The next superfood is here and it's called moringa

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Courtney Rubin | Details

The leaves of the moringa trees may be the world's most nutritious green—and they're coming to a health-food store near you.
Remember the moment when every runway regular suddenly became a supermodel? Now every healthy edible wants to be called a superfood. Which is why even that term likely doesn't do justice to moringa, a tree leaf that contains more nutrients and natural remedies than your body knows what to do with. Ancient warriors fueled for battle with the leaf extract, hot for the stamina and strength it gave them; and legend has it that Egyptian Pharaohs were buried with it to sustain them in the afterlife. Health-savvy Americans are the latest followers, thanks to the energy, immunity, and metabolism boosts moringa delivers.
"Moringa has incredibly nutritious qualities—it has 3.5 times the calcium of milk and 4 times the vitamin C of oranges," says David Wolfe, author of Superfoods. All you have to do is open the bag and let the good nutrients roll.
What's in it
A recent analysis of the leaves found that moringa contains more vitamin A than carrots, more iron than spinach, and more potassium than bananas. It also packs as much protein as milk or eggs.
MORE FROM DETAILS:

How to consume it
If you can get your hands on the fresh leaves (not a grocery-store staple yet, as they mostly grow in southern Florida and California), expect a lemony, peppery spinach taste. Add to a salad mix or sauté. Skip expensive supplements and add the dry powder—which is just as nutritious as the leaves, says Johns Hopkins nutritional biochemist Jed Fahey—to smoothies or drinks (try Organic India Moringa Leaf Powder, vitaminshoppe.com). Sip moringa tea (republicoftea.com) or drink a moringa beverage (zijamoringa.com) straight up.

Where you'll find it
Mostly online and in supplement stores. A new snack bar made with moringa from Kuli Kuli is launching this month, and the superfood is hitting the restaurant scene: Sarma Melngailis, owner of Pure Food and Wine in New York City, says she'll be adding moringa to some items on the menu soon.
The Endorsement: Grooming Products Made With Moringa
The antioxidant-rich oil pressed from the seeds of the tree is revered by skin-care companies for its ability to moisturize and revive skin. Here are three products to try.

Moringa soap
Like olive oil, which has a similar makeup, moringa gently lifts dirt without leaving skin parched.
$4; bodyshop.com

Multi-Purpose Mattifying Moisturizer
This moisturizer improves skin complexion thanks to its vitamin C content.
$68; makemyyours.com

Moringa oil
The oil's anti-inflammatory properties make it ideal for healing minor skin irritations.
$23; kosia.co

Discovery Channel - Documentary of Moringa Oleifera

Reactions: Johan K

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Have the claims been tested? ;)

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Sounds like a great way to get carotene poisoning, haemachromatosis, and potassium poisoning.

Anything which is advertised as "rich in Iron!!" also has a downside. Consume too much and you'll be in trouble :)

Steve Williams

Sounds like a great way to get carotene poisoning, haemachromatosis, and potassium poisoning.

Anything which is advertised as "rich in Iron!!" also has a downside. Consume too much and you'll be in trouble :)

everything in moderation Keith. There are products on the market with safe levels

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Soylent Green :D

Steve Williams

Sure there are, Steve. I don't see the point of marketers pimping how much Vitamin A this thing has when you could just eat another carrot. Personally i'd go for the carrot - I love them :)

You might be missing the point. You can grab the carrot but many in the world can't and suffer from malnutrition. I thought this was an interesting article.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You might be missing the point. You can grab the carrot but many in the world can't and suffer from malnutrition. I thought this was an interesting article.

Steve the key word you're searching for is people should eat "nutrient dense" foods. Sure you can get your A from carrots but look what else you get from eating this or say a list of 10 super foods.

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
Can I put the leaves under my cable lifters?

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
Better idea is to sell your cable lifters and buy some iodine rich sea weed instead.
And put it under my cables? :eek:

I mean, no one likes cables with myxoedema, do they?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Iodine Deficiency Disorders (IDD) are one of the biggest worldwide public health problem of today. Their effect is hidden and profoundly affects the quality of human life. Iodine deficiency occurs when the soil is poor in iodine, causing a low concentration in food products and insufficient iodine intake in the population. When iodine requirements are not met, the thyroid may no longer be able to synthesize sufficient amounts of thyroid hormone. The resulting low-level of thyroid hormones in the blood is the principal factor responsible for the series of functional and developmental abnormalities, collectively referred to as IDD. Iodine deficiency is a significant cause of mental developmental problems in children, including implications on reproductive functions and lowering of IQ levels in school-aged children. The consequence of iodine deficiency during pregnancy is impaired synthesis of thyroid hormones by the mother and the foetus. An insufficient supply of thyroid hormones to the developing brain may result in mental retardation. Brain damage and irreversible mental retardation are the most important disorders induced by iodine deficiency. Daily consumption of salt fortified with iodine is a proven effective strategy for prevention of IDD.

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
Sorry, fellah. I used to find and treat these things, but somehow managed to retain a sense of humour, for which I apologise.

Should you be that interested, do try and find a copy of Richard Asher's book Talking Sense, in which he describes the first patients treated with thyroid extract, along with providing the first descriptions of Munchausen's Syndrome and DVT (The Dangers of Going To Bed). Asher, to bring us on topic, was the father of Jane, who was Paul McCartney's girlfriend.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing