The Fourier Transform seminar

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
AND
ways to use it to measure, characterize,
and correct for various audio system issues.

Presented by
JJ Johnston (and others)
of
The PNW AES Committee

9am-4pm, Saturday, January 28th, 2012
Old Redmond Firehouse Teen Center
Redmond, WA

This will be a FREE all-day workshop/seminar, with breaks interspersed and a no-host lunch.

In the 9am-12pm morning session, JJ will explain what a Fourier Transform is, and what it's for, in NON MATHEMATICAL terms. Then he will explain some of the ways that an FFT (that's Fast Fourier Transform) can be used to measure, characterize, and correct for various kinds of audio system issues, audio testing, and the like. The talk in the morning will use "Octave" which is a freeware package available from sourceforge, that runs on windows, linux, and OS-X.

We will show how to get this freeware and install it (although we won't do that in real time due to practical constraints). If you're anxious, the link is given below. We will set up a measurement system and show the Octave commands that can be used to run an actual room probe, ThD probe, and the like, in near-real-time by using the combination of Audacity (for capture) and Octave (for analysis).

We will discuss issues like windowing, time resolution vs. frequency resolution, and what "smoothing" in the frequency domain means in the time domain. The morning session will be somewhat of a hands-on lecture, as JJ, after showing the basics, will show how to do a variety of things in real time. The Octave scripts will be shown on the "big screen" next to the results they calculate. In short, you will get to see some of the processes that are going on inside of your various boxes.

This should easily take us to lunch, and attendees are welcome to either enjoy a BYOSL (bring your own sack lunch) or to go to one of the many fine eateries nearby. Given that you will need to drive to your lunch destination, we'll take an hour for lunch, which should be more than enough time.

In the afternoon, Bob Smith and Dan Mortensen will present an overview of acoustic measurement systems. The topic includes the basic signal flow for single and dual channel systems, system calibration and a more detailed comparison of measurement microphones. Then a number of commercial and free analysis systems will be discussed. Differences are highlighted between dedicated hardware, pre-integrated, DIY-integrated and complete DIY systems. Following the slide presentation, Dan Mortensen and Bob Smith will demonstrate several analysis systems in action including Meyer Sound SIM and SmaartLive v7. Time permitting one or two others may be briefly shown.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
AND
ways to use it to measure, characterize,
and correct for various audio system issues.

Presented by
JJ Johnston (and others)
of
The PNW AES Committee

9am-4pm, Saturday, January 28th, 2012
Old Redmond Firehouse Teen Center
Redmond, WA

This will be a FREE all-day workshop/seminar, with breaks interspersed and a no-host lunch.

In the 9am-12pm morning session, JJ will explain what a Fourier Transform is, and what it's for, in NON MATHEMATICAL terms. Then he will explain some of the ways that an FFT (that's Fast Fourier Transform) can be used to measure, characterize, and correct for various kinds of audio system issues, audio testing, and the like. The talk in the morning will use "Octave" which is a freeware package available from sourceforge, that runs on windows, linux, and OS-X.

We will show how to get this freeware and install it (although we won't do that in real time due to practical constraints). If you're anxious, the link is given below. We will set up a measurement system and show the Octave commands that can be used to run an actual room probe, ThD probe, and the like, in near-real-time by using the combination of Audacity (for capture) and Octave (for analysis).

We will discuss issues like windowing, time resolution vs. frequency resolution, and what "smoothing" in the frequency domain means in the time domain. The morning session will be somewhat of a hands-on lecture, as JJ, after showing the basics, will show how to do a variety of things in real time. The Octave scripts will be shown on the "big screen" next to the results they calculate. In short, you will get to see some of the processes that are going on inside of your various boxes.

This should easily take us to lunch, and attendees are welcome to either enjoy a BYOSL (bring your own sack lunch) or to go to one of the many fine eateries nearby. Given that you will need to drive to your lunch destination, we'll take an hour for lunch, which should be more than enough time.

In the afternoon, Bob Smith and Dan Mortensen will present an overview of acoustic measurement systems. The topic includes the basic signal flow for single and dual channel systems, system calibration and a more detailed comparison of measurement microphones. Then a number of commercial and free analysis systems will be discussed. Differences are highlighted between dedicated hardware, pre-integrated, DIY-integrated and complete DIY systems. Following the slide presentation, Dan Mortensen and Bob Smith will demonstrate several analysis systems in action including Meyer Sound SIM and SmaartLive v7. Time permitting one or two others may be briefly shown.

They should tape it and put the video online!

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Here you have the management summary

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Vincent, a long time ago (back in DOS days) there was a computer game that did just that. The game displayed an arbitrary waveform. The player had to move sliders of the harmonics to try to match the waveform.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Read this in the context of JJ working in my old group at Microsoft as our chief audio architect.

When I read that JJ was going to explain something like this topic without mathematics, or frankly, anything related to audio without mathematics, I would say it would never happen. So I downloaded the FFT powerpoint and just read through it. Well, I was right :). Even though this is 1000 levels below the level he normally speaks, it is still a very technical view of the topic.

That said, I really encourage people to attend. i will try to go if schedules permit. JJ is quite a character (and I mean that in a positive way), a very deep cavern of information, and been around a block for a long time. It would be shocking if one did not learn a few things after listening to him. And having a good time doing it.

Thanks Bruce for posting this.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
This is GREAT

***N
and I have to live down here :mad:
Oh, the sacrifices we make ;)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just got back from the seminar... everyone in Seattle that missed it, you lost out.

First part, JJ did include math... a lot of it was over my head... but still, I followed along.

Second part was giving by Bob Smith and Dan Mortensen. They had a Meyer SIM 3 system and a SMAART 7 system there as well as a RoomEQ Wizard system. They took measurements of speakers, rooms and even held up plywood adjacent to the speaker and behind the microphone to show what boundries and comb filtering would look like on the graphs.

They talked about the software, microphones and audio interfaces.

Awesome job!!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
If you wouldn't mind...

Just got back from the seminar... everyone in Seattle that missed it, you lost out.

First part, JJ did include math... a lot of it was over my head... but still, I followed along.

Second part was giving by Bob Smith and Dan Mortensen. They had a Meyer SIM 3 system and a SMAART 7 system there as well as a RoomEQ Wizard system. They took measurements of speakers, rooms and even held up plywood adjacent to the speaker and behind the microphone to show what boundries and comb filtering would look like on the graphs.

They talked about the software, microphones and audio interfaces.

Awesome job!!

Please alert us with a post/link should you become aware of the seminar vid :p
Thanks, B.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not that I would have gone given my terrible cold but if I had remembered it was today, I may have dragged myself there :).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing