The Kincade Fire in Sonoma County

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
As some members may know, I live in Sonoma County and have been affected by this extreme wildfire. My 40 acre ranch is near the coast, about 30 miles from the fire, but in one of the zones under Mandatory Evacuation because the authorities feared the high winds could send the fire our way, very rapidly as happened in the 2017 Tubbs Fire. Fortunately, I have a 2nd residence in SF, and was already there when the evacuation order was issued. However, my three worker/tenants and my cherished dog Noonan were there, and were ordered to leave. I suggested they go to the nearby Goat Rock State Park (an ocean beach near Jenner) where they would be safe. Since the fire remained at a distance and did not turn west towards the the coast, I suggested they go back the next day as they found life in the parking lot very stressful. Power was shut off to the entire area, and still is. The Evacuation Order was lifted this afternoon, but power is not expected to be restored for several days, at best. In fact, high winds are forecast for the next several days, so all bets are off.My wife and I remain in SF where life is almost normal and won't return until power is restored. Meanwhile, my tenants will run the generator a few hours each day to keep the freezer/refrigerators cold. The internet is down, but there is at least a weak cell signal. I can keep watch from here and keep them informed should they need to evacuate again. There is a network of 37 Fire Cameras on various peaks all around the effected area, including Pole Mountain, a short distance from my ranch. A fascinating, constantly updated, live view:
http://www.alertwildfire.org/northbay/index.html

I've owned this land since 1972, but didn't build until 1991. In 1978 a severe wildfire destroyed my old growth forest of Douglas Fir and Redwoods. In 1993 we reforested with 35,000 seedlings which are now 50-60' tall; the forest is back, and I don't want to lose it a 2nd time. Ongoing work is the removal of brush and reduction of other ladder fuels, towards that goal.
IMG-0888.jpg

Last edited:

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Why not go get your cherished dog before the fires possibly return?

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
He's in good hands, well cared for where he is at home and loved. Not a city dog; brought him here once and realized it wasn't right- IMG-0885.jpg he needs to be in the country.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing