The New Integrateds: An Urban Renewal?

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
I have recently been fascinated by the emerging variety of integrated amplifiers coming to market.
Here’s few of the names I’ve been exploring for a future house stereo system:
Esoteric F03A - this was always a brand that seemed to provide great value and integrity it ignited my interest in the one box solution
DartZeel 8550
Boulder 865
Luxman L509x
McIntosh 7200 AC (with the DAC module)
Accuphase E-370 (with DAC module and phono module)
Mark Levinson No. 585
And the newly released Hint6 by Parasound

Is this the new Urban trend to small is beautiful. Is our design and technology allowing us to better shield and even separate power supplies to run multiple modules in the one chassis design? What trends are driving this new market?

Are brands like Esoteric any match for the likes of DarTZeel?

Can more commercial brands such as Marantz or Yamaha compete on performance in this value for money segment?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
All I can say is that I have been playing with the Constellation and CH Precision integrateds that I feel they are absolutely perfect solutions for people that need beautiful music but just don't have the desire to delve into the nitty gritty of this hobby. Many integrateds may not blow away the hardcore audio nuts but they are certainly able to do so for the regular guy or gal on the street.

If I had to seriously downsize, I could live happily with VR-55s, a CH I1, a W20 and an Airforce 3 Premium...................with 4 arms Wahahahahahaha!

Got carried away there :D

Reactions: Narayan and John57

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
All I can say is that I have been playing with the Constellation and CH Precision integrateds that I feel they are absolutely perfect solutions for people that need beautiful music but just don't have the desire to delve into the nitty gritty of this hobby. Many integrateds may not blow away the hardcore audio nuts but they are certainly able to do so for the regular guy or gal on the street.

If I had to seriously downsize, I could live happily with VR-55s, a CH I1, a W20 and an Airforce 3 Premium...................with 4 arms Wahahahahahaha!

I love getting carried away and wish it would happen more often.
Now I have to go look up CH Precision integrateds...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The DAC is excellent and so is the Phono. It does streaming too. Crazy piece man. I totally love it so much I decided to keep it and order another one for inventory.

The simplicity of a well thought out integrated (I'd love to try AVM too) is that satisfaction comes so easily. No space issues, simplified placement options, fewer connections, everything leads straight to just listening.

If like me, you have paid your setup dues in sweat and frustration, being faced with the fuss free is really cool in its own way.

Reactions: Ed.P and John57

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Can more commercial brands such as Marantz or Yamaha compete on performance in this value for money segment?

I think that Marantz with it's Reference line certainly can. Perhaps not the nth degree in terms of overall performance excellence as compared to some you've listed, but their scale allows for a product that a boutique manufacturer would have to sell at more than double the price. The new PM-KI-Ruby would likely have to list around $8,000 - $10,000. Of course I don't know this for sure, but it's not an unreasonable possibility or probability even. Unfortunately, many high-end audiophiles wouldn't be caught dead with a product from such a commercial audio behemoth.

Reactions: GSOphile and John57

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
I think that Marantz with it's Reference line certainly can. Perhaps not the nth degree in terms of overall performance excellence as compared to some you've listed, but their scale allows for a product that a boutique manufacturer would have to sell at more than double the price. The new PM-KI-Ruby would likely have to list around $8,000 - $10,000. Of course I don't know this for sure, but it's not an unreasonable possibility or probability even. Unfortunately, many high-end audiophiles wouldn't be caught dead with a product from such a commercial audio behemoth.
G’day Johnny
Some of the differentiators I guess between the commercial vs boutique hi-end are component and parts choices, esp capacitors, design choices etc etc. The results are as you say the final words on transparency resolution and dynamics. Of course outside engineering there’s the brand. And you nailed it...many on this site wouldn’t touch them. Oth they also don’t list them ever in their top ten favorites list either...

Reactions: Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
G’day Johnny
Some of the differentiators I guess between the commercial vs boutique hi-end are component and parts choices, esp capacitors, design choices etc etc. The results are as you say the final words on transparency resolution and dynamics. Of course outside engineering there’s the brand. And you nailed it...many on this site wouldn’t touch them. Oth they also don’t list them ever in their top ten favorites list either...
In fairness, I'm not a consumer of ultra high-end audio and consider myself and the equipment I own as more of an entry-level high-end audiophile enthusiast, but if I were, I could or would perhaps be of the same mindset.

Reactions: John57

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Johnny
Since I connected an upgraded LX88 Pioneer BDP to my upgraded Marantz 8802A/8077 using direct or pure direct I found one version of heaven. Comparing that to an upgraded PS Audio PerfectWave DAC to my PassLabs XA25 was only lesser because the XA25 was such a strong grip on my speakers. I can imagine the CH Precision integrated raised above is amazing...

Reactions: Johnny Vinyl

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Seperating stuff has never been a problem except within what people are willing to pay. Integrated simply runs our of room quickly, and is no longer too small.

It is actually realy nice to eliminate as much if the cable game as possible with one.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey

Hi Jack,

Stupid question: Would the CH L1 integrated be powerful enough to drive those VR-55s? If so, what about other speakers, like Wilson Sashas, for example?
I also like the idea of the integrated amp, essentially for the reason that you mention (the nitty gritty is a little beyond me, despite being the son of an electronic engineer). It's a path I may like to go down. Sorry if I took this OT.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Mike they certainly can. We've used 55s with as little as 18 watts at good SPL. I think they would easily handle any member of the WP family and later progenies.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
The CH Precision I1 was designed by using the “heart of the A1 amp, L1 pre, C1 DAC, and P1 phono” according to designer Raphael Pasche. One can optionally add ethernet streaming, or USB streaming, phono card, and a clock synch card. The streaming and synch cards are the same ones used in our C1 DAC made possible by our modular design approach. The power supply is hefty and occupies the majority of the center of the unit. The CH Precision I1 has been recently reviewed by Alan Taffel, Alan Sircom, and Rafe Arnot (TAS, HiFi+, and Audiostream respectively). You can read about it on those sites. We currently have an I1 at our Dallas dealer (Hi-end Theatre and Audio) driving Rockport Atria II, sourced by Aurender N10 or W20. When the W20 is used, the optional clock synch card is used to clock the W20. I’ve heard this system and the results in a medium sized room are ... well, you should hear it if you can. Our dealer outside Boston (Fidelis AV) will have an I1 shortly.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I recently heard the Solution 330 Integrated amp paired with an AMG turntable & Magico A3 speakers at the Melbourne Hifi & AV Show. I was impressed by the RI-101 which I auditiooned earlier with the A3's, but i've got to say the little Soulution integrated surprised me. In a smal Hotel room it had perfect synergy with the A3's and sounded smooth, well controlled, and had that perfect handshake you look for. Nice combo!

Rob Sonata

Jan 23, 2017
Interestingly, a well known and respected reviewer in the UK has just passed comment on an integrated amp that he has just written about in the Jan 2019 edition of HiFi Plus - stating that this particular product 'might just be the musical benchmark in high-end integrated amps' (he has also recently reviewed the CH-Precison I1, the ML 585, and a host of other contenders).... I believe a 'comparison review' is currently in the making - well, that's the excuse he's given to me for not returning my amp yet !

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
The Absolare Passion Integrated must be heard before any purchase imo. A superb Integrated amplifier!
Could you speak more to what you found intriguing about this integrated. I have it on my radar. What have you compared it to, and what stood out to you?

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
The Absolare is a very special product with a fluid musicality, nothing sticks out. It sounds like music and has power enough for most speaker systems. A typical " pride of ownership" product. If one is willing to pay of course.

For many many audiophiles and music lovers with normal speakers: Primaluna HP integrated with good tubes. Scary good, incredible value! If one can let go of the high end snobbery there is no need to spend more. Endgame amplifier. Spend the money saved on concerts, travels, music, etc.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I have a Gryphon Diablo 300 driving Magico S3 MkIIs in a small/medium room for predominately large scale classical music. This integrated is just about perfect for my needs, and I think I'd have to spend considerably more to significantly better it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing