Test Records

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Much to my delight I came across a HI-FI SOUND Stereo Test Record (AFS 69) in my Calgary stash. I looked at it and knew I didn't buy it, so I had to think long and hard as to how it got there. Then I remembered using it decades ago for testing a new Grado 8MZ cartridge. A friend of mine lent me this and I guess I never gave it back to him. (Sorry Raymond). We've drifted apart due to moves and such, otherwise I'd give it back. Oh well.

Anyway, I must have misplaced the datasheet that came with it, but found one online this morning. I sent it to my work email for printing it off tomorrow.

The record is minty, so it should still be a usable item. However, it was produced in 1969 and I'm wondering if the test procedures they used then are still relevant today?

Here are pics of the front/back:

IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0301.JPG

May 30, 2010
Portugal
John,

Only now I found your post - you got an excellent test disk - I own the HI-FI SOUND 81 Stereo Test Record (AFS 81), a less old version of it. Track 1 of side 2 is great for adjusting lateral azimuth of tonearms - you should adjust for equal crosstalk for both channels. I also use track 4 with a wow and flutter meter to adjust motor power and belt tension of my turntable.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Johnny, you might consider calling or emailing Gerard at UHFmag about your concerns ... I find him very forthright and helpful. As per that disk, I've read Gerard's views on other such disks, and I would agree ... many are useless, and some advocate incorrect practices (such as those that use a flat un-modulated groove for anti-skate settings). This one might be one of the better ones ...

tb1

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Johnny, you might consider calling or emailing Gerard at UHFmag about your concerns ... I find him very forthright and helpful. As per that disk, I've read Gerard's views on other such disks, and I would agree ... many are useless, and some advocate incorrect practices (such as those that use a flat un-modulated groove for anti-skate settings). This one might be one of the better ones ...

tb1
Although - I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that it's the same Hi Fi Sound that became UHF?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Although - I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that it's the same Hi Fi Sound that became UHF?
Of that I'm not sure, but a note to Gerard is good advice. I've just rearranged a lot of my vinyl as I bought another storage unit, so I need to look for the LP (again).

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
've just rearranged a lot of my vinyl as I bought another storage unit, so I need to look for the LP (again).
Johnny, didn't you just have it in your possession? However, who am I to "talk" ... I recently misplaced a turntable-mat which I only use for cartridge alignment / setups - gone within the small confines of my listening room. I've looked everywhere ... perhaps it didn't want to partake in any further abuse - so it went "I'm outta here" ... left all by it lonesome ... but my guess ... well, it's as good as yours ...

tb1

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Johnny, didn't you just have it in your possession? However, who am I to "talk" ... I recently misplaced a turntable-mat which I only use for cartridge alignment / setups - gone within the small confines of my listening room. I've looked everywhere ... perhaps it didn't want to partake in any further abuse - so it went "I'm outta here" ... left all by it lonesome ... but my guess ... well, it's as good as yours ...

tb1
I have it....just don't know where I placed it. Won't take me long to find......it's just a hassle and reminds me that I really need to get a better system in place.

About us

• Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing