Think you can play pool?

Doing trick shots is a lot different than playing pool. That's not to say he is not a good pool player, but doing trick shots is not the best indicator of being a good pool player.

I just don't understand how these shots are humanly possible. Is it really something you can learn? The physics of them seems next to impossible.

I just don't understand how these shots are humanly possible. Is it really something you can learn? The physics of them seems next to impossible.

I'm just glad the guy isn't interested in making turntables. The competition is fierce enough as it is. :D

Amir,

Just like most other obsessions, if you practice enough each day you'll get good at it. I have a couple of friends who are magicians. Don't think I have seen either without cards in their hands or pockets.

the cue ball behavior depends a lot of how much it spins or back spins, dictated by the speed of the stroke and where the tip of the stick hit the cue ball. yes, practice, practice, practice but some players are more gifted than others. drawing the cue ball involves a lot of backspin. Much like golf, pool involves a lot of physics. I learned to play pool when I was in college and my regular play mate back then was our landlord, and interestingly enough, he is a physics professor. But hanging out in a pool hall and playing with advanced players will teach you a lot about the game. I used to be (almost) addicted to the game, playing over a hundred sets of rotation (much harder to play the eight balls or nine balls) in one day :eek: , I used to spend my weekends in the pool hall, not in the library

I used to spend my weekends in the pool hall, not in the library

You must have at least walked through (or by) the library on rare occasion or you would not have secured the kind of employment that would allow you to afford the incredible system you have put together.

Very nice!

PS: My time in the library was usually spent socializing and trying to meet girls !!

Back in my college days I competed in the NCAA championship (14-1 Purdue campus eliminations) and unfortunately drew Nick Varner first round. Lost in a respectable match. Nick went on to win the NCAA championship his jr. and sr. years then professionally became world champ more than once. I went on to play locally and won a couple of tournaments but when I'd play one of the big boys it was lights out. It's definitely a sifting process. Loss of vision in my left eye and lower back problems have relegated me to the sidelines. But I still have my music by golly :cool:

Who would want to?

This is my favorite game in the world. Billiards. Been playing since I was knee high to a duck. I'd challenge him and have a blast doing so but I'd honestly lose, even though I have a trick shot or two myself. I actually won a tournament once doing a behind the back, over a ball shot. What a way to end a game!

I miss it though, as I sold my pool table years ago and I currently have a hard enough time to sit down and enjoy the rig anymore. One day, I will get another one and return to my favorite game.....with my rig once again as the source of background music.

:(

I shouldn't have clicked onto this thread. Now I want to go play.

Tom

Hey now, the big rig ain't just for critical listening. :D

*runs away fast with audiophile card tightly tucked under armpit*

Tom

Pool. music and beautiful women. Starting to corral up enough obsessions to overcome any resistance to irresponsible behavior.

Playing pool was the most fun I ever had while fully clothed :b

Playing pool was the most fun I ever had while fully clothed :b
Not sure about others here on the forum but I can personally agree. ;) Mike, I have seen first hand folks that can do what this cat does. If you can learn to spin the ball (English, as it's called), the pool table world is at your command. This guy is definitely advanced beyond normal comprehension.

Tom

..only if you call your shots :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing