Telefunken M15 vs Studer A80RC

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
with 1:10 SUT a good phonopreamp too ;)

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Here is mine, calibrated and measured by myself. :) I can't quite read the scale on yours. I usually set the upper frequencies at about +.5dB.

I can be as anal as anyone else, however, flat FR has almost nothing to do with sound quality.

Attachments

• Plot 1r.jpg
    Plot 1r.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 10

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
with 1:10 SUT a good phonopreamp too ;)
Have you got one of these, Stephan?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Here is mine, calibrated and measured by myself. :) I can't quite read the scale on yours. I usually set the upper frequencies at about +.5dB.

I can be as anal as anyone else, however, flat FR has almost nothing to do with sound quality.

However what is clearly apparent from the measured data is no 2 machines will sound the same. So comparing a “Telefunken m15” to a “Studer A80” is entirely dependent on the specific samples in question.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

Flat FR is a pre requisite thats all .
Its a basic requirement for good sound , off course there are many other factors everybody is aware of that .

At eternal arts they measured and listened ( and recorded with ) to just about all models/ brands in existence, the ones he wouldnt sell were the studer A 80 and C37 :)

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
That is true of ANY statement, made by ANYONE at ANY time, in a conversation, article or a review.

I don't think, however, that it is true ENTIRELY, as there are such usually some common traits.

If you are referring to my particular test, then its purpose was narrowly defined: to figure out which of many decks in MY possession should "I" use for making MY recordings. That question was satisfactory answered.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
That is true of ANY statement, made by ANYONE at ANY time, in a conversation, article or a review.

I don't think, however, that it is true ENTIRELY, as there are such usually some common traits.

If you are referring to my particular test, then its purpose was narrowly defined: to figure out which of many decks in MY possession should "I" use for making MY recordings. That question was satisfactory answered.
I m not refererring to your test .
Just ask any well known recording engineer

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Flat FR is a pre requisite thats all .
Its a basic requirement for good sound ,
I don't see it that way, and the plots, posted here, could be considered either flat enough, or not flat, as there is simply no established , as you put it, prerequisite, in existence. There are some very fine sounding machines with FR variation on the order of +/-1dB, and also poorly sounding one that measure much better. So I just don't put too much credence in FR measurements.

Reactions: Edward Pong

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Just ask any well known recording engineer
I am asking YOU: what is the require prerequisite flatness to FR that separates acceptable from unacceptable?

To simply say "as good as possible" doesn't get anyone any place, as it is not an accepted engineering term.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Yes makes sense and in your context makes perfect sense. The issue is that one can’t extrapolate unfortunately to machines of these brands broadly. On the other hand, (most) dac sample to sample variation is nowhere in the realm of the variation we see here with r2r machines as an example so in that context a DCS Vivaldi can be more easily compared to an Aqua Formula and results extrapolated albeit still in the context of that particular system only.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
There are some very fine sounding machines with FR variation on the order of +/-1dB
Look thats fine +- 1 db but you have to mention the range as well for example over a 40 hz - 16 khz range , be more specific .
A lot of speakers will not live up to +- 3 db over a 30 hz - 16 khz range despite manufacturer claims .
My studer B62 doesnt meet +- 1 db over 20 - 20 khz either but it still absolutely smokes digital with good tapes .
I wish my B 62 was flatter though

Last edited:

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Like I said, when I calibrate a machine I strive for flatness, and Telefunken M15A was one of the easiest and best behaved machined in calibration.
It turned out, it still produced, what was agreed upon between several listeners, dark sound. And if you read audiophile publications, dark sound is associated with rolled off top. Go figure...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
For me all that counts is that my machines with good tapes can smoke some high $$$$ stacked digital components at a show / dealer .
Meanwhile my studer is connected to a wall outlet using a simple power cord and those at the dealer are connected with arm thick cables costing thousands of $$$
If i achieve that my goal has been achieved and i am happy :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
For me all that counts is that my machines with good tapes can smoke some high $$$$ stacked digital components at a show / dealer .
Meanwhile my studer is connected to a wall outlet using a simple power cord and those at the dealer are connected with arm thick cables costing thousands of $$$
If i achieve that my goal has been achieved and i am happy :)

It is all in the format. A great tape is unsurpassed by any medium imho.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Like I said, when I calibrate a machine I strive for flatness, and Telefunken M15A was one of the easiest and best behaved machined in calibration.
It turned out, it still produced, what was agreed upon between several listeners, dark sound. And if you read audiophile publications, dark sound is associated with rolled off top. Go figure...
yes but andromeda has that covered also ;), how do the speakers measure on which you were listening to the telefunken ?

These are mine measured on axis (turned at the listeners ear ) , if i turn them outwards a bit i have a slightly rolled of top end which is more natural sounding
1636569460016.jpeg

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Okay that was cheating a bit 1/2 oct smoothfactor .

Now 1/6 oct smoothed with slightly different mic position , under 400 hz is highly influenced by the room off course

1636569765209.gif

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
You might think i have a slight dip at the X over freq but its not , i can make another measurement by just moving the mic 10 -15 cm and that dip is gone and we have another slight dip or bump somewhere else .
Speaker positioning is always about trying to find a balance off course

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
It is all in the format. A great tape is unsurpassed by any medium imho.
I like my levinson digital and it can do some things tape cant .
But with some good tapes its just no contest no matter how expensive the digital stack and how thick the cables are .

But Foxbat coming back to your test , you said the Ampex 102 was the winner ??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing