering around 50hz if there are any. I would suggest for you to make sure via measurement that the problem you hear is this.

Reactions: lscangus

BBJ

May 9, 2020
Thanks for this. You mean the traps that you described above covering 30hz to 50hz? Can you let me know how to build these? I think I can bring the rack out from the wall OK. My cables are short, so don’t have much flexibility moving the rack too far to one side. Also, do you mean placing the other trap behind my sofa?
Would you suggest redoing the front corners the same as Iscangus has done?
Soaking up the decay of the ultra low frequencies as Iscangus describes is what this room really needs. The room sounds pretty good, but there are some more difficult recordings that make the bass hard to listen to.
Thanks kodomo.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
There is not much you can do effectively for really low frequencies of around 20hz unless you take drastic measures or build a specific trap for that frequency.

Iscangus's room corner traps are very effective and in a wider range than these traps but they are not as effective at 40-50hz, they are more effective higher up. These are specific traps for these low frequencies centered around 50hz.

I can pm you the plans if you think this works for you.

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
There is not much you can do effectively for really low frequencies of around 20hz unless you take drastic measures or build a specific trap for that frequency.

Iscangus's room corner traps are very effective and in a wider range than these traps but they are not as effective at 40-50hz, they are more effective higher up. These are specific traps for these low frequencies centered around 50hz.

I can pm you the plans if you think this works for you.

After the front super chunk bass trap, I am considering building 1 or 2 specific bass traps for the 20-22hz peak that I am having. I will post more measurements coming week!

BBJ

May 9, 2020
After the front super chunk bass trap, I am considering building 1 or 2 specific bass traps for the 20-22hz peak that I am having. I will post more measurements coming week!

I bought the batts yesterday. I bought these... https://pricewiseinsulation.com.au/..._pa_r-value=r2-7-shd-2&attribute_pa_width=580

Could not remove the Vicoustic bass trap, the glue they supply is like cement, so today I cut the gyprock around the bass traps. The Vicoustic bass trap]s are now in the back corners.

The room sounds great. Bass is more tuneful. It is cleaning up a bit lower than before, but as a broadband trap, they are excellent. More detail being enjoyed. Well worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2360.jpg
    IMG_2360.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2362.jpg
    IMG_2362.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 23

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
I bought the batts yesterday. I bought these... https://pricewiseinsulation.com.au/..._pa_r-value=r2-7-shd-2&attribute_pa_width=580

Could not remove the Vicoustic bass trap, the glue they supply is like cement, so today I cut the gyprock around the bass traps. The Vicoustic bass trap]s are now in the back corners.

The room sounds great. Bass is more tuneful. It is cleaning up a bit lower than before, but as a broadband trap, they are excellent. More detail being enjoyed. Well worth it.
Looking great! I am still tuning the bass trap and thinking may be doing the rear corners as well!!

Hows your room measurement looking?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing