tima's DIY RCM

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I though I ordered a complete machine. The stand with motor, rack, spindle and pucks. All I got was the spindle with pucks and a stand to put the spindle in to dry the records. I have my own ultrasonic. I still have a slow motor used to make fishing rods that has been used to spin the records in the past. I was not going to purchase the Kuzma as I figured $1400 for a motor was a lot. The pumps and filter are the real trick to this project.

What did you order and from whom? It's not clear if you ordered the RD product or just a spindle and pucks.

Like I noted, read my first article already referenced in post #1; that should give you an understanding of the basic architecture - actually I suggest you read all three articles. Article 1 shows the complete RD and assembly. Plenty of pictures. Simple to put together. Then, come back here and I can point you to the parts list (above) for the pump and filter which are newer than those in my write-ups. Pump and filter are pretty simple.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Yes, I agree - the topic of record cleaning is interesting. We are still in the learning and discovery phase.

I don't know if there is logic here or not: if you don't use IPA, you don't need L'Art du Son? L'Art is an additive.

If you rinse the record there should be no surfactant on it. Ilfotol does not bind to vinyl.

If you use a vacuum style machine, you might want to consider AIVS products:

Just to be crystal clear, I use an Elmasonic P120 for cleaning, pretty much exactly as Don does. The P120 means I can clean 4 at a time.
The vacuum style machine is just used for drying and applying the L'Art rinse cycle, again as discussed by Don. I prefer the sound of a record rinsed and vacuum dried to one not rinsed and air dried. Its much more convenient as well!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Just to be crystal clear, I use an Elmasonic P120 for cleaning, pretty much exactly as Don does. The P120 means I can clean 4 at a time.
The vacuum style machine is just used for drying and applying the L'Art rinse cycle, again as discussed by Don. I prefer the sound of a record rinsed and vacuum dried to one not rinsed and air dried. Its much more convenient as well!

Thanks for the explanation.

Do you do a rinse after applying the L'Art du Son?

I rinse in a S120H after cleaning in the P120H using distilled water. It is easy to move the spindle of records from wash tank to rinse tank. Then I keep the records on the spindle to dry which takes ~20-25 minutes

I also have a Loricraft PRC 3 that I used for many years. It worked well but it was a bit messy and took a fair amount of time of each record. I"ll guess that using it primarily for drying is quicker.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
"Do you do a rinse after applying the L'Art du Son?"
No, the final rinse after US cleaning for 45 minutes is the L'Art du Son at 1:172 dilution. IMO, lower dilutions (say 1:150) tend to add soundstage but be less accurate.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I though I ordered a complete machine. The stand with motor, rack, spindle and pucks. All I got was the spindle with pucks and a stand to put the spindle in to dry the records. I have my own ultrasonic. I still have a slow motor used to make fishing rods that has been used to spin the records in the past. I was not going to purchase the Kuzma as I figured $1400 for a motor was a lot. The pumps and filter are the real trick to this project.

Did you check below the styrofoam to see if the motor and rack are there? That's how they pack it. If not, you only bought the extra stand and pucks, but that should not cost $1400. It is closer to $750.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Dealers surprise me. I said I was using a home made motor and stand so he ordered me a spindle and pucks. Well Hello McFly. If I have a homemade unit, I have a spindle and pucks too. I need a real machine. I got this unit in exchange for labor. Not sure the investment. Since I had a prior falling out with this guy, I guess I won't ever see a real machine.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
How are you guys rinsing. A spin clean? A second ultrasonic?
Since I had the pump and filter I ran a batch last night. I vacuumed them dry when done.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
They say, desperstion is the mother of invention. I stacked some wood and cardboard and other stuff to make a motor. What a joke!?%$. But it seemed to have worked.

Attachments

• 20210706_074024.jpg
    20210706_074024.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 21

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Dealers surprise me. I said I was using a home made motor and stand so he ordered me a spindle and pucks. Well Hello McFly. If I have a homemade unit, I have a spindle and pucks too. I need a real machine. I got this unit in exchange for labor. Not sure the investment. Since I had a prior falling out with this guy, I guess I won't ever see a real machine.

If that's all your ordered (spindle and pucks) why are you bothered by what you got? What am I missing here?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Since I had the pump and filter I ran a batch last night. I vacuumed them dry when done.

Wash on the right, rinse on the left.

2020-12-29 16.05.36.jpg

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I mean no disrespect when I suggest that you read some of the posts in this thread. I only say that because by doing so you may have averted the problem with your dealer and answered some of your own questions.

DSC01993-S.JPG

The tank on the right is for washing/cleaning - the same as I've been using for a while ... The lefthand tank is for rinsing

I suggest you find another dealer to see if he can help you obtain the RD frame w/ motor. Although you can buy additional spindles, Kuzma does not normally sell the frame+motor seperately. However, Franc offers superb customer service and if you pursue it, I'm confident the situation can be made right.

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
My dealer admitted to ordering the wrong product.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
This is one of 4? threads on your build. Maybe in total 50 pages to sort through.

All forums become somewhat overwhelming to refind information you may want that becomes buried. Sorry I asked.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
If that's all your ordered (spindle and pucks) why are you bothered by what you got? What am I missing here?
I ordered a complete kit????? Who said I ordered a spindle and pucks. I got a spindle and pucks. Not what I wanted.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I just installed this pump. My last one was making funny noises and not flowing enough. This one seems like it'd be weak and pathetic but if it lasts for awhile it's actually really good; flows fast (can drain full tank in moments). I switched to 1/2 lines for it, too. However the fittings it comes with that say they are 1/2 are indeed only 3/8. I have to redo the tape on them later today because overnight I got the tiniest big of water to come through the threads on one. That is partly due to the original being a different type of seal. So far no hose clamps have been necessary except on the ultra sonic that has an odd sized spout that basically requires it (even though it comes with a hose).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I suggest you find another dealer to see if he can help you obtain the RD frame w/ motor. Although you can buy additional spindles, Kuzma does not normally sell the frame+motor seperately. However, Franc offers superb customer service and if you pursue it, I'm confident the situation can be made right.

Although it can need some work, we get an inexpensive step motor controller https://www.ebay.com/itm/284190790094?hash=item422b1751ce:g:-LIAAOSwy6NgMFA5 , any kind of step motor https://www.ebay.com/itm/402662611626?hash=item5dc08fdaaa:g:UBAAAOSwKthgEO7T , a DC power supply and make the LPs turn smoothly at an adjustable speed . Mounting can be much more simple if we get the motor fixing brackets - https://www.ebay.com/itm/224498109941?hash=item3445214df5:g:UdcAAOSwwWBgyEru

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
This is one of 4? threads on your build. Maybe in total 50 pages to sort through.

All forums become somewhat overwhelming to refind information you may want that becomes buried. Sorry I asked.

Not a good response. There's only one thread about my RCM system here. Everyone gets a reply. You get out of something what you put into it. Perhaps you are spreading your frustration about your purchase to those from whom you sought help. No need to be sour.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I just installed this pump. My last one was making funny noises and not flowing enough. This one seems like it'd be weak and pathetic but if it lasts for awhile it's actually really good; flows fast (can drain full tank in moments). I switched to 1/2 lines for it, too. However the fittings it comes with that say they are 1/2 are indeed only 3/8. I have to redo the tape on them later today because overnight I got the tiniest big of water to come through the threads on one. That is partly due to the original being a different type of seal. So far no hose clamps have been necessary except on the ultra sonic that has an odd sized spout that basically requires it (even though it comes with a hose).

I kinda scratched my head looking at their picture of calipers on a hose barb. There is a well codified language for describing such parts. Always a good idea to keep watch on newly made connections.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Batch 1 and 2 came out decent. Your right Tima. I feel a little pressed for time. I wanted to get this up and running and move on. I can "hear" from results I'm going in the right direction but need a lot of fine tuning. Probably need a better ultrasonic. The outer groove has a lot less pops and noise than the inner. And I need to hone formulations.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing