Transitioning from Electrostatics???

russe41

Dec 6, 2016
Krell dog,Im 30 miles southwest in Valley city Ohio.
There is Don Better Audio,never been there but always wanted to go, looks like some nice
stuff he sells, may be by app only not sure. He sells DeVore, Auditorium, Focal, Manger, Vandersteen among others.
https://donbetteraudio.com/loudspeakers/

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
So how would a pair of MBL fit in with this discussion? Obviously the need for high power/current is there, but wrt transparency in the mid/high freq. as well as overall performance. Perhaps the similarly priced 120 or 126?

Reactions: Lagonda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One area where electrostats & ribbons excel is the human voice...
If moving away from them to cones you should make sure there is no crossover in the 300 - 3000
That will narrow the field considerably - though - I would consider the Vandersteen Carbon 5 which is 600 - 5000
At the other end of the spectrum I would also consider Natural Sound Samurai speakers 250 - 2500 (picture below)
My gut tells me these SHOULD sound sensational to an electrostats & ribbon owner looking for a change
My ribbons crossover from bass drivers @ 420 then go all the way to 18000

Natural sound speakers, AN-J M10 preamp, S9 step up, AN Kegon 300b with western electric reissues, Electrocompaniet used to Biamp the woofers below 250 HZ, and finally subs below 75. Koetsu rosewood platinum signature cartridge

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Competition is a wonderful thing. If you get beat you can either change or go home. the question how much time and resources are you willing to commit.
You can get 90-95 % of what you get from elctrostatic in a conventional speaker. The question is at what level of commitment. What made me fall in love with the Martub Logan CLS 1 was it was a real world product that was obtainable by the average guy.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I have been listening to Martin Logans for the the last 15 years. I have worked my way up the ladder to my current martin Logan Montis's.

I have no issues with them...in fact I love how they sound. However like all audio junkies..i'm bored and considering a change.

I'm considering Focal Sopra No.2 or maybe Focal Sopra No.3's. I'm also considering Magico A 3's.

I'm open to all thoughts and opinions. If I switch to a non Electrostatic...what should I expect-good and bad.

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

BTW-Current associated gear include- Pass Int 60-----VPI Prime Signature---Ortofon Cadenza Bronze----Plinius Koru Phono Pre----Yiggy Dac----Audience Cabling
Try to listen to speakers than have an AMT tweeter. Super fast and incredible detail. it solved things for me. I had Maggie 20.7 and loved that wall of music but wanted more punch. I really liked the ML 15a, plenty of bass and you likely can get a deal on them. I also liked the Duo XD too which to me had excellent bass, but at 2x the price.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You can get 90-95 % of what you get from elctrostatic in a conventional speaker.

Seeking that last 5% to 10% is why I love electrostatic drivers and ribbon drivers for vocals.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Seeking that last 5% to 10% is why I love electrostatic drivers and ribbon drivers for vocals.
preaching to the choir bro.
electrostat advantages
1line source
Dipole
Speed/transient response
bass coherence
lack of box coloration

Reactions: Ron Resnick

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I shared your opinion until I listened to the WAMMs. They were more transparent in the vocals than any Quad, Martin Logan or SoundLab I have listened. I regognize a lot better than the XLF's in this aspect. Unfortunately our distributor has not demoed the XVX yet.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I shared your opinion until I listened to the WAMMs. They were more transparent in the vocals than any Quad, Martin Logan or SoundLab I have listened. I regognize a lot better than the XLF's in this aspect. Unfortunately our distributor has not demoed the XVX yet.

I can almost believe it, given how much I like the XVX.

You will enjoy vocals more on the XVX than you do on the WAMMS. I don’t understand it, but there is some secret sauce in the XVX’s midrange driver (which the Alexx V inherited).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing