Tripoint emperor : a breakthrough

Om

Kevin, trying to understand what you are actually saying. Do you mean that using an anti static gun in combination with a Tripoint Troy signature or emperor may cause damages? If so, damages to what? Could you please explain in more detail? Miguel sold a very large number of Troys all over the world and never one failed or caused any problems. So clearly the Tripoint devices are very stable and reliable (and built like a tank I can assure you after lifting the emperor and getting this 'beast' up and running into my system). So I suppose you are not referring to the Troy or emperor in particular but using anti static guns on binding post in general?

Audiocrack, Speedskater is being an alarmist. It is true that dac, memory, and other chips can be harmed by static charges, but these charges are typically from humans touching them. We are not well grounded because of rubber soles and wooden floors. One would not want to shoot a chip with the ZeroStat.

Frankly there is no way that using a ZeroStat on the Signature binding posts can do anything to sensitive parts, but you can hurt those parts. If you live in a very cold climate, you are likely to be dangerous to your components but there are simple grounding devices to help you, or you can merely wash your hands often, which will drain the charge.

What I mean:
a] Almost all the terminals & connectors on hi-fi components and AC power units when interconnected have a resistive path to the Safety Ground conductor which is connected to the power company Neutral which is connected to Mother Earth. So any static charge will quickly drain away. It's the moving human (or cat) that builds up the static charge that causes a spark.
b] Some integrated circuit inputs (both analog & digital) can be damaged or eventually destroyed by static. So use care when dealing with inputs or computer cards.
c] No, static should not damage any AC power connections.
d] The Soundstream type problem is covered in "The Art of Electronics" book, section 8.35 Congenital weaknesses of TTL and CMOS.

Thanks Kevin. I conclude that using an anti static gun with respect to the binding posts on the Tripoint Troy and emperor can do no harm.

Audiocrack, Speedskater is being an alarmist. It is true that dac, memory, and other chips can be harmed by static charges, but these charges are typically from humans touching them. We are not well grounded because of rubber soles and wooden floors. One would not want to shoot a chip with the ZeroStat.

Frankly there is no way that using a ZeroStat on the Signature binding posts can do anything to sensitive parts, but you can hurt those parts. If you live in a very cold climate, you are likely to be dangerous to your components but there are simple grounding devices to help you, or you can merely wash your hands often, which will drain the charge.

Thanks Norm. Miguel and you are of the same opinion: using an anti static gun with respect to the binding posts on the Tripoint Troy and emperor yields great benefits and will not damage anything. That is interesting and good news indeed for all Tripoint owners.

Thanks Norm. Miguel and you are of the same opinion: using an anti static gun with respect to the binding posts on the Tripoint Troy and emperor yields great benefits and will not damage anything. That is interesting and good news indeed for all Tripoint owners.

Audiocrack, having spent many hours in the past treating and avoiding static electrical charges and with much success in avoiding cables with any contact with the wood or carpet floor, I am frankly amazed at the benefit of the improvement with treating the Signature binding posts. Also having treated mine now ten times, I have no concerns about doing it with the system on and no question about its benefit and the realization that it lasts for about two days.

Audiocrack, having spent many hours in the past treating and avoiding static electrical charges and with much success in avoiding cables with any contact with the wood or carpet floor, I am frankly amazed at the benefit of the improvement with treating the Signature binding posts. Also having treated mine now ten times, I have no concerns about doing it with the system on and no question about its benefit and the realization that it lasts for about two days.

Thanks Norm. I am not used to employ anti static guns but the nice thing about having contact with an expert like Miguel and participating in a forum like this is that you are apparently never too old to learn. Appreciate your comments!

At this moment three Tripoint emperor grounding units exist in this world. The first was one was built for Audio Exotics in Hong Kong, the second one is being used by Miguel himself and I am (for now) the last person who has the good fortune to insert the emperor grounding (with serial number 3) in his system. I have been using it now for three weeks, while the two Thor se's grounding cables that I ordered with the emperor are at this moment in use for approximately two weeks. Although the latter are not played in yet, I clearly experience the Thor se's are getting better and better: more fluidiness and smoothness as well as more transparency and higher resolution.

Miguel informed me that his emperor took many months to fully stabilize. He makes often the comparison with wine: the older it gets, the better it tastes. So with my three weeks I am only at the very beginning of my emperor journey. But at this moment I am already quite sure of this: the emperor (in combination with the Thor se grounding cables) is a masterpiece. I have never experienced before in my audio life such an emotional connection with as well as involvement in the music. In one word: addictive.

In light of this it puzzles and intrigues me somewhat why in the very sophisticated high end scene of Hong Kong there seems to be so little attention for the musical accomplishments of the emperor. Rightly so AE contributed quite some attention to the Tripoint Troy but the emperor is barely mentioned (anymore). I fully understand that the emperor is (i) a massive device - although compared to my Genesis 1.1 loudspeakers all audio components look and actually are 'petite' - which makes placement in the (most of the time) small rooms in Hong Kong not that easy and (ii) a very expensive device. However, the latter seems not to be a real issue for the many well to do audiophiles in that part of the world, while you would expect that the former issue could in most cases somehow be solved if the willingness is there. So you start wondering whether AE is using the emperor as a 'secret weapon', that is to show the other audio components (belonging to their port folio) at their very best. Or am I so intoxicated with the performance of my system and the emperor lately that I am starting to hallucinate?

Last edited:
At this moment three Tripoint emperor grounding units exist in this world. The first was one was built for Audio Exotics in Hong Kong, the second one is being used by Miguel himself and I am (for now) the last person who has the good fortune to insert the emperor grounding (with serial number 3) in his system. I have been using it now for three weeks, while the two Thor se's grounding cables that I ordered with the emperor are at this moment in use for approximately two weeks. Although the latter are not played in yet, I clearly experience the Thor se's are getting better and better: more fluidiness and smoothness as well as more transparency and higher resolution.

Miguel informed me that his emperor took many months to fully stabilize. He makes often the comparison with wine: the older it gets, the better it tastes. So with my three weeks I am only at the very beginning of my emperor journey. But at this moment I am already quite sure of this: the emperor (in combination with the Thor se grounding cables) is a masterpiece. I have never experienced before in my audio life such an emotional connection with as well as involvement in the music. In one word: addictive.

In light of this it puzzles and intrigues me somewhat why in the very sophisticated high end scene of Hong Kong there seems to be so little attention for the musical accomplishments of the emperor. Rightly so AE contributed quite some attention to the Tripoint Troy but the emperor is barely mentioned (anymore). I fully understand that the emperor is (i) a massive device - although compared to my Genesis 1.1 loudspeakers all audio components look and actually are 'petite' - which makes placement in the (most of the time) small rooms in Hong Kong not that easy and (ii) a very expensive device. However, the latter seems not to be a real issue for the many well to do audiophiles in that part of the world, while you would expect that the former issue could in most cases somehow be solved if the willingness is there. So you start wondering whether AE is using the emperor as a 'secret weapon', that is to show the other audio components (belonging to their port folio) at their very best. Or am I so intoxicated with the performance of my system and the emperor lately that I am starting to hallucinate?

I think you're right on the money audiocrack. The Emperor is AE's secret sauce.....

Audiocrack, Miguel was over this weekend and we put grounding posts on both of my BMC M2 monoblocks and on the BMC MCCI phono stage. I had been using a chassis screw. All of this was to connect the units to the Troy Signature. The end result is that everything, whether vinyl or digital, is outstanding and vinyl is king. I should say that I think his materials are key to what you get from having direct connections to the grounding post.

And finally I should note that I have two days of breakin on them. They have greatly improved each day. Although no EE graduate will agree, polishing and quality grounding are very essential to quality reproduction of music. Last night I sat a listened to vinyl all night with the music having my entire attention. Ella has never been better and I was right there.

Audiocrack, Miguel was over this weekend and we put grounding posts on both of my BMC M2 monoblocks and on the BMC MCCI phono stage. I had been using a chassis screw. All of this was to connect the units to the Troy Signature. The end result is that everything, whether vinyl or digital, is outstanding and vinyl is king. I should say that I think his materials are key to what you get from having direct connections to the grounding post.

And finally I should note that I have two days of breakin on them. They have greatly improved each day. Although no EE graduate will agree, polishing and quality grounding are very essential to quality reproduction of music. Last night I sat a listened to vinyl all night with the music having my entire attention. Ella has never been better and I was right there.

Thanks very much for the update. So are you actually saying that using chassis screws is fine, but using a separate or dedicated grounding post on the amps yield clearly better results? Is it possible for you to describe in what way the dedicated grounding post betters the musical reproduction? And can you mayby attribute a certain percentage to how big a step you made forward?

Asking all this because I have been talking with Miguel about him adding dedicated grounding posts to my Kondo Kaguoh power amps but I am still somewhat hesitant. Not because I do not trust Miguel's skills - he knows exactly what he is doing and has such an incredible eye for small details - but sort of changing the original concept of a component makes you wonder: is this what Kondo San had in mind when he created the amps or would he have approved the change once he had heard it? But maybe I am just to cautious in this regard?

Thanks very much for the update. So are you actually saying that using chassis screws is fine, but using a separate or dedicated grounding post on the amps yield clearly better results? Is it possible for you to describe in what way the dedicated grounding post betters the musical reproduction? And can you mayby attribute a certain percentage to how big a step you made forward?

Asking all this because I have been talking with Miguel about him adding dedicated grounding posts to my Kondo Kaguoh power amps but I am still somewhat hesitant. Not because I do not trust Miguel's skills - he knows exactly what he is doing and has such an incredible eye for small details - but sort of changing the original concept of a component makes you wonder: is this what Kondo San had in mind when he created the amps or would he have approved the change once he had heard it? But maybe I am just to cautious in this regard?

And I totally forgot to mention: I am planning with Miguel to get him over to Europe and let him listen to the emperor in my (tubed) system. Like to hear from him how he thinks his masterpiece is doing in combination with tubes because his ( as well as your) system is based on solid state amplification. Off course he listened to the Zanden Chouku (tube) amps with the emperor in Hong Kong but that was under show conditions. When he visits me, he is willing to help me out if I decide to install separate grounding posts on my Kondo amps.

Thanks very much for the update. So are you actually saying that using chassis screws is fine, but using a separate or dedicated grounding post on the amps yield clearly better results? Is it possible for you to describe in what way the dedicated grounding post betters the musical reproduction? And can you mayby attribute a certain percentage to how big a step you made forward? Miguel argues and I would have to concur that even though the meter indicates continuity between the chassis and the circuit board, the direct connection using Miguel's wire and the Cardas solid copper binding posts.

I should also note that a guy has alerted me that a manufacturer might cancel your warrantee, as a result of the Alteration. I really have no intention to sell my BMC M2 amps, so that is not a real issue for me.

I should also note that a guy has alerted me that a manufacturer might cancel your warrantee, as a result of the Alteration. I really have no intention to sell my BMC M2 amps, so that is not a real issue for me.

Thanks. I suppose in the end it all depends on how much a difference for the better it makes. Is it possible to share your listening experiences with us after Miguel's alterations to your power amps? Miguel will visit me this year to hear his emperor in a tube based system so I am considering seriously a grounding update/alteration.

Thanks. I suppose in the end it all depends on how much a difference for the better it makes. Is it possible to share your listening experiences with us after Miguel's alterations to your power amps? Miguel will visit me this year to hear his emperor in a tube based system so I am considering seriously a grounding update/alteration.

What I really need to note is that I cannot say is how important the High Fidelity Cables (both the ics, speaker wires, and power cords) matter in this, or the Star Sound Apprentice platforms and Stillpoints Ultras and Racks, or the Zilplex room treatments. I should not also that obviously the binding posts are connected to the Troy Signature and also used the Tripoint Thor SE grounding cords. But the before and after were quite different. Keys to this, I think, were the ease, the precision on the sound stage, the sharply reduced noise, and the decay of notes and ambience of the halls. Basically, every recording was more vivid. Sometimes this was disconcerting as the various performers in "The Girl from Ipanema" on Getz/Gilberto are on different sound stages which disturbs the mind. Realism, I think, captures what I'm talking about. On the day after we had done the BMC M2 mono blocks, I just sat there in disbelief and happiness with the impact of the better grounding. I should also note that there is probably much brake-in that will add more thrills.

What I really regret is that manufactures believe that continuity is continuity. Since there was already continuity between the power supply board and the circuity board and the chassis, these mods really just provide better continuity.

What I really need to note is that I cannot say is how important the High Fidelity Cables (both the ics, speaker wires, and power cords) matter in this, or the Star Sound Apprentice platforms and Stillpoints Ultras and Racks, or the Zilplex room treatments. I should not also that obviously the binding posts are connected to the Troy Signature and also used the Tripoint Thor SE grounding cords. But the before and after were quite different. Keys to this, I think, were the ease, the precision on the sound stage, the sharply reduced noise, and the decay of notes and ambience of the halls. Basically, every recording was more vivid. Sometimes this was disconcerting as the various performers in "The Girl from Ipanema" on Getz/Gilberto are on different sound stages which disturbs the mind. Realism, I think, captures what I'm talking about. On the day after we had done the BMC M2 mono blocks, I just sat there in disbelief and happiness with the impact of the better grounding. I should also note that there is probably much brake-in that will add more thrills.

What I really regret is that manufactures believe that continuity is continuity. Since there was already continuity between the power supply board and the circuity board and the chassis, these mods really just provide better continuity.

Well this sounds as that you made a big step forward. Talked at length with Miguel yesterday evening and he informed me that the alterations to your BMC power amps made such a huge difference he altered his own BMC power amps in the same way. He was very impressed by the performance of your system and enjoyed his stay inmensely. Please let us know whether more playing hours will yield even better results. But for now I guess enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
Well this sounds as that you made a big step forward. Talked at length with Miguel yesterday evening and he informed me that the alterations to your BMC power amps made such a huge difference he altered his own BMC power amps in the same way. He was very impressed by the performance of your system and enjoyed his stay inmensely. Please let us know whether more playing hours will yield even better results. But for now I guess enjoy yourself.

Audiocrack, all that I can really say is that the sound is improving and that this is far beyond anything I would ever hear in music reproduction, but everything is fragile and that some of what is revealed is disconcerting as I said in my posting. My zapping of the terminals on the Signature have their best benefit the day after I zap and that lasts for at most two days. I can also hear when my stylus is dirty or when one of my amps is not fully warmed up. But when all is right; wow!

I wish you and Eli were nearby. I have a friend driving down from Nashville next weekend to hear this and to get some tubes I got for him.

Audiocrack, all that I can really say is that the sound is improving and that this is far beyond anything I would ever hear in music reproduction, but everything is fragile and that some of what is revealed is disconcerting as I said in my posting. My zapping of the terminals on the Signature have their best benefit the day after I zap and that lasts for at most two days. I can also hear when my stylus is dirty or when one of my amps is not fully warmed up. But when all is right; wow!

I wish you and Eli were nearby. I have a friend driving down from Nashville next weekend to hear this and to get some tubes I got for him.

TBG, I fully recognize what you are saying. I find it very frustrating that one day you feel that you are living in 'audio heaven' and the next day the magic is somehow gone. Small things, that is things that at first sight seem not that important, can (indeed) make a big difference. However, how many people can say that they actually experienced 'audio heaven'? From that perspective you are a lucky audiophile I guess, notwithstanding the fragility you mentioned. I always make a comparison with Parcival's quest: we are searching for the (audio) holy grail, but only very few will actually find it. Have a nice weekend.

Last edited:
Audiocrack, I put my thoughts almost exactly as you do. But it has a somewhat different impact if you are a reviewer. How can I review anything if few, if anyone else will hear a component as I am? What I really need is two systems, as I think you have with one only for reviewing and never listened to other than for that. I don't have room for this and certainly don't want another system screwing up my main system.

I think I have found the holy grail, but in the 1970s when I had Infinity ServoStatics and Audio Research SP-3, a Dual 75, and a Dual 51, I thought I had also. This time, however, I wonder about going further somehow. Already I take fault with microphone placements, being asleep at the control panel, and recording in too dissimilar rooms and putting the performers together on the album.

But yes, I am a happy man.

Audiocrack, I put my thoughts almost exactly as you do. But it has a somewhat different impact if you are a reviewer. How can I review anything if few, if anyone else will hear a component as I am? What I really need is two systems, as I think you have with one only for reviewing and never listened to other than for that. I don't have room for this and certainly don't want another system screwing up my main system.

I think I have found the holy grail, but in the 1970s when I had Infinity ServoStatics and Audio Research SP-3, a Dual 75, and a Dual 51, I thought I had also. This time, however, I wonder about going further somehow. Already I take fault with microphone placements, being asleep at the control panel, and recording in too dissimilar rooms and putting the performers together on the album.

But yes, I am a happy man.

I understand your problem as a reviewer. A lot of audiophiles are (very) sceptical about the concept grounding. Because I am (pretty) sure those who are sceptical have not heard the current Tripoint products like the Troy signature or Thor se (let alone the emperor), they indeed do not know what they miss. Offcourse they cannot hear what you are hearing, that is bringing out the very best out of the audio components through grounding. So yes, that creates a problem for you in your role as reviewer. That said, I am (still) amazed about how many Tripoint 'boxes' Miguel has sold so far. So the community of Tripoint users is growing and so more and more audiophiles have a clue what you are experiencing (although I fully understand that it is not only the Tripoint products you are referring to but the whole system and the synergy you have been able to achieve).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing