Tom Danley's Hyperion speaker is announced

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
From the Tom Danley Signature Series.
I do not know the price yet, but I am sure I will order one as soon as it is available. :) Even if I have to sell my soul and kidney.

Speaker type | 4-Way Powered

Tweeter | 1” Polyester / Neodymium / Kapton

Midrange | 5” Treated Paper / Neodymium / Kapton

Woofer | 2x 8” Treated Paper / Neodymium

Subwoofer | 2x 15” Long Excursion

Frequency Response | 14Hz-23.7KHz

Crossover Frequency | 2kHz / 260Hz / 45Hz

Total Amplifier Power | 3000 Watt

Bass Amplifier | 1500 Watt

Low Amplifier | 750 Watt

Mid/High Amplifier | 400 Watt

Inputs | XLR

Cabinet finishes | TBA

Height | 45” (115 cm)

Net weight (each) |195 lbs (88 kg)

Hyperion-image.png 157946442_2053259621483098_3314773651993780328_o.png Hyperion-FR-wt.png

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Do I remember correctly that you already use synergy horns?

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Do I remember correctly that you already use synergy horns?
Yes, since 2006. :)

I changed my Avantgarde Trio to a pair of Danley SH50 and was using dozen of different Danley speakers at home and for PA as well. I have a Go2 8 CX and an active Studio 2 at the moment. Studio 2 is a similar idea as the Hyperion. A coax 2-way Studio 1 ( Hyperion is a 3 way SM60F) plus a 10 inch DSP crossed sub (the Hyperion has a dual 15-inch sub). So the Hyperion is the cost no object version of Studio 2 (at least s I see it, I am not sure Danley would agree in my description).

You can see my Studio 2 in the photo below while we were measuring it in late January when I got it. It is very difficult to imagine how the Hyperion can be better than Studio 2 as it is just perfect for my taste and system and room.

Attachments

• danley_studio-2_measurement_photo_v1.JPEG
    danley_studio-2_measurement_photo_v1.JPEG
    290.4 KB · Views: 41

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Hyperion appears to use the same disperion control topology as Synergy Horn, this is a difference from Studio 2 no?

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Hyperion appears to use the same disperion control topology as Synergy Horn, this is a difference from Studio 2 no?
Yes.

The upper 3 way part of the speaker is generally (a fine-tuned) SM60F without its molded chassis from the affordable SM series (at least as I see it, I have no more info, only what is on the website). The SH series is more expensive generally than the SM series.

The Studio 2 is based on the 6.5-inch coax of the Studio 1. However, the Studio 2 was the first Danley speaker where they combined an existing wideband speaker with an extra DSP crossed sub in the same box. So from this point of view, the Hyperion is the big brother of the Studio 2.

The dispersion of the Hyperion can be 60 x 60 degrees like the SM60F.

Last edited:

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
The other similarity between the Hyperion and Studio 2 that the mid/tweeter is driven with an amp channel, which means there is a passive crossover between the mid/tweeter at 2kHz and there is a DSP for the two other crossover points at 260Hz / 45Hz.

It is very unusual to use an 8-inch woofer down to 45 Hz and then a double 15 inch from this point down, but if there is anybody to really understand how a subwoofer should be used in a specific configuration, it is Tom Danley.

All in all, it is a very exciting product with a very innovative approach to building a compact but very wide bandwidth speaker.

It should be on the same level (soundwise hopefully not price wise) where the Meyer Bluehorn is or where a fully optioned sub-extended Kii can be but on an even more phase coherent and more lively way.

Reactions: Solypsa

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Yes exciting. For someone with room having a swarm type sub install might be better vis a vis room nodes but for a more 'normal' speaker this appears really smart. Not surprising...

Reactions: ferenc_k

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Yes exciting. For someone with room having a swarm type sub install might be better vis a vis room nodes but for a more 'normal' speaker this appears really smart. Not surprising...
Yes, you are right. The Studio 2 is not really sensitive where you put it. At least according to my experience. The Go2 is even less sensitive. Because of their very tight pattern control, and phase response, it is easier to find the right position for your speaker and for your listening position at home. Below 200 Hz it will be challenging of course, but actually, it is the case for most of the similar or bigger size speakers.

However, depending on the yet unknown internal DSP solution you may have a chance to fine-tune the bass response a bit. You can use the Mini DSP app for this purpose in case of the Studio 2, which has Mini DSP amp inside. I did not need it but one can do it.

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Using the Danley Hyperion (now called HRE) active speaker prototype for our Gabor Juhasz Trio: Planets live studio-recorded DXD/DSD jazz album presentation last weekend in Budapest. In the same studio where it was recorded. We could compare different versions of the recording to the live music too, but we presented a few tracks from R2R tape and a version mixed and mastered for streaming.

It was really exciting as the Danley HREs provided exactly the same volume as it was while we were recording the music (we measured it then). The D/As were Merging Anubis and Rockna Wavedream Signature.

More Danley HRE demos will be organized in the next few weeks in Budapest if any of you are interested.

IMG_4359.jpeg

Reactions: Töki and rob

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Using the Danley Hyperion (now called HRE) active speaker prototype for our Gabor Juhasz Trio: Planets live studio-recorded DXD/DSD jazz album presentation last weekend in Budapest. In the same studio where it was recorded. We could compare different versions of the recording to the live music too, but we presented a few tracks from R2R tape and a version mixed and mastered for streaming.

It was really exciting as the Danley HREs provided exactly the same volume as it was while we were recording the music (we measured it then). The D/As were Merging Anubis and Rockna Wavedream Signature.

More Danley HRE demos will be organized in the next few weeks in Budapest if any of you are interested.
IMG_4347.jpeg

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
I found the video below to be informative and entertaining. Mr. Danley gives a very clear explanation of the Synergy horn.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing