the time of day has lost much of it's relevance. seems a bit disorienting to me. but i'm warming up to it.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Reactions: KeithR and Folsom

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Larry - I did a trip through Sonoma and Willamette a few years ago and one of the wineries told me that Sideways led to a huge pull of Merlot vines and that had upped the quality - not sure if it is true.
We were at Merry Edwards winery and there were 3 other couples there - all trying to guess which pinot clone they were tasting - a bit intimidating - turns out they were all winemakers
I thought the northern Sonoma area and Oregon were quite interesting , as well as Littorai there was Peay and Copain - in Willamette Willackenzie impressed as did a few others. As you say there are so many.
On the hill south of Newberg where some of the posh wineries are located you can see 5 snow capped peaks. A fantastic road trip from SF
I have some 2000 Robart Mondavi which is spectacular I am quite a fan of Napa cabs but do not know any Bordeaux blends from that area. I think there are some cracking Kiwi Bordeaux blends these days
Definitely going to crack a bottle tonight after all this wine talk

cheers
Phil

Phil, there are some California bordeaux type blends, typically labelled Meritage. The most famous is the partnership of Robert Mondavi with Baron Philippe de Rothschild of Mouton Rothschild fame, called Opus One, although I don't think it is labelled as a Meritage. This is all from reading - never had an Opus One. When it first came out, it was the most expensive California wine (IIRC) something like $50 a bottle in the early '80's.

Larry

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Phil, there are some California bordeaux type blends, typically labelled Meritage. The most famous is the partnership of Robert Mondavi with Baron Philippe de Rothschild of Mouton Rothschild fame, called Opus One, although I don't think it is labelled as a Meritage. This is all from reading - never had an Opus One. When it first came out, it was the most expensive California wine (IIRC) something like $50 a bottle in the early '80's.

Larry

Prefer Insignia myself in that sphere.

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Prefer Insignia myself in that sphere.
Thanks Larry and Keith

You can get opus one in aus - at a cool $700AU each - hard to fork out that for a new world ( or anything really)
This is all good info for next US trip - was going to be November but who knows now

Phil

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Larry - I did a trip through Sonoma and Willamette a few years ago and one of the wineries told me that Sideways led to a huge pull of Merlot vines and that had upped the quality - not sure if it is true.

What's interesting about that scene in Sideways where Giamatti's character Miles says "if anyone orders Merlot I am leaving" is that an important aspect of that was left on the cutting room floor. Miles only said that because his wife liked Merlot. They cut that part out. It really wasn't because he thought Merlot was crap.

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
What's interesting about that scene in Sideways where Giamatti's character Miles says "if anyone orders Merlot I am leaving" is that an important aspect of that was left on the cutting room floor. Miles only said that because his wife liked Merlot. They cut that part out. It really wasn't because he thought Merlot was crap.
Yes - perfect example of the shallowness of modern discourse and the consequences that follow - in fact I recall that that was pretty clear in the actual film - was a while ago though !

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
We started on old world wine just as they were beginning to get expensive in the early 00's. Back then you could still get DRC Echezeaux for less than £200 a bottle. A fair chunk of cash but a good deal more expensive than anything other than a 1st growth and some of the top name Burgundy. There was plenty of fabulous wine around for the price of a night out.

I saved and mounted some of the labels, the following were left on bottles until a couple of years back when we moved house. Some didn't survive the process of removal as you can see. They were left in a messy draw, an 80's Ch Margaux among others is missing, will be in there somewhere. The Batard was an '82, gloriously intense, think we had it around 2012, a very different experience to modestly aged white Burgundy.

The '59 was well gone when we opened it, still had some Pinot on the nose but oxidised to thin Burgundian vinegar. The merchant replaced it with a 2005 Grand Echezeaux which was excellent.

Cheers all, enjoy your cellars while we wait to head out and rummage through the merchants bins again

20200428_093559.jpg

Aug 12, 2019
I'm in Spain and it's been very weird. I'm nowhere near ready for retirement and don't think I ever will be! It's been very scary but I'm a lucky one. I usually travel a lot but can also work from home. I'm enjoying a less hectic lifestyle and finding a balance.

I think those of us who don't have to be the forefront of this should thank our lucky stars for the ones who do. They have kept us all going in countries around the world - whether it's health professionals, shop workers, those in education looking after key workers' kids, transport drivers - everyone and anyone who has had to be out there still doing their thing. Thank you.

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
since there are no events or work to be late for, no restaurant reservations to arrive for, and no 'live' sports on TV to watch....and ....all our media entertainment is pretty much on demand, the time of day has lost it's relevance. we concern ourselves with the sun and our stomachs (and maybe where to find TP).

it's beyond a vacation situation for most of us.......it's a different paradigm. maybe i was in the minority as far as how much i was a captive of the time of day.....and i'm over-dramatizing this?

don't get me wrong; i've prepared my whole life to lose my watch and cell phone......but this is another animal.

i think i like it.
Well, with 5 kids at home , I'm plenty busy!
Bathroom renovation, gardening, deck addition, and all of those pesky 'projects' I was going to get around to...
I must say, I am going a little stir crazy, but this is the perfect time to revisit my music collection!
And get that Karlsson horn subwoofer tuned over at my dad's place. And make those tape dubs...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing