Tres Amigos Visit The Pacific Northwest For A Weekend Of Listening Bliss

Marty,

Great write up!

Glad I had a chance to see the trophy before the purge.

Did Mike demonstrate his Entreq Poseidon's galvanically isolated middle box?

I'm not sure what the middle box refers to but Mike had two Entreqs. He also had another device called a 'Troy". You know, when something isn't right, you look around and you ask yourself "could this be why", etc. When I was at Mike's, because the sound was so good, I kept looking around asking the converse. "Could this be why it sounds so good?" was firing in my brain nonstop as I mentally poining to a lot of things, but that Troy box really did intrigue me. I've never been an advocate of the whole grounding device overkill thing as I always assumed that if your system is dead quiet, you probably won't benefit from their use, but hey, what do I know? It's definitely got me asking questions.

I'm not sure what the middle box refers to but Mike had two Entreqs. He also had another device called a 'Troy". You know, when something isn't right, you look around and you ask yourself "could this be why", etc. When I was at Mike's, because the sound was so good, I kept looking around asking the converse. "Could this be why it sounds so good?" was firing in my brain nonstop as I mentally poining to a lot of things, but that Troy box really did intrigue me. I've never been an advocate of the whole grounding device overkill thing as I always assumed that if your system is dead quiet, you probably won't benefit from their use, but hey, what do I know? It's definitely got me asking questions.

Marty,

again, many thanks for all wonderful stuff you have written about the visit. it was such an enjoyable evening.

the Entreq Poseidon has three electrically separate boxes in one large enclosure, so it can be used with negative speaker cable amplifier outputs (how I'm using it).....among other uses. in my Poseidon I use the outside boxes for the right and left channel negative speaker cable grounding, and the middle box for my bass tower amplifier chassis grounding (both sides).

a few weeks ago Dan pointed out to me that I had revealed my techie ignorance by miss using the term 'galvanically isolated' when referring to the design of the Poseidon. he was right and I was wrong and I suppose I should be more careful when venturing into technical terms where I'm parroting a term instead of really understanding it. his comment was a back handed stab at me, well deserved by me I guess.

hence my 'smile' as my reaction.

Last edited:
Mike,

As a long-time follower of your audio journey, I applaud your dedication to the art. Thanks for your continual sharing of the steps (forward and backward) that have accompanied this process. Someday I hope to be able to visit in person.

Regards,

Lee

(...) ONE AMIGO RETURNS TO SEATTLE TO HEAR MIKE LAVIGNE’S SYSTEM. (...)

Great report Marty. Your post make me remember that long years ago many audiophiles and I spend enjoyable and enriching moments reading and participating in the system threads most of the time around three great audio systems at audiogon - Mike, Steve and Albert Porter ones (my apologies for those I am not referring) . IMHO your post is written exactly with the tone and genie of these glorious days. Nice to know that WBF is keeping the flame!

Marty,

again, many thanks for all wonderful stuff you have written about the visit. it was such an enjoyable evening.

the Entreq Poseidon has three electrically separate boxes in one large enclosure, so it can be used with negative speaker cable amplifier outputs (how I'm using it).....among other uses. in my Poseidon I use the outside boxes for the right and left channel negative speaker cable grounding, and the middle box for my bass tower amplifier chassis grounding (both sides).

a few weeks ago Dan pointed out to me that I had revealed my techie ignorance by miss using the term 'galvanically isolated' when referring to the design of the Poseidon. he was right and I was wrong and I suppose I should be more careful when venturing into technical terms where I'm parroting a term instead of really understanding it. his comment was a back handed stab at me, well deserved by me I guess.

hence my 'smile' as my reaction.

Back handed for sure . The misnomer was pointed out and should have been laid to rest , but then maybe some light hearted ribbing ....

All amigos, Thank you great read.
Steve, any thoughts on the CGS grounding cable

I did have some issues with it and discussed it both here as well as with Caelin. Others here have reported more significant audible differences. The Triton V2 itself is a remarkable piece of equipment. I seem to remember a post I made that just whenI thought the V1 was perfect how could he make it any better. But Caelin did indeed. There are many happy and devoted Shunyata users here. It was gratifying for me that Caelin's products have found their way into the medical field and specifically imaging devices of the heart for cardiologists. These findings, one would have to admit, adds credence to the science behind his PC's.

I did have some issues with it and discussed it both here as well as with Caelin. Others here have reported more significant audible differences. The Triton V2 itself is a remarkable piece of equipment. I seem to remember a post I made that just whenI thought the V1 was perfect how could he make it any better. But Caelin did indeed. There are many happy and devoted Shunyata users here. It was gratifying for me that Caelin's products have found their way into the medical field and specifically imaging devices of the heart for cardiologists. These findings, one would have to admit, adds credence to the science behind his PC's.

Thanks Steve,

Years back I tried the original Anaconda and didn't care for it on my Joule 100 type3 preamp.I now use Stealth.Trying to weave my way through all the Entreq and unaffordable (to me) Tripoint grounding products I thought I would revisit Shunyata.
I also have DYI hand written by Bill Ying instructions for a Shun Mook ground.So one can say I'm still up in the air and not grounded

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing