The History Channel- Hatfields And McCoys

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I love cable TV as IMO all of the best shows are on cable rather than network TV.

HBO, Showtime etc are known for so many good series that one could fill pages here

However if you want something fantastic to watch, the 6 hour miniseries on the History Channel of the true story of the Hatfields and the McCoys will have you at the edge of your seats. Kevin Costner IMO excels best in western films. He produces and stars in this miniseries as the Anse Hatfield the leader of the Hatfield Family whereas Bill Paxson plays the Randall McCoy leader of the McCoy's, once best of friends until Anse deserted his troop in the Civil War to leave Randall in the thick of the war. Close friends and comrades until near the end of the Civil War, they return to their neighboring homes - Hatfield in West Virginia, McCoy just across the Tug River border in Kentucky - to increasing tensions, misunderstandings and resentments that soon explode into all-out warfare between the families. As hostilities grow, friends, neighbors and outside forces join the fight, bringing the two states to the brink of another Civil War

This is not for the squeamish or the weak at heart as many of the scenes are quite graphic. This is a family feud that went on for over a century and only just ended IIRC in 2003

How did the Hatfield-McCoy feud end, anyway?

Rather than rekindle any hard feelings up in the Appalachians, let's just say it was a draw.

Really, there’s no way to answer the question. From 1875 onwards, the most famous family feud in American history resulted in 12 deaths within the two families, plus those of several bounty hunters hoping to earn rewards offered by one side for the capture of parties on the other. Although the feud theoretically ended in 1891, it wasn’t until 1976 that representatives from the two sides came together to shake hands, and even that wasn’t the end of all contentiousness; in 2000, the issue of access to a historic cemetery led to a legal dispute that set Hatfields against McCoys yet again. The court battle ended with a compromise in which both sides claimed victory, and that’s a fair way to describe the outcome of the feud's earlier, more violent phase as well. Both sides lost lives, but neither could be said to have gotten the worst of it.

Tensions between the two families had been escalating steadily since the Civil War. The Hatfields fought on the side of the Confederacy, though they lived in the area of Virginia that would break away to become West Virginia precisely because of local opposition to Virginia's secession from the United States. Their neighbors the McCoys, living primarily in Kentucky, across a stream called the Tug Fork, fought on the Union side. Some historians trace the beginnings of the fight to the death of Harmon McCoy, who was discharged early from the Union army with a broken leg and later found murdered in the mountains. But in the years following the war a number of land-boundary disputes broke out between members of the two families, and these came to a head in 1873 over ownership of a hog: Floyd Hatfield had the hog on land he claimed was his, while Randolph “Ole Ran’l” McCoy claimed the hog belonged to him. Called upon to settle the matter, the local justice of the peace awarded the animal to Floyd Hatfield. This was perhaps unsurprising, the judge being one Anderson Hatfield; apparently the concept of judicial recusal was not widely accepted at the time. Bill Staton, a witness for the Hatfield side (though he was related to both families), was subsequently killed by two McCoy brothers. This sparked a sequence of retaliatory arson and murder that ultimately found its way to the United States Supreme Court, which in 1888 ruled on an issue raised after a posse kidnapped eight Hatfields from Virginia to stand trial in Kentucky for a McCoy murder.

What would an epic family feud be without a pair of star-crossed lovers? Here Juliet was played by Roseanna McCoy and Romeo by Johnse Hatfield. In an effort to derail the romance budding between the two, some McCoys kidnapped Johnse, upon which Roseanna made a clandestine midnight ride to alert his father (and Anderson's brother), the fractious “Devil Anse” Hatfield, revealing Johnse's whereabouts and thus leading to his rescue. The Shakespeare analogy goes only so far: despite her having chosen disloyalty to her family rather than see him come to harm, Johnse wound up dumping the pregnant Roseanna and marrying her cousin Nancy McCoy. This, as you might imagine, did nothing to calm the ire of the other McCoys; shortly thereafter Devil Anse’s brother Ellison was killed by three of Roseanna’s brothers, who were murdered in turn by other Hatfield kin.

In 1891 the families unofficially agreed to stop fighting, but the conflict had already received widespread newspaper coverage, quickly becoming a comic emblem of vicious backwoods feuding that would be referred to countless times over the coming decades. In 2003, CBS’s Saturday Early Show broadcast an event at which clan descendants Reo Hatfield and Bo McCoy signed an “official truce” between the families – an uncontroversial move, considering the last death attributed to the feud was by then over a century old.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good morning, Steve. We have the entire thing set to record on the DVR. I think one of the episodes has already been recorded and both my wife and I are looking very forward to watching it. Some great actors are in this one and it looks to be extremely entertaining.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Steve, I'd be watching it now but we promised our son that we'd take him to the pool today. Well that and our entire family is coming as well. Otherwise, my butt would be parked in front of the T.V. watching it now. I don't think I've had this much anticipation since The Hunger Games debut.

Steve Williams

Steve, I'd be watching it now but we promised our son that we'd take him to the pool today. Well that and our entire family is coming as well. Otherwise, my butt would be parked in front of the T.V. watching it now. I don't think I've had this much anticipation since The Hunger Games debut.

This is better than The Hunger Games. Kevin Costner hit a home run with this one

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I just saw one scene where they executed a bunch of people in a forest. I thought that was quite daring for a broadcast, non-premium channel. The scene was enough of a turn off that I did not seek out the series even though I was impressed with who was in it.

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
I was excited to watch this mini-series, but as it went on I just couldn't get into it. Maybe because both sides are arses. I couldn't relate to one side or the other so I didn't have anyone to empathize with, except maybe the wives & some of the children. As for the men of both families, I kept thinking "stupid is as stupid does".

Acting all around was good, except Bill Paxton, who is not very convincing at anything he does.

Since most of you have yet to watch this I should leave it at that.

Steve Williams

I was excited to watch this mini-series, but as it went on I just couldn't get into it. Maybe because both sides are arses. I couldn't relate to one side or the other so I didn't have anyone to empathize with, except maybe the wives & some of the children. As for the men of both families, I kept thinking "stupid is as stupid does".

Acting all around was good, except Bill Paxton, who is not very convincing at anything he does.

they had all of that inbreeding so this could be a cause of low IQ's

Steve Williams

I just saw one scene where they executed a bunch of people in a forest. I thought that was quite daring for a broadcast, non-premium channel. The scene was enough of a turn off that I did not seek out the series even though I was impressed with who was in it.

If you read the history of these two families IMO the History Channel has it pegged with these families. The killings and executions are what happened

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
they had all of that inbreeding so this could be a cause of low IQ's
Inbreeding; the cause of saying "Happy Birthday, Uncle Dad!" :D

This is West Virginia, after all.........[no offense to those who reside in WV]........just a joke. ;)

We watched the first hour or so, so far. Entertaining, to say the least. Great acting so far.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing