The WBF Top Classic Rock Albums

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm almost surprised no one has mentioned The Grateful Dead....not that I'm complaining mind you! ;)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hello, Shaffer. Would you possibly reconsider this decision? Your thoughts should not be discounted any more than anybody else. It's a collective effort creating the WBF top 25. Our collective list has got to be better than the other one. FWIW.

Tom

I agree.....Put it back up Felix...please!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Good list, John. Maybe we can collate this when it's done.

No LIst yet ... Seething on my Giants out of the Playoff .. Now I am officially rooting for the Patriots to win it all :D

No "Classic" Rock list is complete or adequate without :
Led Zeppelin
The Beattles
Emerson Lake and Palmer
Pink Floyd
Jimi Hendrix
Carlos Santana
The Doors
Grudgingly because I don't care much about them, Neil Young and The Rolling Stones
Yes
Jethro Tull
Black Sabbath

To me these people/groups defined what I think Rock, as a music genre, to be in th 60~70's

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The Grateful Dead are far and away my favorite music, but they don't have any albums that qualify IMHO.

Groups like Soft Machine, The Moody Blues, Chicago and BS&T, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, etc. aren't "rock" (again IMHO) or they would all have albums on my list.

To me (and it may just be me), "classic rock" is just the rock I grew up with before I quit listening to the radio. I listen to a lot of "new" music but very little of it falls into any category resembling "rock"

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My list excluded Led Zeppelin as I wasn't into them until later, and thereby they didn't impact what I felt was personally defining. There is no doubt they impacted heavily, but strangely enough in the 70's especially I was very much (and still am) in love with progressive rock, R&B and folk. I would have loved to add Marvin Gaye, Cat Stevens, James Taylor and on and on.....

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The Grateful Dead are far and away my favorite music, but they don't have any albums that qualify IMHO.

Groups like Soft Machine, The Moody Blues, Chicago and BS&T, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, etc. aren't "rock" (again IMHO) or they would all have albums on my list.

To me (and it may just be me), "classic rock" is just the rock I grew up with before I quit listening to the radio. I listen to a lot of "new" music but very little of it falls into any category resembling "rock"

That's why I said we need to define what Classic Rock truly is.........

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...I deleted my entire post.

I think you should reconsider, and perhaps instead delete your gratuitous criticism of the genre? It's a bit short-sighted to ignore the fact that there would probably be little current music of an edgy, experimental or non-mainstream nature without the music of the '60's and '70's?

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Fair enough. My list of the top-25 Classic Rock albums, as the music, not necessarily congruent with Classic Rock as the radio format:

1. Clash - Clash
2. Clash - London Calling
3. Sex Pistols - Never Mind...
4. Chuck Berry - Golden Decade
5. Velvet Underground - Loaded
6. Roxy Music - Siren
7. Love - Forever Changes
8. John Cale - Paris 1919
9. Eno - Another Green World
10. Leo Kotke - Greenhouse
11. Nirvana - Nevermind
12. Smiths - Meat is Murder
13. Beatles - White Album
14. Rolling Stones - Black and Blue
15. Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
16. Lou Reed - Rock n Roll Animal
17. Nick Drake - Bryter Layter
18. Bob Dylan - Tempest
19. Nick Cave - Firstborn is Dead
20. Kraftwerk - Radioactivity
21. ZZ Top - Deguelo
22. Laurie Anderson - Strange Angels
23. Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
24. Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin' Simon
25. Garbage - Garbage

I think you should reconsider, and perhaps instead delete your gratuitous criticism of the genre? It's a bit short-sighted to ignore the fact that there would probably be little current music of an edgy, experimental or non-mainstream nature without the music of the '60's and '70's?

Might be easier if I PM you my entire post and then upload it only after your approval.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Nivarna - Nevermind ...is good. :b
...So is Garbage - G :cool:

....Brian Eno; good score. ...And Laurie Anderson. ...And Nick Cave. ...And John Cale.
...And Lou Reed. ...And Leo Kottke (with two "t"s ;) ) ...All cool. :cool:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Elvis Presley?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
He is the King of Rock and Roll. I think if you look at his entire body of work,

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
He is the King of Rock and Roll. I think if you look at his entire body of work,

But does that qualify as Classic Rock? No denying his impact and importance to music.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
But does that qualify as Classic Rock? No denying his impact and importance to music.
If I were absolutely sure I wquld not have to ask the ask the question. Songs like Jailhouse Rock and Heartbreak Hotel would make me say yes.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If I were absolutely sure I wquld not have to ask the ask the question. Songs like Jailhouse Rock and Heartbreak Hotel would make me say yes.

I don't disagree. :).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing