The Analog DAC

cuprone1

Feb 10, 2013
Italy
I'd be surprised if there was much of a diffrence. The spdif is buffered and reclocked. I will try the USB against my offramp 5 converter myself at some point and predict the offramp will be on Audiogon shortly. However, I bought a unit with USB, and the offramp / battery / cabling is $5k msrp, so for me it would make sense to go the USB route financially.

Edorr,
I am looking forward to read your considerations.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
For what it's worth, I've tried my Diamond DAC with my MacBook Pro via the built in USB option, as well as the MF VLink 192, and the internal USB was quite a bit better.
I know it's considerably more expensive, but I don't expect any $300-500 converter to beat the internal USB option...
Also, not convinced on Jriver on Windows. I installed it on a MacBook Pro, and it sounded slightly worse than the same machine with MacOS and Audirvana...

Alexandre

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I'd suggest people try Foobar with Windows. I preferred it to JRiver and Foobar uses almost no resources. MSB should be able to offer assistance on how to set it up.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I'd suggest people try Foobar with Windows. I preferred it to JRiver and Foobar uses almost no resources. MSB should be able to offer assistance on how to set it up.

It is pretty straight forward. I use Chris's CAPS system where I have turned off most services. I just love the ease of JRiver and JRemote makes using the server headless a great experience as well as great sound. I guess the issue is Mac v. Windows and I just think there is no comparison. It took me a long time to try a full blown Windows server, having bought into the hype of Mac based music servers and for me, there is no going back. I once again "tried" the latest Mac based players after reading the accolades of Audirvana 1.4+ and still like, by a fair margin, Windows.

Hey, but to each his own and whatever people find best and works best for themselves is all that matters.

cuprone1

Feb 10, 2013
Italy
For what it's worth, I've tried my Diamond DAC with my MacBook Pro via the built in USB option, as well as the MF VLink 192, and the internal USB was quite a bit better.
I know it's considerably more expensive, but I don't expect any $300-500 converter to beat the internal USB option...
Also, not convinced on Jriver on Windows. I installed it on a MacBook Pro, and it sounded slightly worse than the same machine with MacOS and AudirvanTHANKS

Alexandre

thanks Alexandre

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
cuprone1 - I did some comparisions today. I have compared the MSB Signature 384 internal USB module to my BADA Alpha USB/SPDIF converter ($1900) and Stealth Varidig Sextet ($3600) AES/EBU digital cable. The BADA is in my experience, the best outboard converter available on the market today (I have tried over 15 different converters, including M2tech EVO, with and without the optional EVO Clock and EVO Power Supply) and so is the Stealth cable.

To my surprise, the MSB USB module turned out to sound slightly better than the BADA / Stealth combination. It offers slightly better resolution, better layering of instruments and resolving each performer in space. So even though I think that selling $30 worth of parts for $1300 is as a first class rip off, the MSB USB module is the way to go with MSB gear.

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
cuprone1 - I did some comparisions today. I have compared the MSB Signature 384 internal USB module to my BADA Alpha USB/SPDIF converter ($1900) and Stealth Varidig Sextet ($3600) AES/EBU digital cable. The BADA is in my experience, the best outboard converter available on the market today (I have tried over 15 different converters, including M2tech EVO, with and without the optional EVO Clock and EVO Power Supply) and so is the Stealth cable.

To my surprise, the MSB USB module turned out to sound slightly better than the BADA / Stealth combination. It offers slightly better resolution, better layering of instruments and resolving each performer in space. So even though I think that selling $30 worth of parts for $1300 is as a first class rip off, the MSB USB module is the way to go with MSB gear.

What USB source did you use? It is all about the architecture in my estimation. In asynchronous / reclocking mode all the source does is load bits into a FIFO buffer. It is very conceivable using a few grand worth of hardware to do this job, gains you nothing over using USB, as you appear to be confirming.

cuprone1

Feb 10, 2013
Italy

Many thanks Elberoth, usuful information to decide if using external interface or Usb input. I will go with this one and with Galaxy clock as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing