The Colibri “Master Signature”

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Hi!

I am not surprised. The Colibris have a too high output impedance for the built in MC step up. My phonos work best with cartridges of 10 Ohms or less output impedance. For higher impedance cartridges the built in transformer can be rewired or replaced by a better matching one.

Thomas

What's the internal impedance of the Master Signature? This isn't one of the parameters I've seen written on the inside of the box. I'm also curious about SUT matching. Thanks.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
What's the internal impedance of the Master Signature? This isn't one of the parameters I've seen written on the inside of the box. I'm also curious about SUT matching. Thanks.

I thought it was ~30ohms

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Where is this number from, it has not been mentioned anywhere

Can’t remember but I read it somewhere on the web hence why I posted. Could be incorrect though.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Can’t remember but I read it somewhere on the web hence why I posted. Could be incorrect though.

These are the values of the regular colibri models:

36 Ohm +/- 10%
21 Ohm +/- 10%
96 Ohm +/- 10%

Either way they are high impedance designs.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Thanks. Which models correspond to each of those impedances? High impedance isn't terribly convenient, and I would like to know the exact value of the Master Sig. But it sounds like my current SUT is not a good match, being designed for a max of 4 ohm, so I'd need a new one. The other concern I have with this cart is its output, but my understanding is that they can be made substantially lower in output upon request? So that may not be an issue.

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
Thanks. Which models correspond to each of those impedances? High impedance isn't terribly convenient, and I would like to know the exact value of the Master Sig. But it sounds like my current SUT is not a good match, being designed for a max of 4 ohm, so I'd need a new one. The other concern I have with this cart is its output, but my understanding is that they can be made substantially lower in output upon request? So that may not be an issue.

I believe the Master Sig at standard output (1.2mV) is 36? - I have a 0.9mV version which is 39?.

I got this information from a contact who reached out to his dealer in Europe.

When I asked the US distributor, they gave me a standard value of 13? which is clearly too low given the output level this cart is capable of.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
If you are really behind to get the "best" step up, you should be aware, that the Colibri Cross coil has not the same wire length for the left and the right channel, it is like the half of a round wire length less on one channel, so the +/- 10% is also reflecting the possible difference between the channels. Doing a "perfect match" step up would mean to address this situation :)

There is a reason, that the vdh Grail PhonoPreamp is a current driven phono stage, as this is independent from the coil resistance.

But to be fair, I never heard a difference in this regard , comparing different Phonostages.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
@shakti now that's the first and only explanation I've ever seen to explain the common claim that the Colibri carts are best paired with the VDH phonos. And it's a good explanation!

Does anyone know the lowest output AJ can design for?

Reactions: kodomo

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
@shakti now that's the first and only explanation I've ever seen to explain the common claim that the Colibri carts are best paired with the VDH phonos. And it's a good explanation!

Fortunately there are more Phonostages out there with current stage amplification
(like CH Precision)

As said, I was not able to hear the difference ( so far).
Building a custom step up is a unique design anyhow,
so why not building it according to the real DC resistance by channel.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
That's certainly possible to do if AJ characterized the impedance per coil and provides the info to the buyer. Does he do this?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
If someone is asking very politeful, I am sure, he will answer. But it would be better to ask together with the order of a vdh cartridge, as than you can get the information for the dedicated cartridge.

Somewhere in the www it was mentioned, which of the coil windings is the shorter, which one the longer. From there you know, which channel as a minimal higher DC resistance.

But this is very minor with the gold wire coils.

I was behind this, as I had the platinum coils colibri with a DC resistance of 500 ohms,
with this platinum coil wire the difference was more significant.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
To be honest, the best thing to do is take the max of the two and design the SUT to that. It's OK to be on the high side, but wouldn't want to be on the low side.

Do you happen to know the lowest output available? I think @Tango has 0,5mV?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Does anyone know the lowest output AJ can design for?

Don't see why, never heard that common claim. Tang is using EMT, David is using Lamm, Schroeder and Schick use Silbatone in the WE room, Kevin of vox Olympian uses Kondo, all sound fantastic.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just one detail - please DO NOT try to measure the resistance of the coils using an ohmmeter. Most of them inject significant current to measure a low resistance and will immediately burn the wires or damage the coils of the cartridge.

But unless we have real numbers we can't comment on such issues.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Don't see why, never heard that common claim. Tang is using EMT, David is using Lamm, Schroeder and Schick use Silbatone in the WE room, Kevin of vox Olympian uses Kondo, all sound fantastic.
Dealers make the claim. And now there's a technical explanation for it, which is rare when dealers make such claims usually.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dealers make the claim. And now there's a technical explanation for it, which is rare when dealers make such claims usually.

Probably VDH dealers do it to sell VdH products

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Most of the time yes, but it seems there's a good reason behind the current sense amplification in VdH phonos. I'm still considering Master Sig for a next cart, despite not using one of these phonos (VdH, CHP).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you are really behind to get the "best" step up, you should be aware, that the Colibri Cross coil has not the same wire length for the left and the right channel, it is like the half of a round wire length less on one channel, so the +/- 10% is also reflecting the possible difference between the channels.

Do you have any picture illustrating the cross shaped modulator scheme or a detailed description of it? What is exactly meant by "the half of a round wire length less "?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing