The REAL WORLD priced high performing product thread.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
In 1990 I had a Sota Star Sapphire that I bought brand new, and ET-2 tonearm I bought brand new, a Van den Hul MC-10 cartridge I bought brand new, a Counterpoint SA-5.1 that I bought brand new, and an ARC D-76 power amp I bought used. My speakers were two-way transmission lines that I designed and built.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Also in for review...the Opera Mezza loudspeaker.

Made in Italy. Selling for $1500.

Early impressions are this is a high value, high fidelity, attractive product.

View attachment 8019

Glad to see this speaker reviewed, Hi-end audio is behaving just like the car industry these days, a lot of bang for the buck at entry-level prices.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Add Oppo 103/105 at $500/$1100 to that list for source.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Glad to see this speaker reviewed, Hi-end audio is behaving just like the car industry these days, a lot of bang for the buck at entry-level prices.

After a few days with it..a quick preview...a lovely, balanced sound, with very satisfying bass in a midsize room.

The workmanship is exceptional. I have it paired with an Electrocompaniet EC13 and a Marantz NA7004 network player.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Andre. I just so happen to have serial #3 and #4 of the Carver tube amplifier you speak of. We had fun building the first 100 or so pre-production units on top of a mountain at an audio event with Mr. Carver himself. I couldn't believe my ears when that amp bested a VTL amplifier in the same Dalquist DQ-8 based system. Very good choice for a real world price for high end sound. Of course, you have to pair it with a compatible system but I'm sure many folks can appreciate that fact with other gear as well. I have since heard just a single unit power a pair of Apogees and once again, it bested the VTL amplifiers. On many aspects but at reasonable/appropriate listening levels.

Two other contenders I would like to add to the thread would be the Jolida JD-100 tubed CDP and the now discontinued Anthem1 tube amp. With non-stock tubes, of course [same thing with the Carver amplifier already mentioned....Telefunkens sound great in them!]. Both are sonically good performers available at real world prices.

Great thread!

Tom

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hello, Andre. I just so happen to have serial #3 and #4 of the Carver tube amplifier you speak of. We had fun building the first 100 or so pre-production units on top of a mountain at an audio event with Mr. Carver himself. I couldn't believe my ears when that amp bested a VTL amplifier in the same Dalquist DQ-8 based system. Very good choice for a real world price for high end sound. Of course, you have to pair it with a compatible system but I'm sure many folks can appreciate that fact with other gear as well. I have since heard just a single unit power a pair of Apogees and once again, it bested the VTL amplifiers. On many aspects but at reasonable/appropriate listening levels.

Two other contenders I would like to add to the thread would be the Jolida JD-100 tubed CDP and the now discontinued Anthem1 tube amp. With non-stock tubes, of course [same thing with the Carver amplifier already mentioned....Telefunkens sound great in them!]. Both are sonically good performers available at real world prices.

Great thread!

Tom

Very nice. That had to be a very interesting experience.

Agree about the right speaker, but let me tell you I am driving a pair of Thiel CS2.4's with absolutely no issues.
Carver knows what he is doing.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Carver knows what he is doing......
.....when it comes to tube amplifiers.

2500, has a two ohm tap and bettered a VTL..! Are these the ones using the KT120 output tubes ..?
No. I believe the amps you speak of are the Black Beauty 305, the Cherry 180 or the soon to be re-released classic Silver Seven [this time with more tubes/power] but that isn't what comes with them IIRC.

Tom

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
$2500 each. A pair can also be used as mono blocks.

That would then put them into competition with McIntosh stereo MC275 Mk6 series, and tbh that has some of the finest measurements going (see Hifi news) along with a fair amount of dynamic power 110w for each channel and pretty good output impedance considering it is a tube (think it was roughly 0.23 across 20hz to 20khz).
May seem a bit mean of me, but the McIntosh seems to be better built, just mentioning when considering the Carvers as use in monos.
McIntosh IMO is probably the benchmark for real world high end to moderate high end comparison in terms of specification-build-sound-measurements when it comes to tube amps

Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
That would then put them into competition with McIntosh stereo MC275 Mk6 series, and tbh that has some of the finest measurements going (see Hifi news) along with a fair amount of dynamic power 110w for each channel and pretty good output impedance considering it is a tube (think it was roughly 0.23 across 20hz to 20khz).
May seem a bit mean of me, but the McIntosh seems to be better built, just mentioning when considering the Carvers as use in monos.
McIntosh IMO is probably the benchmark for real world high end to moderate high end comparison in terms of specification-build-sound-measurements when it comes to tube amps

Cheers
Orb

Measurements? Very good. Sound? Eh.:eek:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
After a few days with both these products, I can honestly say they are real world performers.

The Carver amp is a real eye opener.

Although I am beginning to thing that all this chatter about a high price/performance ration is all talk....threads
about fairly priced gear die a death, where threads about gear priced to the stratosphere go on forever.
It may be like the syndrome in the news business: 'Everything is OK' doesn't sell newspapers.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Eh, good point whart.

Tom

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Cheers
Orb

A rather odd comparison. According to Caver, virtually every unit sold is being used as stereo amp. I don't see those two amps
as going head to head in any way....

This potential buyer of this amp will be comparing it to other EL34 amps. I think you are off the mark on this one.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre,
as part of the real world reviews any thoughts to the Cambridge Azur 851 models separately and together?
They made notice in Stereophile last year but no reviews or notable presence in audio publications as a review apart from HiFi News in UK where it was very well received - should have more visibility when looking at that review.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/cambridge-audios-new-851-series
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/media/hi-finews_851ac_aug2012-1354626961.pdf

Cheers
Orb

No experience there..but I have owned CA pieces and have always enjoyed them.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Value is always up to the beholder and I don't feel is necessarily "real world" as in cheap. RH often talks about the BADA at 5k which is value and super high end. Many consider the Devialet (although I've never heard it sound good) in the same camp. I think we have an issue where gear at the bottom and at the top is often reviewed/discussed, but many of us hanging in the middle are left out- i think manufacturers are catering to both of those ends as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing