Tonearm for Ortofon SPU-A cartridge

jeannyp

Dec 2, 2020
Hello, I am seeking your recommendation for a modern tonearm for my Ortofon SPU Royal A cartridge.

I have been using it with a vintage Ortofon RF-297 and want to try a modern tonearm. I understand the Groovemaster II can be ordered for Ortofon SPU-A cartridges. Can the Sorane TA-1L with a sliding base work for the Ortofon SPU-A?

Thanks in advance for your recommendation!

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Hello, I am seeking your recommendation for a modern tonearm for my Ortofon SPU Royal A cartridge.

I have been using it with a vintage Ortofon RF-297 and want to try a modern tonearm. I understand the Groovemaster II can be ordered for Ortofon SPU-A cartridges. Can the Sorane TA-1L with a sliding base work for the Ortofon SPU-A?

Thanks in advance for your recommendation!
Yes. If you want to use the TA-1L, you have two options:

1. Buy a Ortofon APJ-1 adaptor (https://www.ortofon.com/apj-1-adaptor-for-spu-a-houses-p-582) which allows an A-mount SPU to be used on regular arms like the TA-1L designed for 50-52mm mounting collar to stylus distance. The 6 gram weight of the adaptor will increase the effective mass of the arm by that amount, but shouldn’t be much of an issue with the low compliance Royal.

2. Move the TA-1L closer to the spindle to compensate for the 21.5mm difference in mounting collar-to-stylus distance between A-mount and G-mount SPU. The correct amount is determined by some fairly simple geometry. You end up basically with the arm having a new effective length as well as offset angle. This is how I run the SPU Wood A on my Ortofon RS-309D tonearm.

If you want to try option 2, I will be happy to give you the optimum pivot-to-spindle distance and overhang. I would need to know the effective length of the TA-1L and its offset angle.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeannyp and jespera

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I haven't any experience with the Bokrand resto-mod arms...but I would prefer a Groovemaster vs Schick in this instance. ( there are places the Schick would be my preference but, for me, not this one ).

Reactions: McDee275

jeannyp

Dec 2, 2020
Yes. If you want to use the TA-1L, you have two options:

1. Buy a Ortofon APJ-1 adaptor (https://www.ortofon.com/apj-1-adaptor-for-spu-a-houses-p-582) which allows an A-mount SPU to be used on regular arms like the TA-1L designed for 50-52mm mounting collar to stylus distance. The 6 gram weight of the adaptor will increase the effective mass of the arm by that amount, but shouldn’t be much of an issue with the low compliance Royal.

2. Move the TA-1L closer to the spindle to compensate for the 21.5mm difference in mounting collar-to-stylus distance between A-mount and G-mount SPU. The correct amount is determined by some fairly simple geometry. You end up basically with the arm having a new effective length as well as offset angle. This is how I run the SPU Wood A on my Ortofon RS-309D tonearm.

If you want to try option 2, I will be happy to give you the optimum pivot-to-spindle distance and overhang. I would need to know the effective length of the TA-1L and its offset angle.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have the APJ-1 adapter, but think #2 may be better because using an adapter might degrade the sound. Do you know the general sound charateristic of the Sorane TA-1L? Even though I'd like to try a modern tonearm, I still would like to have warm/full/big sound. Thanks!

jeannyp

Dec 2, 2020
I haven't any experience with the Bokrand resto-mod arms...but I would prefer a Groovemaster vs Schick in this instance. ( there are places the Schick would be my preference but, for me, not this one ).
I like warm/full/big sound in my analog reproduction and always thought the Schick sounds warmer and fuller than the GM, which is more cleaner and detailed.

Reactions: Solypsa

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Thanks for the suggestions. I have the APJ-1 adapter, but think #2 may be better because using an adapter might degrade the sound. Do you know the general sound charateristic of the Sorane TA-1L? Even though I'd like to try a modern tonearm, I still would like to have warm/full/big sound. Thanks!
Sorry, I’m not familiar with the TA-1L but I’m sure the basic full sound of the SPU will be evident regardless of the arm you use.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The Sorane TA-1 and TA-1L do work very nice with SPU.

Reactions: jeannyp

jeannyp

Dec 2, 2020
I can see that you have the TA-1L. Which cartridge do you use with the TA-1L?

I also see that you have the Glanz MH-124s. I cannot afford the MH-124s, but was wondering if you are familiar with the entry model, MH-10B?

Thanks!

Reactions: Solypsa

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
In what sense, do you like the Bokrand for the SPU better than the other two? Does it sound fuller/warmer or cleaner/detailed? Thanks!

Both directions. More refined and more musical. My ranking and characteristics are:

bokrand: detailed, natural, sweet, well balanced
>
groovemaster: detailed but unengaging
>
schick: solid but coarse sounding

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Bokrand is of course not a product but a restoration no?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
maybe a new Jelco?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Btw does anyone have FR64/66S experience with SPU? I don't although I use one with FR7 regularly. Something tells me that could be fun..

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Use a modified Ortofon RF-297 with my SPUA--they are available on the S/H market for a reasonable price

Would be in my quest--I appreciate the synergy with the two of the same brand.

Good luck

BruceD
_MG_8906 V1.jpg

Reactions: jespera

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
seeking your recommendation for a modern tonearm for my Ortofon SPU Royal A cartridge.
Thank you for this question have been wanting to read on this for a while. Looked at a schick and a woody and became to difficult without hearing.

bokrand: detailed, natural, sweet, well balanced
Gave up the trauma and just bought a Bokrand on line. Easier on the synergy level for me being an Ortofon arm once with an Ortofon cart. Also as it will be my first venture into SPU territory, eventually to be able to listen to some older recordings.

Reactions: jespera

tartanhorde

Fleetwood Sound Owners Group
May 5, 2021
Hi, I am researching my options for a 12" tonearm for a Thorens TD124 restoration and have narrowed the decision to the Sorane TA-1L or the Groovemaster II. I see you have the Sorane, and just wondering if you have any experience with the GM, and if so how they compare? And should I be considering the Woody as well? Thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing